ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-23-2013, 05:43 PM   #2146
Jamie
.
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: Shelby, NC
Oddometer: 1,218
Folks,
I'm teaching my 8 year old son how to ride his dirt bike. He needs some wide open spaces to learn on. I've considered some local off road parks, but he's very timid around other riders and needs to build his confidence level up before I feel comfortable with that. Does anyone know of any places to for him to ride regularly or even a few acres to lease or rent? Shelby, Lincolnton, Hickory, etc. areas would be ideal.

Thanks.
Jamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:44 PM   #2147
patbrown
Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Boone NC
Oddometer: 37
Thanks for the reply. After meeting up with the guys in Va and seeing their bikes I need to stay off gravel.
Any thoughts on cutting around that section and still maximize parkway time?
Edit. This is to the BRP closure on the previous page. On my phone and forgot to quote.
Pb
patbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:51 PM   #2148
knybanjo
kinda slow
 
knybanjo's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: out in the clover patch
Oddometer: 22,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
Folks,
I'm teaching my 8 year old son how to ride his dirt bike. He needs some wide open spaces to learn on. I've considered some local off road parks, but he's very timid around other riders and needs to build his confidence level up before I feel comfortable with that. Does anyone know of any places to for him to ride regularly or even a few acres to lease or rent? Shelby, Lincolnton, Hickory, etc. areas would be ideal.

Thanks.
I haven't been by Cherokee Speedway outside of Blacksburg lately but there's a vacant industrial lot that was being used for that...free too. CLICK HERE for google map





__________________
knybanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:01 PM   #2149
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire
 
GlennR's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Boone,NC
Oddometer: 1,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by patbrown View Post
Thanks for the reply. After meeting up with the guys in Va and seeing their bikes I need to stay off gravel.
Any thoughts on cutting around that section and still maximize parkway time?
Edit. This is to the BRP closure on the previous page. On my phone and forgot to quote.
Pb

Hey Pat,

Are you planning to go to the RDV rally in Hampton, TN next month? Is your KTM plated yet?
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:55 AM   #2150
mel brooks
Dirt Chick
 
mel brooks's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Western NC
Oddometer: 1,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
Is there a road in North Carolina that you don't have in your portfolio?

Nope. Over on KLRWorld we have coined a phrase just for him since any time someone posts a pic Kev will post a pic where he's already been there beforehand.

The phrase is being "Banjoed"
__________________
KLX 351 Super Moto, 292cc Super Sherpa

“Everytime I start thinkin’ the world is all bad, then I start seeing some people out having a good time on motorcycles and it makes me take another look.”
Steve McQueen, On Any Sunday
mel brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:52 AM   #2151
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire
 
GlennR's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Boone,NC
Oddometer: 1,804
I think he might work for Google Maps!!
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:12 AM   #2152
bpg
Off Trail
 
bpg's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Charlotte, NC (summer back home in western PA)
Oddometer: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel brooks View Post
Nope. Over on KLRWorld we have coined a phrase just for him since any time someone posts a pic Kev will post a pic where he's already been there beforehand.

The phrase is being "Banjoed"
Banjoed - love it!
__________________
- Brendan
'08 Yamaha WR250R (sold)
'78 Honda XL250
'02 Honda CBR1100XX




bpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:07 AM   #2153
valvecrusher OP
tractus pro pensio™
 
valvecrusher's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Dos Circlos
Oddometer: 1,653
fyi:
Brown Mtn is rough at the moment...

probably need a good riding weekend for the quads to kick rocks(boulders) out of the main trailways..

and most trails are very soupy, slick and conditions nearing 'unmaintained'..



If Brown was a beach, it would have a red square or a black diamond..
(currently)



be careful, and cya soon~
__________________
Honda NX250??
I prefer to ride, and when i do, it's 'un Equi

valvecrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 07:44 PM   #2154
dj4tune
Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Western NC
Oddometer: 76
WR250R wheel set for sale

Sup. Haven't been on in a while, been busy. Bad news is I totaled my bike on trail 10 trying to clear the big mud hole at the bottom. Good news is I have a custom wheel set (Yamaha OEM blue hubs, and SM PRO Platium anadized black rims, and stainless steel spokes. Two rides at brown mtn on them. Includes 18" Bridgestone M204 rear, and 21" Geomax 51F front tires. Heavy duty tubes front and rear, and bead lock on the rear. Great condition.) for sale for you wrr guys. Bike landed on top, so wheels where spared, though engine, electronics, radiator, etc.... got trashed. Allstate totaled it out, put original wheels back on it before they picked it up. Call me if interested, 704-340-2387


http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/...ps0c2f5807.jpg
__________________
“Problems are the price of progress. Don't bring me anything but trouble. Good news weakens me.”

dj4tune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:30 PM   #2155
wickedthunder.com
Who's leading?!
 
wickedthunder.com's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Lenoir, NC
Oddometer: 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj4tune View Post
Sup. Haven't been on in a while, been busy. Bad news is I totaled my bike on trail 10 trying to clear the big mud hole at the bottom. Good news is I have a custom wheel set (Yamaha OEM blue hubs, and SM PRO Platium anadized black rims, and stainless steel spokes. Two rides at brown mtn on them. Includes 18" Bridgestone M204 rear, and 21" Geomax 51F front tires. Heavy duty tubes front and rear, and bead lock on the rear. Great condition.) for sale for you wrr guys. Bike landed on top, so wheels where spared, though engine, electronics, radiator, etc.... got trashed. Allstate totaled it out, put original wheels back on it before they picked it up. Call me if interested, 704-340-2387


http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/...ps0c2f5807.jpg
Darrell,

Got your message the other day but like you, its been super busy lately and this is the first time I've been on ADV in a week or so. I don't know anybody right off hand that might be looking for those but have a few guys I've put in calls to so maybe I can help you move them a little quicker.
__________________
Kevin
www.wickedthunder.com
info@wickedthunder.com
1411-A Hickory Blvd. SE
Lenoir, NC 28645
828-728-7633
M-F 9:30-5:30pm EST

06 DRZ400S (Blue)
03 GSXR1000 (Silver) "The Beast"
wickedthunder.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:20 PM   #2156
dj4tune
Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Western NC
Oddometer: 76
Awesome

Thanks for the help. Trying to stay local as the deal will be sweeter. Don't want to bother with shipping and crap that comes from eBay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedthunder.com View Post
Darrell,

Got your message the other day but like you, its been super busy lately and this is the first time I've been on ADV in a week or so. I don't know anybody right off hand that might be looking for those but have a few guys I've put in calls to so maybe I can help you move them a little quicker.
__________________
“Problems are the price of progress. Don't bring me anything but trouble. Good news weakens me.”

dj4tune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:58 AM   #2157
ihatefalling
Let it roll
 
ihatefalling's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Franklin, TN
Oddometer: 3,242
Hey HARDCORE guys - looking at the maps just west-ish of Hot Springs -

Does Upper Shut-in Road go anywhere?
Does it connect with Wolf Creek road and then over to Round Mtn campground?

Also - if you go SW out of Hot Springs on 209, then in "Bluff" you take a right on Gorenflo and take a left on Bluff Mtn road - does that go anywhere? Does it connect with Upper Shut-in Or??

Thanks doods . .
__________________
We gunna debitchulate you boy . . . .
ihatefalling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 12:01 PM   #2158
Hoodis
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Hoodis's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: East of Unifour
Oddometer: 120
Dual Sport Ride Next Month

Hoodis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 12:02 PM   #2159
Hoodis
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Hoodis's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: East of Unifour
Oddometer: 120
Adventure Ride in October

Hoodis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 02:05 PM   #2160
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire
 
GlennR's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Boone,NC
Oddometer: 1,804
Those rides look like fun. Wish I had DOT tires mounted on the WR. I guess I could just ride the XT225, considering it's okay for 650's.

Is there a link for the second ride? I couldn't read the little flyer because it got fuzzy when I enlarged it.
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014