ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2014, 05:19 PM   #2191
Hoodis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Horse trails in the morning - that tree looks familiar:

Iron Mountain after lunch:
Hoodis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 06:04 PM   #2192
turtlemoye
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 597
I'd love to tag along this weekend if you go back Hoodis.

2013 Husky Terra

2013 Husky TE 511
turtlemoye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 09:28 AM   #2193
BaldKnob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Going to Brushy Mt

Any HARDCORE inmates riding this weekend? Got two from the coast heading up on Friday and plan on riding Saturday as well. Both bikes are tagged and quasi-legal but we're planning on just riding in the park. I wish Brown Mt were open, more gravel road opportunities over there.
BaldKnob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 05:28 PM   #2194
Mr. Blank
country punk

Oddometer: 36
whats it take to become an inmate I'm live between Spruce Pine and Linville Gorge. Been riding solo since everyone seems to be hour south (Asheville) or hour north (Boone) I ride normally every weekend. I'm close enough to Brown mtn when open and all the gravel around Wilson's Creek and lost cove. But I ride mostly woods/trail close to home lots of unexplored mining, logging, and atv... and just plain bushwhacking just to see the next ridge. Show me your trails and I'll show you mine
Old 03-21-2014, 07:08 PM   #2195
Hoodis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlemoye View Post
I'd love to tag along this weekend if you go back Hoodis.
Looks pretty wet-like up in SW Virginia this weekend. Next weekend is the last chance on the seasonal trails till October.
Hoodis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 05:01 PM   #2196
valvecrusher OP
tractus pro pensio™

Oddometer: 1,710
The Elders of Wilson Creek blessed the riding area yesterday...

The washboards were smoothed...
It was very sticky and tacky hardpack clay, with fabulous traction..

No, make that AMAZING loamy goodness...in spots...but overall a 96% awesome riding surface in the Hills of Globe...

The Rainbow Sally was Epic.... the ride was.....~Legendary!

I only saw two rooster tails going the other way on the Sally, any confessors?
(ya'll were cutting WAY inside of the apexes?)

oh yeah, No Dust....
None at all!

And the Forest Service didn't seem to mind me ripping up the lonely roads..just a quick ~ wavearound and Ceeya! badgey-types!

Just an update, provided by the Blue Blur Geo Rider

valvecrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 12:25 PM   #2197
OhioPT
Adventure Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,099
Howdy fellow dual sporters. My wife and I are considering relocating to Western NC. I've been doing quite a bit of online research, and I think we narrowed our search area down to south-western Asheville (between Mills River and Brevard), and possibly the Boone area.

I like to ride mtn bikes as much as motorcycles. We both work in healthcare so we have to be relatively close to civilization and hospitals. We have a 2 year old son, so good schools will be important. We prefer slightly cooler weather if we have a choice, so we'd like to be a little higher in elevation (Asheville/Brevard is as low as we'd want to go). It looks like mtn biking options are great in southwest Asheville, and there are some good mtb trails not too far from Boone.

I'm looking for input on the offroad motorcycle riding scene in the area. I prefer tight and technical single track. I'd choose an enduro any day over a harescramble. The only two legal areas I know of are Brushy and Brown Mtn. Is there anything else close by, like decent "outlaw" trails? Anything closer to Asheville?
OhioPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 09:43 PM   #2198
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,993
I enjoy living near Boone, but the winters last too long sometimes. The real estate prices are very high and the wages are low. There's not a lot job of opportunities. Boone is an hour from any interstate and airports aren't close either, so travelling is more time consuming than from Asheville.

NC teacher pay is #46, which is a sad situation. The Republicans seem to be shooting for #50....
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 11:51 AM   #2199
Jamie

Oddometer: 1,219
You can't go wrong either way when just considering motorcycling. I would give the edge to Boone given your fondness for single track. Miles and miles and miles of forest roads just down the mountain. (Mtn. bike trails, too.) As a matter of fact, you can drop off the mountain on a gravel road from the middle of Blowing Rock to get there.

If you are considering the unimportant stuff, Asheville has a lot more to offer as far as variety in shopping, travel access, eating, etc., jobs, and the climate is quite pleasing.
Jamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 11:52 AM   #2200
Jamie

Oddometer: 1,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by valvecrusher View Post
The Elders of Wilson Creek blessed the riding area yesterday...

Haven't been up there since fall. Sounds like I need to get off my arse!
Jamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 12:52 PM   #2201
OhioPT
Adventure Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,099
Yeah, I noticed that housing is more expensive around Boone, and everything looks like it's built on the side of a cliff I've heard the job market is limited in Boone. However, I see there are openings for both my wife and I at the moment.

I think we'd be fine with the Boone weather. Our winters here in Ohio are actually colder, and we get just as much snow. Our summers are hotter too, so we get the worst of both worlds. Now you can see why we'd like to get out of here

I think the biggest downside to Boone is it's isolation from other towns/cities and airports. If things don't work out with a job in Boone, then you'd probably have to drive 30 minutes or more to find another job somewhere else. In Asheville, you are not too far from Hendersonville or Brevard to find work at a hospital. The closest airport to Boone is in Charlotte, and it's almost 2 hours away. In Asheville, you have the regional airport right there, and you're only 1 hour from GSP, and Charlotte is still 2 hours away.

I guess I should really focus on Asheville for practical reasons. So where can you ride offroad single track and double track near Asheville? Do you have to drive all the way to Brown Mtn or Brushy??
OhioPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 05:56 AM   #2202
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,993
Google Earth Updated

Google just updated their images of our area. The new images were shot before the foliage sprouted and the detail is great (unless you're hiding! ).

You can see trails everywhere. There's been a frenzy of logging lately and Google Earth zooms right in.

(Remember to brush up on your trespassing excuses...Not that I would condone such a thing.)
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 03:34 PM   #2203
JDiemicke
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Hi my names Jameson my buddy Matt told me about you guys, and I have owned my KLR650 for a year and a half now and am definitely looking into doing some group riding. So I would definitely be interested next time you guys do something. Thanks

By the way I live in Statesville NC.
JDiemicke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 07:11 PM   #2204
CanteenBoy
Slammin' the ol' Jammer

Oddometer: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDiemicke View Post
Hi my names Jameson my buddy Matt told me about you guys, and I have owned my KLR650 for a year and a half now and am definitely looking into doing some group riding. So I would definitely be interested next time you guys do something. Thanks

By the way I live in Statesville NC.
Indeed, prime riding season is upon us...anyone up for maple Sally and some hot dogs at Betsy's anytime soon?
CanteenBoy is offline   Reply With Quote