ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2008, 12:17 PM   #241
wickedthunder.com
Who's leading?!

Oddometer: 494
Puke

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlrides
Richlands is a public road (the main road that dumps into Aho rd)! The residents there are giving the impression that it is a private road. This was originally a postal route trail used in the 1800's. There was also a logging community in the early 1900's, which has a graveyard, which cannot be blocked. Ride past the gate, and twist the throttle !
You're right...the residents have been trying to stop the traffic through there for years like they own the whole road, but I think it's mostly the 4x4 trucks & jeeps they are trying to discourage from coming through there. Younger kids go down in there to the "playground" and drink, litter, raise hell and those are the ones they're trying to stop...not us Responsible Dual-sporters

I can't say much though, I used to be one of those "younger kids" raising hell back there...about 15 years ago!
1411-A Hickory Blvd. SE
Lenoir, NC 28645
828-728-7633
M-F 9:30-5:30pm EST

06 DRZ400S (Blue)
03 GSXR1000 (Silver) "The Beast"
wickedthunder.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 02:56 PM   #242
Basher
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 152
it was kinda funny. It was an oldish looking yellow gate that I don't remember beeing there this past summer. There was a house right past it on the left. Right before the gate there was a couple POSTED no treaspassing signs on trees but that was it. Another thing that was funny is that the gate was held shut by a bungy cord. I've never gone all the way through. Is there a gate on the other end comming into Rishlands. I know if you go that way off 321 right after the creek crossing there is a stop sign that says no treaspassing. I've not been any further than that.
Basher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 03:32 PM   #243
wickedthunder.com
Who's leading?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basher
it was kinda funny. It was an oldish looking yellow gate that I don't remember beeing there this past summer. There was a house right past it on the left. Right before the gate there was a couple POSTED no treaspassing signs on trees but that was it. Another thing that was funny is that the gate was held shut by a bungy cord. I've never gone all the way through. Is there a gate on the other end comming into Rishlands. I know if you go that way off 321 right after the creek crossing there is a stop sign that says no treaspassing. I've not been any further than that.
Yeah, it goes all the way through and turns into Penley Rd. when you cross into Watauga county and it comes out on Sampson Rd. a few miles above Buffalo Cove. There's no gate on that side of it...or at least I've never seen one. We usually come in from that side and run it back towards the Lenoir side. The Watauga side is pretty smooth sailing and with only a few houses at the start but it doesn't get rough until you get to the Caldwell county side.
1411-A Hickory Blvd. SE
Lenoir, NC 28645
828-728-7633

06 DRZ400S (Blue)
Old 02-18-2008, 04:03 PM   #244
xtphreak
from B4 "adventure bikes"

Oddometer: 7,963
some times it takes some research on old roads

property owners post no trespassing signs on trees/posts on each side of a road and most people assume that means the road is private ... as they want you to assume.

really the property on each side of the right-of-way is private and can be posted, but not the right-of-way.

I'd say go to the county courthouse and find the property in the plat book and see if it's shown as a right-of-way.

PITA, but if you get a copy and go on and the law gets called, IF you get caught, you can show the man the facts.

I think the law in NC still says a road must be blocked uncontested 7 years before they can ask that the right-of-way be closed legally.

although if they have the $$ and connections they can getter done sooner ...i.e. Hog Rock Road in Henderson Cty.
Robert A. Heinlen
Adventure is discomfort recounted at leisure. Flash / GSWayne
Chrome don't get ya home. Rob Nye
Stamp Out Hoplophobia in Our lifetimes.
1999 Tiger 885
1995 XT600E
xtphreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 06:06 PM   #245
knybanjo
kinda slow

Oddometer: 23,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtphreak
I think the law in NC still says a road must be blocked uncontested 7 years before they can ask that the right-of-way be closed legally.
I've heard of this before, and I think that if we want it to remain open it would be our responsibility to even "cut locks" on an "illegal" gate to prevent it from becoming permanent.

Do we have anyone here with legal connections in that county? (Caldwell) (maybe even Watauga)

As far as contesting the closure....Who should we complain to?

I would think that there would need to ba a paper trail created in order to keep it legally open if in fact somebody is trying to have it closed legally.
Old 02-18-2008, 07:18 PM   #246
RockinXJ
gettin the hang of it.

Oddometer: 175
People can get nasty. Stringing up wires and such. I would say point it out to the rangers and let them take it down would be the first option. They would require open access for fire control. So they would make the landowners take the gate down or just do it themselves. Again a PITA but probably the best way to start.
Old 02-18-2008, 07:31 PM   #247
knybanjo
kinda slow

Oddometer: 23,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinXJ
People can get nasty. Stringing up wires and such. I would say point it out to the rangers and let them take it down would be the first option. They would require open access for fire control. So they would make the landowners take the gate down or just do it themselves. Again a PITA but probably the best way to start.
Rangers have no jurisdiction up there. It's neither state nor national forest lands, the land on both sides of Richlands Rd is private.

I took a peek at the Caldwell Co. GIS (and didn't like what I saw) I found that the "right of way" seems to suddenly end shortly before the Watauga Co line.

On one map it just stops at the boundry of a 411ac parcell owned by a Corp. in Lenoir (Dennis Creek LLC) and it appears they may have property in both counties. I wanted to see what Watauga Co shows Penley Rd doing.....

The half dozen owners up to that point have property on both sides of the road....it cuts right through their land.

I didn't have any luck with the GIS maps for Watauga Co...they wouldn't zoom in for me.

All I know is that it would be nice to be able to keep that right of way open.

Quote:
Another thing that was funny is that the gate was held shut by a bungy cord.
That is encouraging news.......maybe just trying to get the "uninformed" to turn back.

knybanjo screwed with this post 02-20-2008 at 09:28 PM
knybanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 08:54 AM   #248
RockinXJ
gettin the hang of it.

Oddometer: 175
Local fire dept.?
Old 02-19-2008, 03:48 PM   #249
Basher
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedthunder.com
Yeah, it goes all the way through and turns into Penley Rd. when you cross into Watauga county and it comes out on Sampson Rd. a few miles above Buffalo Cove. There's no gate on that side of it...or at least I've never seen one. We usually come in from that side and run it back towards the Lenoir side. The Watauga side is pretty smooth sailing and with only a few houses at the start but it doesn't get rough until you get to the Caldwell county side.
Actually this is where the gate was. And IF I'm looking at the maps knybanjo posted correctly it's right around where that right of way ends. Please oh please let this not be. It's right after those few houses you speak of. If you go in from Sampson you eventually come to 2 real nice houses on the left and one shack looking place on the right, the gate is shortly after those houses. One road goes off to the right and one goes straight. Both marked posted(only on trees) but when you go straight that's where the gate it.
Old 02-19-2008, 05:46 PM   #250
silverwolf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
Property research is really tough to do. If you guys figure this one out I'd love to know how. Any surveyer's around that do this on a regular basis? The NCDOT doesn't know what they own half the time as some roads have recorded right of ways and some only have what is called a maintained right of way or "we've had a road here so long it just becomes official" Even some major highways are this way much less secondary or tertiary roads. Right of ways that show up on tax maps (GIS maps are usually taken from this) may be either one and just because the ROW doesn't show up there doesn't mean there isn't one it just means the county doesn't have the information on their tax maps.

slight Hijack anybody know about the road from 197 south of burnsville up to mt. mitchell? is it open? shows up on most maps but it's posted on both sides where it turns from paved to gravel.
silverwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 11:56 AM   #251
Slappy McGee
Fatty Fat

Oddometer: 593
Anyone riding from the Charlotte/Ft. Mill area this weekend? I'm thinking of going up to Uwharrie or something similar on Sat.

Don't really know the area that well (I'm new) so I am open to suggestions. Riding an F650 with little dirt experience so I'll likley fall and/or curse a lot.
Slappy McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 12:46 PM   #252
wickedthunder.com
Who's leading?!

Quote:
Actually this is where the gate was. And IF I'm looking at the maps knybanjo posted correctly it's right around where that right of way ends. Please oh please let this not be. It's right after those few houses you speak of. If you go in from Sampson you eventually come to 2 real nice houses on the left and one shack looking place on the right, the gate is shortly after those houses. One road goes off to the right and one goes straight. Both marked posted(only on trees) but when you go straight that's where the gate it.
Man, this may be worse than I thought. I was talking about the people on the Lenoir side trying to keep hoodlums out of the Richlands, but if the residents on the Sampson Rd. side have put up a gate too this might be bad news for all. It's probably some old, blue-haired, retired Floridians that built the couple nice houses in there and don't have anything better to do than try to stop us from riding there.

The last time I came through there about 4-5 weeks ago we did run into an older couple (probably mid- to late 50's) walking along the road on the Sampson side not too far from those houses. For whatever reason the lady was holding a cat and it damn near scratched her head off trying to get away when we came by on our bikes! And before anyone gets the wrong idea...yes we did pull to the other side of the road and crept by very slowly as not to piss them off in the event that they were residents there. However, it was pretty freakin' hilarious seeing that cat try to claw it's way out of her hands... All 3 of us have stock exhausts too so we weren't loud and raising hell but they did give us that "go to hell" look as we went by.
1411-A Hickory Blvd. SE
Lenoir, NC 28645
828-728-7633

06 DRZ400S (Blue)
Old 02-20-2008, 06:17 PM   #253
Basher
Gnarly Adventurer

If it was us that cat prolly would have ripped her head off to get away. Why the hell would you go walking with a cat??? But your prolly right, it's some damned Floridiots blocking it off, or trying to do so.
Old 02-21-2008, 06:59 PM   #254
X-factor
Motarhead

Oddometer: 38
Amen brother ... I got three of those whiskery bastards (keeps the woman happy .. I need points) and I have never thought of grabbing one for an afternoon stroll. Some thing tells me we got a case of geriatric haze.
X-factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 09:37 PM   #255
wickedthunder.com
Who's leading?!

So...what's anybody's riding plans for Saturday or Sunday around the Collettsville area? Looks like the weather is supposed to clear up Friday night or early Sat. morning, but I'm sure it will be muddy mess and wet anywhere you go for a few days.
1411-A Hickory Blvd. SE
Lenoir, NC 28645
828-728-7633

06 DRZ400S (Blue)