Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2007, 05:54 AM   #1
mikeprod92211 OP
Desert Rat

Oddometer: 589
Rear shock on LC4 / Adventure

Just a curious question:
Got a 2000 LC4E with 25k on the clock, routine maintenance includes fork oil change every year.
Contemplating replacing the fork springs with a bit stiffer set (I'm 5ft 10, 210lbs).
Also thinking about a new shock spring!
When do you guys rebuild the rear shock, replace the inner fluid and fresh nitrogen?
What's the necessary frequency of that process?
BTW, there's no leakage, no oil visible on the shock, and the linkage gets fresh grease annualy!
I don't race, ride some offroad, nothing extreme, bike handles ok for me.
Thanks for your ideas / replies!
Old 12-29-2007, 06:42 AM   #2
johan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
Exactly the question I was about to post, I'm interested in answers too!

Additionally, I remember seeing a thread somewhere dicussing removal of the shock, claiming that if it was done in some smart way, it was a 2 minute operation. Which is the the easiest way to do this?

I'll probably send the shock for service though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeprod92211
Just a curious question:
Got a 2000 LC4E with 25k on the clock, routine maintenance includes fork oil change every year.
Contemplating replacing the fork springs with a bit stiffer set (I'm 5ft 10, 210lbs).
Also thinking about a new shock spring!
When do you guys rebuild the rear shock, replace the inner fluid and fresh nitrogen?
What's the necessary frequency of that process?
BTW, there's no leakage, no oil visible on the shock, and the linkage gets fresh grease annualy!
I don't race, ride some offroad, nothing extreme, bike handles ok for me.
Thanks for your ideas / replies!
johan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 06:57 AM   #3
snaggleXR650
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 244
The shock will drop down through the swingarm. You have to raise the swingarm a bit and get it in just the right position. Then after the shock is unbolted top and bottom, you can maneuver it out by twisting it just right. It's difficult at first, but when you find the secret spot it's pretty easy.
snaggleXR650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 08:42 AM   #4
Zerodog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,233
From the LC4 shocks I have seen and been servicing 12,000 seems to be when a stock LC4 shock starts to show some signs of leaking. At 15,000 and up they are pretty shot and starting to leak pretty bad. This life expectancy is shorter if you offroad hard. If you ride hard offroad or in bad conditions like mud and wet sand you can expect to service your shock yearly like a dirtbike. So at 25K if the shock has never been serviced the bike has either only been ridden on the pavement or it is possible that there is no oil left in the shock. I can't wait to see inside BMWKTMBILL's shock after his mongolia trip. He put around 12,000 hard miles on a freshly built shock. It will be interesting to see the seal and bushing wear and oil condition.

Signs of leaking are this.
  • Bottom of the shock seems to attract dirt easy
  • Rebound adjuster skanky
  • Dust cover at the base of the shock tube is black and oily
  • Drops of oil under bike
  • shock clunks on full extension
  • shock is lacking good damping or the adjustments don't seem to work
Zerodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 11:02 AM   #5
fallzboater
Kiss My Shiny Metal Ass

Oddometer: 512
Can't help on the shock life, as my SXC has only 6,500 miles. As far as springs, I'm 10 lb lighter than you (but also have the 18L tank) and would recommend 0.48 in the forks and an 8.5 on the shock.
DoD #1360

'94 Cagiva e900 Elefant
fallzboater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 05:39 PM   #6
halfcab
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 673
Had my 01 shock rebuilt a few month's ago, the rebuild did make a difference.

01 LC4 E with the large 18 tank, I'm 200 lbs and have 48's in front now, I'm going to 50's. Changed from 70 rear spring to 75.
halfcab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 07:36 PM   #7
Castleman

Oddometer: n/a
My 99 LC4e's rear shock went 32,000 before it ever showed any signs of leakage. By 34,000 miles, all of the oil was gone and the shock needed attention. I serviced the fork oil for the first time last year at 30,000 miles. The seals are the original ones and have never leaked at all. The whole damn bike has been this reliable.

Lets see, world class performance, handling, brakes, suspension and reliability. Now that's giving a person what they've paid for.
Old 12-30-2007, 03:52 AM   #8
johan
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for all the info,

FYI, my shock started feeling a tad worse at around 21000km, and is now at 25000km bad enough for a noob like me to actually feel a significant difference.
Old 12-30-2007, 06:13 AM   #9
mikeprod92211 OP
Desert Rat

Thanks for all the replies.
I gues when the weather here in So CAl desert gets to be annoying to ride, it's time for the down time for the bike. Get those items taken care of.
Or.......hmmmmm, get that nine ninety that I'd been lusting after, and then get the LC4 done.
mike
Old 12-30-2007, 10:10 AM   #10
johan
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks for all the replies.
I gues when the weather here in So CAl desert gets to be annoying to ride, it's time for the down time for the bike. Get those items taken care of.
Or.......hmmmmm, get that nine ninety that I'd been lusting after, and then get the LC4 done.
mike
Out of curiosity, how do you define annoying weather in the desert? Too hot or too cold?
Old 12-30-2007, 10:17 AM   #11
halfcab
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 673
Quote:
Originally Posted by johan
Out of curiosity, how do you define annoying weather in the desert? Too hot or too cold?
halfcab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 08:40 PM   #12
Castleman

Oddometer: n/a
Here in So. Calif, we ride from about mid October to first of April. Any other time is to hot. The only problem during the riding season is wind. I ride alot at Ocotillo Wells. I just got back yesterday and left a day early because of pending wind and rain. Its almost always sunny (Ocotillo is a bit past Palm Springs) with daytime winter temps in the mid 60's to low 70's and night temp's in the high 30's to low 40's. A good reason why So. Calif. is a good riding location except for the greenies closing more and more riding areas.
Old 12-31-2007, 06:47 AM   #13
mikeprod92211 OP
Desert Rat

Hmmmm, let me see!
110 deg +, inhale and burn your lungs, drink water out of the camelback every 5 minutes, and it burns your lips in the first gulp....facial redness from the wind blast with an off road HJC helmet...
Get the idea?
But the rest 9 months - like Castleman says....Paradise!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-31-2007, 08:16 AM   #14
johan
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Hmmmm, let me see!
110 deg +, inhale and burn your lungs, drink water out of the camelback every 5 minutes, and it burns your lips in the first gulp....facial redness from the wind blast with an off road HJC helmet...
Get the idea?
But the rest 9 months - like Castleman says....Paradise!!!!!!!!!!!
Like here then . 0 deg celsius -, inhale and burn your lungs, drink coffee out of the thermos every 5 minutes, and it freezes your lips in the first gulp....facial blueness from the wind blast with an off road HJC helmet...
Get the idea? But the rest 9 months - Paradise!!!!!!!!!!!. Well, not entirely, but good enough april to november.

Cheers
Old 12-31-2007, 08:36 AM   #15
mikeprod92211 OP
Desert Rat

Pretty good, Johan!
Happy New Year!
mike