User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2009, 04:05 PM   #1
tweeder OP
Farkle Queen

Oddometer: 436
Bluhduh KLR650 Big Gun exhaust asshat-orama

I picked up my 2005 KLR 650 with about 13K miles on it a few years back, and it's at about 21K miles now. I haven't touched the Big Gun exhaust (complete system), thinking that is hasn't become any louder, so it didn't need any maintenance (see where this is going?) The other day I noticed this hole in my side panel...what could be causing that?

So off comes the side panel, and something about how that mid pipe is connected to the can just doesn't seem right...

Why not take off the end piece and get a look at the silencer packing?

You mean the can isnt supposed to be able to slide off the mid pipe?

The whole package in it's total glory

So now I get to decide if I want to give Big Gun $100 for just a new empty muffler shell, or have a welding shop fix the shell for probably less. Anyone who can Tig aluminium should be able to do it.

I called Big Gun and supposedly you're supposed to repack those things frequently-as in measured by hours-not miles Does anyone know how long the packing material should really last? Also, there are currently no clamps to connect the mid pipe to the header, which probably caused some vibration which, in combination with the excess heat, caused the tabs on the muffler to break open. Any suggestions for keeping this thing tighter together? Maybe weld provisions for a spring onto the midpipe connecting it to the can? A clamp connecting the mid pipe to the header? Or go back to stock?

Lesson to be learned-check your exhaust-don't end up an like me.
Old 01-13-2009, 05:14 PM   #2
katbeanz
earthbound misfit, I

Oddometer: 7,281
My big gun on my xrl is older, 1999 vintage, the end caps are held in with bolts vs pop rivets. I had a guy heliarc on another canister mount further back to give it more support. With that much of the can unsupported you can see how much stress it's putting on that connection. The core does nothing structurally.

I don't think your issue had anything to do with not getting it repacked. The performance gain from the header pipes makes it worth repairing the muffler to me.
If you can get your existing mount to line up you could shorten the can a half inch, use some stainless steel pop rivets and fresh packing and be good to go. I'd still add another mounting tab.
I have my original end cap and competition core from when I assembled my spark arrestor I could donate, PM for info. The turndown tip was bent when they shipped it.
I repacked mine when a buddy complained about it, probably 10,000 miles and there was barely any packing left.
I rewelded my inlet pipe last year, and repacked it again while I had it apart.
katbeanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 05:33 PM   #3
tweeder OP
Farkle Queen

Oddometer: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by katbeanz
My big gun on my xrl is older, 1999 vintage, the end caps are held in with bolts vs pop rivets. I had a guy heliarc on another canister mount further back to give it more support. With that much of the can unsupported you can see how much stress it's putting on that connection. The core does nothing structurally.
There are two (only one visible in the pics, sorry) mounts for the can to the subframe. There really wasn't any wiggle with the can. The only problem was the play in the mid pipe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katbeanz
I don't think your issue had anything to do with not getting it repacked. The performance gain from the header pipes makes it worth repairing the muffler to me.
Performance gains on a KLR? I guess when you've got maybe 32 hp on a really, really good day, every little bit counts

Any other suggestions for how to keep the mid pipe and can connection from rattling around? Would having the mid pipe spot welded to the can be a horrible idea? (pardon my ignorance)
Old 01-13-2009, 06:20 PM   #4
katbeanz
earthbound misfit, I

Oddometer: 7,281
Sorry, not familiar with KLR's. Mine has a strap bracket that bolted up near the foot peg, it broke the first week but was repaired.
katbeanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 06:28 PM   #5
ChrisC
Molon Labe

Oddometer: 6,306
Another craptastic Big Gun testimony...
ChrisC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 12:25 AM   #6
fixer
KLR-riding cheap bastard

Oddometer: 7,439
IF you want to keep it, cut 1/2" off the front end of the can and drill new holes, and cut another 1/2" off the perforated core pipe.

WAY cheaper than welding up the can.

some autoparrts stores will rent muffler pipe cutters. rolling cutter wheels on a chain with a vise-grip like handle ot tighten the cutters. IIRC, AutoZone rents it for $25, and you get that full amount back when you return the tool. if the rental tool won't reach around the can, use safety wire, coat hanger wire or zip ties to make it work.

that should be the easiest way to cut it shorter... and should work on the perforated core too.

i'm assuming you at least know someone with a decent drill, even if you don't own one yourself.

and pop rivet tools are common... if you don't have one, ask around or buy one.

i'd try repacking it with stainless steel potscrubbers instead of fiberglass. at some 99 stores they sell three packs that should slide right over the inner core.

you're looking at under $20 to repair this POS.
And don't be scared, just enjoy your ride.

"... in my version of Heaven you get all your dogs back." Mista Vern
"Old dogs don't die, they just wait for you in another place." Twilight Error

I'll show you a place, high on a desert plain, where the streets have no name.
fixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 11:14 PM   #7
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,102
My riding partner Cevquit has one of these LA bufadora (the blow hole in spanish) cans and that has not only happened once but twice so his was about 2 inches shorter when he finally got a new pipe.
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 07:59 AM   #8
DirtyDog
Lust for dust.

Oddometer: 7,243
Save your ears some permanent damage (as well as those of your riding buds) and look into a quieter pipe. I'm speaking from experience.