User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2003, 08:36 PM   #1
UncleDirty OP
BOFH

Oddometer: 25
California or Bust

My ride from Hephzibah, GA (Near Augusta) to Aliso Viejo, CA.

Monday, 10 November 2003.
Left the house at 06:30
Stopped for gas at the Circle K.
Went by the old job to tell a few people bye. Then it was on to adventure. Stopped at Rest Area #63 on I-20 west bound to get a cup of coffee. Stopped at the McDonald’s in Madison, GA and realized that I had left my wallet at the rest stop. Several hours and many phone calls later it was obvious that the wallet, money, id cards, credit cards and other info were all gone.
I went back home to start over again. Wasn't a complete loss. Figured out that the trailer cost me better than 10mpg and cut me to just over 100 miles per tank.
Attached Images

Old 11-30-2003, 08:40 PM   #2
UncleDirty OP
BOFH

Day 2

Tuesday, 11 November 2003.
Received the new check card from the bank in the mail. That was one thing done; couldn’t get a new driver license or military ID because those offices were closed for Veterans Day. Played with the grandkids.

The trailer is the 40"x48" from NorthernTools. Rode great. Though the first time the extra 400 pounds pushes you in a turn you tend to remember it.
Attached Images

Old 11-30-2003, 08:42 PM   #3
UncleDirty OP
BOFH

Day 3

Wednesday, 12 November 2003.
Got the new drivers license, my new ID card; had lunch with the grandkids and was on the road at 12:30 EST.
Drove to Cantonment, FL to stay with my brother and his wife. Arrived there about 19:30 CST, so it was an 8 hour drive with 446 miles for the day. Not too bad for starting at noon. Forgot to take pictures!
Took I20W to I85S to I65S to AL113 to US29S
Attached Images

Old 11-30-2003, 08:46 PM   #4
UncleDirty OP
BOFH

Day 4/5

Thursday, 13 November 2003.
Left at 06:30 CST
Drove to my son's apartment in Austin, TX. Arrived there at 20:00 CST 13-1/2 hours on the road for 686 miles. Was I tired. Took I10W to I12W to I10W to I610N to US290W to Austin.
Weather was sunny, but cool with lots of wind.
Remembered to take a picture at the Louisiana welcome center, but not Alabama, Mississippi or Texas. And Texas had this really neat huge steel star.
What is it about the south and bridges? At least none of them had steel grates. Had a couple of miles of one in Alabama next to Mobile bay with a nice 10-15 mph crosswind. Then a lovely straight up straight down one in Mississippi, same cross wind. Several in Louisiana; wanted to look at the Mississippi river when I crossed it, but the bridge goes straight up for a couple hundred feet (seems that way at least) and the breeze had increased to 15-20 mph with a couple of real nice gusts 3/4 up just to wake you up. AAAAaaaaaaaahhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hit the outskirts of Houston at the beginning of rush hour. That was lovely. Coming down 290 toward Austin in the dark it seems like an empty country; then you cross a ridge about 24 miles from Austin and its high enough to see the lights from the city and the ‘burbs spread out in front of you, poof! its all there. Awesome. They seem to cover the entire horizon and you get a much better idea of the size of the city.

Friday, 14 November 2003.
Chilled with my son and tried to fight the cold my grandkids gave me.
Attached Images

Old 11-30-2003, 08:50 PM   #5
UncleDirty OP
BOFH

Day 6

Saturday, 15 November 2003.
Got started at 0635. Left Austin dry, but it started raining within 25 miles. Rained off and on for the first 100, then dried out for the day. WET ROADS IN TEXAS SUCK! The 100 miles took 3 hours.
Bypassed a gas station at 90 miles, just knowing that there would be one at the I10/US 290 interchange. Oops. Coasted into a truckstop further down the road. Bought gas and a gas can. Figured I'd need them in the desert in Arizona anyway. Didn't, but did 2 more times in Texas.
Kept meeting up with 2 guys on Honda Valks during the day. Bruce and (I don’t remember his name). Finally took pictures in Van Horn, TX. After a couple of hundred miles.
Stopped in El Paso instead of Van Horn. Hundred or so miles further down the road than planned. Shot a picture of the sunset with my left hand while cruising about 70. Probably not the most intelligent thing I did this week.
593 miles for the day. 13 hours riding time. I’m beat.
Attached Images

Old 11-30-2003, 08:53 PM   #6
UncleDirty OP
BOFH

Day 7

Sunday, November 16, 2003.
Up at 05 on the road at 0615, checked into the hotel in Yuma at 1815, 539 miles.
Got some neat pictures of the sun coming up in New Mexico and road through a neat place called Texas Canyon. 42 when I started this morning, didn’t get above 65 until I started down I8 to Yuma, so it took me all day to warm up. Started the day around 3800 feet, climbed 500 feet out of Las Cruces and topped out at around 4600 feet in Arizona, dropping all the way back down to 300 feet here in Yuma…..interesting. Plenty of mountains and rocks; all beautiful. Later.
Attached Images

Old 11-30-2003, 08:56 PM   #7
UncleDirty OP
BOFH

Arrived!

Monday, November 17, 2003.
MADE IT! Staying in the Laguna Reef Inn tonight. Overlooking the Pacific Ocean at Laguna Beach. Lovely place.
Left Yuma at 0715 this morning, arrived in Aliso Viejo, CA at 1230. 260 mile day. Of course I went in to work at the new job :^)
GPS says the entire trip was 2517 miles in 40:23:56 with an average speed of 62.36mph and a maximum of 81.91. My speedo says the trip was 2524 miles. Must be off a little. I know that the GPS is off by about 200 feet on altitude most of the time.
Froze my butt off after climbing out of the desert this morning. Go from sea level to 4000 feet in about 10 miles. Then stay up there in the clouds for about 60 miles. Toes are just now warming up. California traffic will take some getting used to.
Attached Images

Old 11-30-2003, 10:08 PM   #8
fish
Banned

Oddometer: 47,709
Quite a ride, UncleDirty! Welcome to California
fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 08:29 PM   #9
UncleDirty OP
BOFH

Quote:
Said fish:
Quite a ride, UncleDirty! Welcome to California
Thanks. Want to do it again when I have a extra week or so to look at stuff.