Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2014, 09:16 AM   #1
locorider OP
Loco, pero no estúpido!

Oddometer: 2,471
Time has come to start rolling over all the planning we did back in 2008-2009. My compadre, Carlos (Rainmaster) and I (Carlos too) have been planning “the Trip” for our 50th birthday, which happened back in 2010. But I got caught on the CACG (Central America and Caribbean Games) planning and management and my compadre (from now on compa short word for compadre which means best man) got an assignment on another state… so busy schedules prevented us to start what took us almost 5 years of planning and budgeting.
My name is Carlos and I was born, raised and educated in Puerto Rico. My compa and I attended school and college together, until he moved to Floridalandia in the late 80’s. So, for both of us, English is our second language. Having that in mind, my apologies for any miswriting. On one of many visits, I planted the seed of planning a long trip to Panama and back. He was more down to earth and suggested to do a trip in North America first, and if we survive, then we might go beyond our borders. We decided to consider Alaska as our destination. So, we started looking for bike options as I owned a classic 1973 Honda CL350 K5 and he owned a couple of street bikes and a pair of Suzus 200 enduro bikes.

I fell for a 1989 Honda Transalp and compa got a sweet KLR650. Both are reliable bikes and there are plenty of well documented sites with tons of info on mods. My compa and I made lots of mods, exchanged ideas on equipment, camping stuff and routes.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...32#post9781832
[url=http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=40&u=13019616][img]http://i71.servimg.com/u/f71/13/01/96/16/transa10.jpg[/img][/url]
Now it looks like this:

So, winter came and the trip fell in the box of “not completed things”…

"If you don't follow your dreams, you might as well be a vegetable", Burt Munro, The World's Fastest Indian

locorider screwed with this post 08-17-2014 at 07:44 PM
locorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 09:19 AM   #2
locorider OP
Loco, pero no estúpido!

This was my bike before mods...

"If you don't follow your dreams, you might as well be a vegetable", Burt Munro, The World's Fastest Indian
Old 07-21-2014, 09:22 AM   #3
locorider OP
Loco, pero no estúpido!

This is Compa's KLR

Old 07-21-2014, 09:26 AM   #4
locorider OP
Loco, pero no estúpido!

Last year we talked about the trip, and basically agreed to start planning for summer of 2015 (55th birthday). But not much happened during the following months. And I needed to ship my bike to the states to do some prep and trial rides. That could amount to a little over $1,000.00 alone. Uh…
A month ago, while renewing my driver’s license a friend asked if I wanted to go with a group of Harley riders to Chicago. They rented a whole container to ship the bikes to Fl. And the cost would be basically half of what would have cost me alone! Yes!!!! This was the golden opportunity I was expecting.
First I called Compa and basically informed him of my intentions, and gave him no chance to back out! Well, I just gave him a couple days to see if he was ok. My intentions were to crash his agenda (sorry Compa), a couple of weeks in advance, ride my bike from Orlando, Fl to Helen, Ga. and spend 5 days at his place working on the bike (I’ll get to that later) and if there was time, do some trial run around the area. Well, a couple of days later I received an email with a 2-day riding packed schedule! Voilá there is the response I was expecting from my brother! Thanks Compa!
My bike stood still for two years, no riding, no registration renewal, my riding suit and helmet needed cleaning, flying tickets needed to be scheduled and paid, as well as hotels, packing, tools, rout planning and documents for the shipping needed to be provided. I had 2 weeks to sort things out, plus getting everything set at work!

Riding the bike before shipping…

Bike is ready…

Basic check was done on the bike, registration renewal done, short trips done (felt good!), national coverage insurance done, packing list, tools, flying tickets, etc…so, on the 23rd of May the bike was secured on the container, and 2 weeks later it safely arrived to Jacksonville and then to Orlando.
Bike being strapped…

locorider screwed with this post 08-12-2014 at 01:54 PM
Old 07-21-2014, 09:32 AM   #5
locorider OP
Loco, pero no estúpido!

There are some whoops...but when I try to edit, it wont allow me to do so. Dont know if it has to do with my machine (Windows 8.1)

Anyway, I'll try later from my laptop...

Old 07-21-2014, 12:22 PM   #6
Rainmaster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 398
Hey Compadre!

About time we get on with this going on with this trip.

Like Locorider with his Transalp/Africa Twin hybrid, I have also modded and farkled the KLR as best as I can for this trip. She is ready, willing and able and these days looks like this:

Now that Honda came out with the NC700X and the CB500X I have been toying with the idea of an upgrade but not sure about it and the KLR is ready an paid for....

It was a good day when Locorider called to me let me know that he was shipping the bike over. The call went something like this:

Me: Hello? Carlos: Compa is Carlos

Me: Hey, how you doing? Carlos: Fine BTW, I'll be there in two weeks with my bike. Just giving you a heads up. Guess we are doing the trip after all.... Me: LOL Bring it on!

Locorider knows me well. No looking back now. Really looking forward to some adventure rides with my Compadre!

Rainmaster screwed with this post 07-21-2014 at 12:35 PM
Rainmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 01:09 PM   #7
locorider OP
Loco, pero no estúpido!

...yea, more less!

There is more coming...

Old 07-22-2014, 12:12 PM   #8
locorider OP
Loco, pero no estúpido!

Sunday, June 8, 2014

There is this sense of insecurity, riding a strange-looking bike, with a PR plate on a not-so-familiar land! I’ve driven before in the states, but never this far and alone.

Got up early, went down for breakfast and checked out at 8:00am. Well, not as early, but I was on vacation and it was Sunday! There were late afternoon showers expected, so kept a weather eye just in case.

Today’s route:

Took US441 heading north, going through lots of commercial buildings and businesses along the way. Stopped on a boat ramp and rest area near Leesburg. Lake Eustis looked magnificent at this early morning hour. Families on houseboats and pontoon boats looking for their daily catch spending a wonderful time in tranquil waters. Took a few pics there, checked everything on the bike, specially the bungees holding my backpack.

Continued on US441 passing Belleview into beautiful Ocala. Great horse farms, neatly maintained lined the way. Here I stopped for a break and to eat one of my favorites…

Just before Gainesville, had to stop to enjoy the view at beautiful Paynes Prairie.

Riding into Gainesville, you notice its academic influence. Couldn’t resist entering the campus, so I ended up in front of this building.

Gainesville is a lovely city. After stopping at an ATM, continued north past Alachua and into High Springs.

It was noon and all of a sudden, there was this place, but on the other side of the road! So I turned back to check it out! Turns out to be a neat place, with great food!

A video while riding in the area…

After lunch, continued north to Lake City. Here I missed a turn and continued on 41 instead of 441.

Here in Jasper, filled up the tank, greased the chain and took a break …

But didn’t notice I was off route until too far, and I wasn’t carrying a real gps. So, after considering options, I manage to trace a route which will take me around Valdosta to Lakeland and then to Pearson. After basically an hour detour, made it to the planned route. I was thinking to call the day at Douglas, but then decided to push for another hour or two. There was a rain forecast for the day, with more on Monday. After a brief shower coming out of Douglas, kept it until Dublin. Right after passing over I-16 there was a commercial strip of hotels, dinning and gas stations, so I looked for a hotel and just went into bed for half an hour. Needed to hydrate, feeling a little dizzy.

Went to a known bbq restaurant and after having a couple of glasses of water asked for food and wine….eeeehhhhhh….what? No alcoholic beverages on Sundays?? Darn…well, water will do and probably the best for me now… “…and I’m feeling gooood!”

Today I made 362 miles. Highlights: Beautiful Ocala, Paynes Prairie, High Springs dinner and getting lost!

locorider screwed with this post 08-17-2014 at 08:11 PM
Old 07-22-2014, 01:10 PM   #9
locorider OP
Loco, pero no estúpido!

Monday, June 9, 2014
Woke up at 5:30am, but stayed in bed until 6:30am. Went to the lobby for breakfast just to find out it wasn’t as good as the one I got back in Orlando. There was a guy there with an unfriendly look, so, went back to the room to pack my stuff on the bike and continue my journey. Met a guy at the parking lot and it seems he talked to me in another language. Of all, he said he liked my ride, he was waiting for a mechanic to check his truck and that he used to ride a Vespa back in Kentucky.

Continued on my journey and took a perimeter route around Dublin.

Nice lonely road US441/29 at this early hour. I was getting comfortable with the bike and enjoying the scenery when all of a sudden the bike jolted…uh… but continued running and realized that I did not filled up the tank…uh. So, extended my arm to reach the ride side petcock and turned it 180 degrees and now I’m riding on reserve!!! Well actually half reserve, because I didn’t turn the left hand side petcock. Exited on G-57 to Irwinton to refuel.

Well, it turned out I was riding on fumes because after paying $10.00, had to go back for another $10.00 and it swallowed it completely.

Got back to US441/29 and continued north to Milledgeville. After turning left 0n US441/24 continued north to Lake Sinclair, with its huge tower.

Continued and stopped for a break at a gas station about 11 miles north of Eatonton. There I met a nice guy who noticed the PR license plate and asked about the bike, and how much did it cost to ship it.

It’s been a great day for riding so far…

Beautiful countryside…

Riding into Madison, which claims to have one of the largest historic district in the state. But this time, I have to skip and made a right on US441/29 to continued north toward Watkinsville and then to Athens.
Riding out of Athens, noticed what seems to be a police car, far behind me, making me wonder if I was a little over the speed limit. So I lowered the speed and decided to stop for a break at a gas station. Oh sh… the guy is following me. When I stopped it was a kid with his girlfriend on an “out of service” police car, unmarked but with all the goodies on. Decided to eat something at the Jarred fame fast food and there was the kid…
After Commerce I was supposed to make a left on Apple Pie Rd but missed it, and all of a sudden, I was riding into Cornelia. After consulting Maps, I rerouted via Level Grove Rd. looking for Duncan Bridge Rd. Got lost (no signs), but finally, after turning around, found G-384. I followed Mount Jonah’s and at 1:00pm I reached my destination at Sautee Nacoochee, Ga.
At my Compa’s place…

One of many goodies waiting for me…

Today, the ride was about 190 miles, great scenery and spectacular weather!

Next...maintenance, mods, Smoky Mountains...

locorider screwed with this post 08-18-2014 at 07:59 AM
Old 07-23-2014, 01:10 PM   #10
BOBaloo22
RIP Baby Girl

Oddometer: 3,781
Old 07-30-2014, 09:25 PM   #11
locorider OP
Loco, pero no estúpido!

I forgot to make this comment on my last post…
Later we went to a restaurant and enjoyed great food with my Carlos and Lourdes. Thanks Compa! Afterward we stopped by the storage to check all the things I had gather for our AK trip, boots, Pelican cases, tank bags, tires, more bags, sleeping bags and tents. Compa also had lots of camping equipment that we took with us for our 2 days ride.

Tuesday, June 10, 2014
I woke up early on a clear cool morning. Went out to Cleveland, Ga. to buy an oil filter and a gallon of Rotella syntetic oil. Started working fitting the Pelican cases to the Happy Trails racks. It’s a slow process that requires checking the fitment continuously, while watching over my shoulders for bears!!!! Also took out the seat and installed the straps for the tank bag.

Went out to a great pizza place, just like old times! M m m…I love pizza!

Wednesday, June 11, 2014

It rained during the night, so it was a cool morning to work on the bike. Continued with the Pelican cases fitting, shock adjustment, air filter cleaning, checked tire pressure, etc.

Carlos and Lourdes did a bbq and we had a great time together! Gathered all the gear needed for tomorrow and packed the bags, garment, tools, battery charger for the cell phones, etc.

Tomorrow’s ride…

Woke up at 5:30am, had breakfast and finished packing stuff on the bike.

And we are ready!

The day started with a drizzle, but we managed to take time to look at the amazing countryside around Helen and Clayton. We passed Dillard into NC. Continued to Franklyn, Dillsboro, Sylva and into Maggie Valley.

This day isn't over yet...to be continued

locorider screwed with this post 08-18-2014 at 08:22 AM
Old 08-06-2014, 08:27 AM   #12
Rainmaster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 398
Carlos (Locorider) Quote:
"Tuesday, June 10, 2014
I woke up early on a clear cool morning. Went out to Cleveland, Ga. to buy an oil filter and a gallon of Rotella syntetic oil. Started working fitting the Pelican cases to the Happy Trails racks. It’s a slow process that requires checking the fitment continuously, while watching over your shoulders for bears!!!! Also took out the seat and installed the straps for the tank bag."

I am not kidding about the bears. Due to some neighbors not being as careful with their trash storage the bears have figured out that Wednesdays is trash collection days.

What day was Loco working on his bike out in the porch? You guessed it. Wednesday....
Pretty sure that he was jumpy with every noise that squirrels and deer made out back.

Here is a pic of mama bear a while back at the same spot.

Rainmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 08:39 AM   #13
eddie bolted
BOING!!!

Oddometer: 3,547
LOCORIDER, Where in PR do you live?
I was down there working last March and am going back in October.
I stayed in SALINAS and was working in Guayama at the AES Power Generating Station.

It's mostly Dan........I knew he couldn't keep a secret(SCOTTY P)
eddie bolted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 09:50 AM   #14
Hair
Outside the boxer

Oddometer: 13,724
Great ride report, My god that Transalp looks new. Where do you find your bikes?
Old 08-06-2014, 10:06 AM   #15
07jkx
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Love this! My wife and I honeymooned in PR. Stayed in Condado and met some first time friends in Cauguas. We absolutely fell in love with PR. We go back every chance we get. Great RR!

If y'all ever come back through Georgia, I have a spare room or tent space and a garage for the bikes in Kennesaw, GA.
07jkx is offline   Reply With Quote