User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2003, 07:03 AM   #106
Jonderson
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Thumb Wes's pics

Wes, I hope you don't mind, but I so enjoyed looking at those pics that I decided to try hand coloring one (sort of a winter hobby). Here is a small version, as the attachment limit is small and I do not have image hosting abilities that will handle all the hits your pics are getting. Email me if you want the full size version, or if this attachment thingy doesn't work.
jonderson(AT)earthlink(DOT)net
Jonderson ('63Pan)
Jonderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 07:16 AM   #107
pfb
Riding, not skiing.

Oddometer: 5,471
Wow. Awesome pictures Wes & Warren!

I always think riding my R1100GS in the knarly stuff is a handful, but it's gotta be a virtual featherweight compared to those rides!
pfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 07:26 AM   #108
DirtDOG
Same Dog, New Tricks

Oddometer: 17,754
Quote:
Said CCCO:
I was getting $50 for a 48 hour week. My fully loaded 1950 74 cost $1335. Gas was $.26 per gallon. Many summer evenings after work we rode over old Loveland pass to the old town of Dillon to the Wildwood Inn to have a cup of coffee. The pass is over 11000 feet and very cool after dark.
Warren,
Would you have time to give us some words on the maintenence you guys had to perform on these bikes and what was the longest trip you ever took?
Randy
DirtDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 07:55 AM   #109
Ostrich
Jaded and Happy

Oddometer: 8,731
Quote:
Said CCCO:
This is"dad"..Took those photos with a $29 Kodak Bantam. 828 film which is 28mm x 40mm. Did my own processing and printing. Made some 20" x 24" prints that were very good. No longer have these prints. Warren Weber
Welcome to the asylum. Shouldn't you be insta moderator or something. Dang you put us all to shame with our heated grips, vests, cutsie cameras, and attire that we have these days.

Just because it's a zoo out there doesn't mean you have to view it from a cage!

Don't be an impulse buyer... afterall you have time..
Ostrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 08:01 AM   #110
Ostrich
Jaded and Happy

Oddometer: 8,731
Quote:
Said Chopperman:
My mom and family grew up in germany. Small town folks. My great grandfather was a blacksmith in a small village and my grandfather was a master mechanic. During WWII he didnt get drafted like most of the rest of the family because he was valuable at the homefront. Then very late in things, he was drafted into the luftwaffe and maintained planes. But not for very long. a few months after, the base was captured by canadians and he was in a POW camp a mere 10 miles from home. Before the war started, he had two BMWs. His main transport. When things started happening in the late30s, he sold one and dismantled the other, burying peices of it around the farm. See, they had been through these things before. While in the POW camp, he learned that the commander was a bike nut and had collected some 20 odd machines as the allies advanced. So gramps managed to become his fleet maintenance dude. THis helped him wrangle hall passes to go see his family down the road. After the war, he went home, dug up the bike and had transport so he could get working and rebuild thier cash and thier home. They rebuilt the home out of rubble. My mom and uncle digging up wheelbarrow loads of bricks. My grandad made his own mortar, plumbed and wired the house from scrap. My mom, skinny kid, rode that bike all over the place, running errands for my gramps. Once they had cash built up, canadian friends he had made while a POW helped him get his family moved to canada. Unfortunately they only brought a suitcase apeice. There were no photos of my gramps and the bike.

you are very lucky to have those pictures.
Cool story.

Just because it's a zoo out there doesn't mean you have to view it from a cage!

Don't be an impulse buyer... afterall you have time..
Ostrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 11:36 AM   #111
cyclepsycho
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
This thread has hit every motorcycle list I'm on in the last couple days (at least twice)! I've sent it to so many people that I figured I'd better join this one too.

As long as we're sharing the family jewels, here's a pic of my grandfather and grandmother, taken about 1940 up in Alberta, Canada:

The bike, as far as we have been able to determine, is a 1929 Henderson Deluxe. The sheetmetal fender skirts were added by my grandfather to keep Grandma's dress out of the spokes.
Here's my father, on the same farm, 23 years later in '63:

He's on the Harley Hummer that my grandfather built for him from pieces and parts.
Moving on, here's my first motorcycle

That was back in the 70's, when my dad gave me a Honda Trail 90. My first motorcycling experience was true adventure riding (for a 12 year old). Since I was too young to take it on the street, I spent years exploring the back roads and trails near Crescent Lake, Oregon. Now days, I spend most of my time on the paved roads. My main road bike is a 1996 Guzzi Cali 1100i, which gets a lot of use year round. I have other bikes too, the current inventory is on my web site.
This looks like a good list and I'd not heard of it until this thread was passed on to me from one of the other lists.
I'd really like to see guys take their Road Kings out and do some of the stuff these guys did in the "glory days".
Hell, I'd pay $5 to see it!
Old 12-04-2003, 12:59 PM   #112
Stinez
Rhymes with Heinz :D

Oddometer: 48,354
Awesome pictures! They are a true breath of fresh air and a reminder that our bikes are only limited by the skill of the pilot.
Thank you for that reminder.

The GOP puts the "Con" in Conservative.
Stinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 02:31 PM   #113
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,211
Quote:
Said cyclepsycho:
I'd really like to see guys take their Road Kings out and do some of the stuff these guys did in the "glory days".
Hell, I'd pay $5 to see it!
I used to take my ElectraGlide Sport out on a lot of back country dirt two track roads through the mountains around here and up in Montana. It gets done more than you imagine but you have to get back there yourself to see it. Keep your $5.

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?

FatChance screwed with this post 12-05-2003 at 11:28 AM
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 02:34 PM   #114
Team Dennis
Certified Troublemaker

Oddometer: 4,537
Quote:
Said FatChance:
I used to take my ElectraGlide Sport out on a lot of back country dirt two track roads through the mountains around here and up in Montana. It gets done more than you imagine but you have to get back there yourself to see it. Keep your $5.

I'd like to see some of the high price toy, Aerostich wearing, sissy Teutonic bike "riders" hanging out here try to tell these old boys that their Harleys are oil leaking hunks of crap that can't get out of their own way and they are all just lame posers who don't know how to ride "right".

Team Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 02:36 PM   #115
Jonderson
n00b

Pic

Ok, I think I have figgered out another solution. Hopefully the pic will show up here now. If it does I am not going to leave it up long, as I am sort of borrowing the bandwidth and I don't want to take too much advantage. (Maybe someone can grab it and host it someplace...?)

If that didn't work just c/p the URL into your browser to see the image.
Old 12-04-2003, 02:39 PM   #116
Jonderson
n00b

Pic

Yup...I guess you are gonna have to c/p it. Wish I knew what I was doing. :):
Old 12-04-2003, 02:44 PM   #117
Arch
Incurable Gearhead

Oddometer: 11,705
Gentlemen,
Please don't start brand specific flame-fest in a great thread like this.
Old 12-04-2003, 02:48 PM   #118
Chopperman
I am dead

Oddometer: 27,033
Quote:
Said FatChance:

I'd like to see some of the high price toy, Aerostich wearing, sissy Teutonic bike "riders" hanging out here try to tell these old boys that their Harleys are oil leaking hunks of crap that can't get out of their own way and they are all just lame posers who don't know how to ride "right".
Chill beavis. I didnt see any HPTAWSTBR saying the old boys in the pictures they were posers. But boy howdy there is piles of them around these days, that's for sure.
Old 12-04-2003, 03:03 PM   #119
GregTTR250
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Thanks

Hi
I just had to register and say thanks for sharing some great photos and stories !
All the best
Greg
www.somerset-trf.co.uk
GregTTR250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 03:27 PM   #120
Road Rash
Infamous

Oddometer: 18,555
Those are great pic's I sure wish I had some pic's of when my Dad set his old Indian on fire trying to start a camp fire on the banks of the Willamette River in the 40's or some pic's of Grampa riding Grandma from Portland to Seattle in the 20's (not sure what kind of bike but it took em 3 days). I never thought about it until now but I came from a family of early Adventure Riders. Thanks!

My Ride Through Roatan
Road Rash is offline   Reply With Quote