User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2014, 10:20 PM   #1
Scoobynut OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 491
Help me identify this mystery Hitachi generator

At least I think that's what it is. Or is it an armature ignition generator stator or something? The back story on this part is that the local Marina bought out the old Yamaha dealer when it went out of business, then later sold almost all the vintage inventory to an individual, but still had a box of old parts that were missed during the sale. He knew I was into old Yamaha 2-strokers, so called me and asked me if I wanted the box of parts. He let me have the box for 20 bucks. Anyways, at the bottom of the box were two of these things:

Some of the parts in the box go all the way back to the mid-60s, so I have no idea how old these Hitachi pieces are. There are a few snowmobile parts in the box too so I suppose that's a possibility too. I did a google search using both sets of parts numbers on the box, but nada, nothing.

Anyone out there have a clue to how to match these up the with machine(s) they belong to? I sell a few parts from time to time on ebay, but don't like not being able to give a good description of what I'm selling for obvious reasons.

If someone can positively identify this, I just might let them have as a prize a part from the parts box these came in if it's something they need for their old Yamaha, keeping in mind there aren't a ton of parts in the box and I may not have what they're looking for. But then again, my friend needed shift forks for his 1970 Yamaha XS-1, and I'll be damned if the exact ones he needed weren't in the box, so you never know.

Let the contest begin!

UPDATE: I did a little searching on ebay under the search term 'Yamaha Armature' and saw a few similar ones, and a few NOS ones still with the Hitachi box, but none with the same numbers. Also the 'D' on the other ones wasn't backwards like on the numbers on my box -- I wonder why the D is backwards? I noticed the ones in the Hitachi boxes had a Yamaha parts label with a regular Yamaha part number on them, but, alas, mine seems to be missing the Yamaha part number label, and there doesn't seem to be any way I'm yet aware of to line up the Hitachi number with a corresponding Yamaha number. The mystery deepens...
2008 Yamaha WR250R
1988 Honda Hawk GT

Scoobynut screwed with this post 12-12-2014 at 11:09 PM
Scoobynut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 08:01 AM   #2
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 5,356
Well, I'm pretty sure it fits a bike with the combination generator/starter. Examples would be:AT1 (125 enduro), 180/200 twin (YL2CS?)
Old 12-14-2014, 08:24 AM   #3
stainlesscycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by concours View Post
Well, I'm pretty sure it fits a bike with the combination generator/starter. Examples would be:AT1 (125 enduro), 180/200 twin (YL2CS?)
sure looks like the at1 gen./starter..
07 gasgas xc300-94 duc 900ss-86 morini camel (2)-84 IT200-83 IT175-78 guzzi lm1-77 pursang 250-76 morini 3 1/2 strada-76 frankentaco pursang 200-74 frankentaco pursang 200-74 morini 3 1/2 sport-74 mz ts250/0-74 puch 175 (3)-73 can-am 175tnt-71 guzzi frankeneldo-71 ossa Stiletto-70 frankentaco sherpa s(2)-66 morini corsarino(2)-63 morini corsaro + many more
stainlesscycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 09:46 PM   #4
Scoobynut OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for those two replies, guys, if it turns out to be an AT-1 or a 180/200 twin (I think the 180 was called YCS1), I'll send both of you guys a mystery part from the goody box.
2008 Yamaha WR250R
1988 Honda Hawk GT
Old 12-14-2014, 10:07 PM   #5
4xdog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Ah, an armature with commutator is a thing of beauty, isn't it? Reminds me of the Lucas armature from my TR3 I had apart the other week. No wonder alternstors have won out, if for manufacturing simplification if nothing else.

My guess is the backwards "D" is a typesetting mistske by the guy who put the rubber stamp characters in the holder. In that day and age, quite likely someone who didn't know English and might not have been familar with the Western alphabets. You should see how bad my kanji are...
4xdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 10:11 AM   #6
Scoobynut OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xdog View Post
Ah, an armature with commutator is a thing of beauty, isn't it? Reminds me of the Lucas armature from my TR3 I had apart the other week. No wonder alternstors have won out, if for manufacturing simplification if nothing else.

My guess is the backwards "D" is a typesetting mistske by the guy who put the rubber stamp characters in the holder. In that day and age, quite likely someone who didn't know English and might not have been familar with the Western alphabets. You should see how bad my kanji are...
Excuse my ignorance 4xdog, I'll have to take your word for it that it's a thing of beauty. I do gather from what you said that it pretty much confirms this is an old style part from the 60s or 70s.

Oh, and sorry to hear about your bad Kanji. Perhaps you can bring them to a professional and have them trained?
2008 Yamaha WR250R
1988 Honda Hawk GT