ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2008, 12:47 PM   #436
CA Stu
Thanks

Oddometer: 46,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by espi
I am about to take off to my bros Cabin in arrowhead.
Is 15,158 out the door a fair price from 3 bros. in Costa Mesa???
Jesse King is the sales dude over there.
no luggage. 990 adventure.
Next week i will have one.

see ya up in the pines,

Pablo
You may want to check with Malcolm Smith's in Riverside.
I know they want to sell bikes, they had 2 990s on the floor last Saturday.

951-687-1300

No affiliation with them other than a long time customer.
Just had my 950 serviced there.
Professional and prompt.
I was pleased.

Thanks
CA Stu
Old 05-16-2008, 03:34 PM   #437
monkeytrick
good ride good times

Oddometer: 114
if you see an orange 950 surrounded by a pack of 450's and 525's, somewhere between silverwood and big bear, that would be me.

RIDE REPORTS:
Santa Barbara/PCH
Warped 2008
BigBear to YuccaValley
Johnson Valley Memorial Day 2008
monkeytrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 05:24 PM   #438
Ben99r1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,964
Have fun guys. Damn! I have to buy me a ds bike I am missing so many good rides this year. But I said I will have get any new debt this year. So I will just keep looking for a good used deal. Have you lucky bastards Ben
Ben99r1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 06:01 PM   #439
CA Stu
Thanks

Oddometer: 46,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeytrick
if you see an orange 950 surrounded by a pack of 450's and 525's, somewhere between silverwood and big bear, that would be me.

I'm riding up there Sunday.
We'll be 2 Husky 610's, a 950, and a KLR with a white translucent tank.
Going up and over from Green Valley Lake through Fawnskin then over to Pioneertown.

My friend's KLR is down for repairs, I'm loaning him mine for the ride.

Thanks
CA Stu
Old 05-16-2008, 09:50 PM   #440
monkeytrick
good ride good times

Oddometer: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Stu
Going up and over from Green Valley Lake through Fawnskin then over to Pioneertown.

Thanks
CA Stu
Sunday i'll be on a plane to Orlando, but as i fly over big bear, i'll snap some pics of the inmate infestation swarming the area. i'm imagining something like this, but with a sprinkling of orange dots and dust clouds....

RIDE REPORTS:
Santa Barbara/PCH
Warped 2008
BigBear to YuccaValley
Johnson Valley Memorial Day 2008
monkeytrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 11:44 PM   #441
RAZR
yup ima hairstylist

Oddometer: 8,520
Quote:

Thanks
CA Stu
yo, i'll be rolling into Big Bear on sunday early.
RAZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 09:49 AM   #442
long2ride
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
quick update

Met K60ST at TRC for the ride up. Notices the rear tire on the strom was a bit too smooth (read racing slick) for the planned route so I set off on my own for the hill. rode up Fri. AM via Cleghorn-Silverwood-Crestline-Arrowhead. Great weather, Great camp sight.

At about 1:00 Focallength limped back to camp with a broken bike and bleeding leg. Somehow he managed to ride back to camp alone after a get off with the bike stuck in 3rd gear. Shifter moves correctly but won't shift bike.

Cleaned up his leg and tore the bike apart but no joy on a fix.

K60ST arrived a few hours later with a low oil pressure light flashing and no visible oil in the sight glass. Plenty of oil on the bottom side of the bike and rear tire. We also noticed a funny pattern on the rear rotor, upon close inspection a pad was missing. So, back down the hill for parts and supplies.

Bikes kept arriving and the camp is filling up.

Took a quick jaunt with Orangeheart and new guy on a KLR650. Up to Holcum Valley then over to Hwy 18. Orangeheart stayed wheels down the whole way and looked competent on the new ride.

Then it was in to town for Denny's and back to camp for campfire lies about the days exploits.

Had to cut the trip short so it was back in the saddle at 10PM and home to OC by 12:30.

Have a great weekend up there.

07 DL1000 VSTROM
00 DR 350
97 DR 350
long2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 10:42 PM   #443
riceless950
Let's Ride!

Oddometer: 3,228
Day ride

I rode up Saturday via Pioneertown/Burns Canyon. It was a good ride. Took about an hour to get from Yucca Valley to the campground. Mingled for about half an hour, then it was TIME to RIDE.

Holcolmb Creek

Carnage

Epoxy repair on a radiator.

Worked well enough to get back to camp.

Now. Time to catch back up with the group.

It would have been easier to catch up if I'd stop taking pictures of flowers.

And Vistas

Some kind of KTM ORANGE parasite plant

Found um

Pretty

I parted ways with the group at the creek and headed back to the Lake and then home. But not without trying my luck on 3N69 first. I had been up the north side before and found it to be enjoyably entertaining. I'd never done the whole trail from the lake side before, and I probably never will again.

From, Challenging

To, "I need a trials bike!"

Passed several jeeps. I'm sure they thought I was on the wrong trail. This guy was cool. Said he had a new 530 KTM but he wanted my bike. I should have traded him for his Rubicon!

Passed these dudes. One of em was seriously busted!

100 yard section of pure nasty

The jeeper dudes told me it got worse after this part and they weren't lying. I didn't take any photos of the bad stuff cause I had switched from tourist mode to survival mode.

When I came out on the other side on the 18, the tar felt so nice & smooth I just stayed on it till I got home via 247. Thanks to everyone who helped make this ride happen. I had a blast, and it was cool to meet some new (to me) inmates.
If anybody goes to 3N69, take a camera!

riceless950 screwed with this post 05-18-2008 at 06:06 AM
riceless950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 12:11 AM   #444
WzlTech
The fool on the hill

Oddometer: 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by riceless950
Passed these dudes. One of em was seriously busted!
Hey Brent,
So do you get to add 4-wheelers to your "Riceless Victims" page?

Quote:
If anybody goes to 3N69, take a camera!
Damn that's tempting, I may just have to talk the Punk into going up there soon. That won't take much effort I'm sure. I think I need a new San Berdoo Forest map, mine doesn't even show that road/trail.

By the way, which route was the radiator carnage on, under the powerlines? Still have more routes up there I haven't gotten to yet it seems. Of course, if they aren't on my old map......yep, I need a new one.

Oh, and maybe you already know, but the KTM colored parasite plant is called "dodder". Lots of info on the web if you seek greater (or obscure?) knowledge.

Nice picts and report
WzlTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 07:51 AM   #445
riceless950
Let's Ride!

Oddometer: 3,228
Quote:
Hey Brent,
So do you get to add 4-wheelers to your "Riceless Victims" page?
That's a great question Don and I know a lot of other people are wondering the same thing. I just finished a conference call with the Rules committee and they referred me to page 172 section b.IV.i.8 of the UCMJ (uniform code of motorbike justice) which clearly states, "Victim entries of non-motorbike type vehicles are allowed as long as "The Mishap" is a direct result of being led into the situation by the originator of the reporting thread." So to answer your question in the case of these hapless fourwheeled adventurers...No.
As shown in this next exhibit , the jeeper dudes were already on scene as I made my approach to the scree field.

This next photo, also taken on yesterday's ride, is inadmissable for the above stated reason and also because I came upon the incident about 5 seconds too late.

As for the location of 3N69, it starts off the 18 at Baldwin Lake and goes north over to 3N16. If you & Punk do go try it, don't bother taking a camera.
I'll bring one but I'll be riding this.

riceless950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 01:54 PM   #446
luv2race
Confused

Oddometer: 2,308
HOLY CRAP what a ride! I had a great time as usual, rode our A$$e$ off, ate too much AGAIN, drank too much AGAIN! Can't wait for the pics to start flowin in. Thanks for organizing this Steve , thanks Mike for the ride and lunch suggestion Friday. Great job Shleppy for leading Saturday. Thanks to everyone else for letting me drink their beer .
Till next time.......Cheers

luv2race screwed with this post 05-18-2008 at 09:42 PM
luv2race is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 03:33 PM   #447
doubleoh7
AKA Chief FallsAlot

Oddometer: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by long2ride
Met K60ST at TRC for the ride up. Notices the rear tire on the strom was a bit too smooth (read racing slick) for the planned route so I set off on my own for the hill. rode up Fri. AM via Cleghorn-Silverwood-Crestline-Arrowhead. Great weather, Great camp sight.

At about 1:00 Focallength limped back to camp with a broken bike and bleeding leg. Somehow he managed to ride back to camp alone after a get off with the bike stuck in 3rd gear. Shifter moves correctly but won't shift bike.

Cleaned up his leg and tore the bike apart but no joy on a fix.

K60ST arrived a few hours later with a low oil pressure light flashing and no visible oil in the sight glass. Plenty of oil on the bottom side of the bike and rear tire. We also noticed a funny pattern on the rear rotor, upon close inspection a pad was missing. So, back down the hill for parts and supplies.

Bikes kept arriving and the camp is filling up.

Took a quick jaunt with Orangeheart and new guy on a KLR650. Up to Holcum Valley then over to Hwy 18. Orangeheart stayed wheels down the whole way and looked competent on the new ride.

Then it was in to town for Denny's and back to camp for campfire lies about the days exploits.

Had to cut the trip short so it was back in the saddle at 10PM and home to OC by 12:30.

Have a great weekend up there.
A top notch report by a top notch guy !!! Thanks man, see you again on the dirt
doubleoh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 03:38 PM   #448
shleppy
Shlepdawg on da smoov tip

Oddometer: 605
Thanks for such a fun weekend gang! As always.. good times, good rides and of course.. good people .

I took quite a few pics and have lots of helmet cam video from the Friday and Saturday ride. I'll started a ride report here (LINKOLA).. or you can check out the link below.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=343057

Just pics right now.... it's gonna take a bit of time to rip the video into small bite size chunks for posting.

Thumbs up again for Steve and John for gettin' this shindig and the grub lined up

2006 F650GS (sold)
2007 DRZ 400s
2009 F650GS

shleppy screwed with this post 05-18-2008 at 06:49 PM
shleppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 05:44 PM   #449
bionicbushwacker
08 klr

Oddometer: 23
Well I rode up Sat. am and arrived at 8:30. It was my first ride with the new 08 klr. Truth be told my first day ever riding in the dirt. Rode out with first group which left about 9am. WOW. Not what I expected. I went slow when I should have gone fast and went fast when I should have gone slow. A sandy area, a large rock in the wrong spot, and sharp turn got the best of me. But with lots of help and babysitting from the guys (thanks orangeheart) I made it. The new bike now has some cool battle scars and I got some good stories and pics.
Full throttle ahead.
See ya latter.
Old 05-18-2008, 05:45 PM   #450
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,713
Steve, great job for organizing this event which is a success! Let's do it again. Thank you for all your hardwork and valuable presence!

Luv2Race, we appreciate your effort in getting Mike to serve the excellent taco dinner. That was a lot of food! Thank you for the free breakfast on Saturday morning.

Sito, again thanks for all your contributions and keeping the camp fire alive with plenty of firewood. BTW, when are you going to get your business license to do road side repair and free towing?

And not to be forgotten, thanks to Rich for the little Sunday adventure, and the rest of the FFs for showing up and sharing the fun and b.s.

Joel

Quote:
CA Stu
There were 3 or 4 guys we saw coming up on Cleghorn this morning, the lead guy was fast and on a 950. Could it be you Stu?

We were parked in the shade, a 640A and DR650. Rich and I eventually got lost looking for Cleghorn and ended up doing a 30 mile ride on some of the nastiest trails, we ended up on Palm Ave off the 215. This ride made our weekend complete and the ride home long and hot!

I dropped the bike once; lesson learned, do not stop unless you can touch the ground with either foot!
NSFW is online now   Reply With Quote