ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2008, 05:48 PM   #451
doubleoh7
AKA Chief FallsAlot

Oddometer: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by bionicbushwacker
Well I rode up Sat. am and arrived at 8:30. It was my first ride with the new 08 klr. Truth be told my first day ever riding in the dirt. Rode out with first group which left about 9am. WOW. Not what I expected. I went slow when I should have gone fast and went fast when I should have gone slow. A sandy area, a large rock in the wrong spot, and sharp turn got the best of me. But with lots of help and babysitting from the guys (thanks orangeheart) I made it. The new bike now has some cool battle scars and I got some good stories and pics.
Full throttle ahead.
See ya latter.
i was in the same spot, being baby sat and receiving a lot of help myself last year, so it was high time i returned the favor and paid it forward. i did get your bag, so pm me when you want to connect.
doubleoh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 05:58 PM   #452
K6OST OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by h8chains
Rich and I eventually got lost looking for Cleghorn and ended up doing a 30 mile ride on some of the nastiest trails, we ended up on Palm Ave off the 215. This ride made our weekend complete and the ride home long and hot!
Glad everyone had a good time. I'm still too wiped out to give a full report. That trail you got lost on that ended up on Palm, that's the trail we took up (on the V-strom) Friday morning.

It was nice to get to meet everyone, a great group of guys every one of you.

There was a few that mentioned maybe doing it again in the fall (Octoberish) I'll have to see what kind of feedback I get on that but it's a definate possibility.

Thanks John for setting up the food, you were right Mike feed us well. And there's nothing like coming back from a long day of riding to find dinner sitting there waiting for you!!

Again, when I fully recover I'll give a full report. The photographer gave me a separate cd with smaller versions of all the pictures. I'll post them up. I think there's like 225 of them or so, so if anyone still wants to get the 8x10's and DVD I have his contact info. Great DVD by the way!

Steve K6OST
www.dirtytires.com/forums
motorcycle,quad,4x4,mtb forums
'07 V-Strom 650 ABS
K6OST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 05:59 PM   #453
2old2race
I wana ride

Oddometer: 1,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by h8chains
I dropped the bike once; lesson learned, do not stop unless you can touch the ground with either foot!
Amen!!!

Bob
'08 KLR650
'07 Tiger 1050 - Gone
'98 XR440 - Getting a frame up rebuild
'89 XR250 - Needs a Lic Plate
2old2race is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 06:14 PM   #454
2old2race
I wana ride

Oddometer: 1,114
Thanks Steve for orginizing a great outing (nice to know we're neighbors), thanks John for orginizing dinner and the great dinner you served Friday night and the great breakfast on Saturday morning. Thanks Jeff and Mike for orginizing the Friday and Saturday rides. I want to give a speacial thanks to Mike for enduring almost a hundred miles of dust riding sweep making sure that everyone returned in time for dinner safe, GOOD JOB MIKE!!

Quote:
Well I rode up Sat. am and arrived at 8:30. It was my first ride with the new 08 klr. Truth be told my first day ever riding in the dirt. Rode out with first group which left about 9am. WOW. Not what I expected. I went slow when I should have gone fast and went fast when I should have gone slow. A sandy area, a large rock in the wrong spot, and sharp turn got the best of me. But with lots of help and babysitting from the guys (thanks orangeheart) I made it. The new bike now has some cool battle scars and I got some good stories and pics.
Full throttle ahead.
See ya latter.
You picked a tough one for your VERY FIRST off road M/C experiance. Ride all the way from Long Beach, do almost 100 miles off road (some tough shit too) and then ride all the way back to Long Beach in the same day, my hats off to you bionicbushwaker!!

Bob
'08 KLR650
'07 Tiger 1050 - Gone
'98 XR440 - Getting a frame up rebuild
'89 XR250 - Needs a Lic Plate
2old2race is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 06:53 PM   #455
Norsman
...a GSophile

Oddometer: 2,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by long2ride
Met K60ST at TRC for the ride up. Notices the rear tire on the strom was a bit too smooth (read racing slick) ...
I saw K60st's tire... wow! That thing looks like it is going to wear in two at any second. How do you do it?

Norsman screwed with this post 05-19-2008 at 09:02 AM
Norsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 06:56 PM   #456
shleppy
Shlepdawg on da smoov tip

Oddometer: 607
Quote:
Well I rode up Sat. am and arrived at 8:30. It was my first ride with the new 08 klr. Truth be told my first day ever riding in the dirt.

BionicBushWacker.... For the first day in the dirt you kicked arse! The day was long and and hot for everyone but you added a ride to and from Long Beach as well ... Impressive by any standards

Here's a shot of you and your new KLR heading towards Cactus flats

and riding 1N04 in the sweltering heat

2006 F650GS (sold)
2007 DRZ 400s
2009 F650GS

shleppy screwed with this post 05-18-2008 at 09:07 PM
shleppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 07:05 PM   #457
K6OST OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norsman
I saw K60st's tire... wow! That thing looks like it is going to wear intwo at any second. How do you do it?
That was long2ride's tire that was worn down. Mine's only 2 weeks old. When you came into camp, mine was the bike with the oil-slick trailing behind. Glad I was able to fix that. Too bad I wasnt' there when you guys stopped by

Steve K6OST
www.dirtytires.com/forums
motorcycle,quad,4x4,mtb forums
'07 V-Strom 650 ABS
K6OST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 09:01 PM   #458
mole
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Hey Folks!
Awesome event...Not knowing one single soul, I rode out with "group 2" Saturday and just had a blast! We had a few problems but overall it was lots of fun. Being the smallest displacment bike in our group (250cc) one thing I learned is to respect the ability of the big KTM 900s and the V-strom. Sito and Moraflex just fly on those beasts off road and K60ST with that "street meat" did not miss a beat!
To the rest of the folks in our group thanks for a great ride, I jus have one hell of a time with names but...here we go! Broken cable (jinx) DR350 guy, Dakar guy (bum knee), DR650 guy Josh?, Street V-strom noob! ...I hope the name was Leonard on the suziki that paced us! and Im sure I missed somebody, but I am ready to do it again

Just old and slow! But not dead yet!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 09:24 PM   #459
doubleoh7
AKA Chief FallsAlot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole
Hey Folks!
Awesome event...Not knowing one single soul, I rode out with "group 2" Saturday and just had a blast! We had a few problems but overall it was lots of fun. Being the smallest displacment bike in our group (250cc) one thing I learned is to respect the ability of the big KTM 900s and the V-strom. Sito and Moraflex just fly on those beasts off road and K60ST with that "street meat" did not miss a beat!
To the rest of the folks in our group thanks for a great ride, I jus have one hell of a time with names but...here we go! Broken cable (jinx) DR350 guy, Dakar guy (bum knee), DR650 guy Josh?, Street V-strom noob! ...I hope the name was Leonard on the suziki that paced us! and Im sure I missed somebody, but I am ready to do it again

thanks for the margaritas
Old 05-18-2008, 09:26 PM   #460
doubleoh7
AKA Chief FallsAlot

anxiously awaiting the link to shleppy's ride report
Old 05-19-2008, 12:30 AM   #461
Doghouse_Riley
Wannabe Adventure Tourer

Oddometer: 2,019
Great party! Mrs Riley and Mo Riley had a blast. We want to thank Steve for putting this together and being an awesome sweeper on the Saturday ride. John for hooking us up with Mike for the killer tacos. And Scott and Melody for being awesome campmates.

Can't wait for next year.

Canis meus id comedit.
Doghouse_Riley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 06:04 AM   #462
shleppy
Shlepdawg on da smoov tip

Oddometer: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeheart
anxiously awaiting the link to shleppy's ride report
Ride report is under way boys and girls... here's the link..

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=343057

I have quite a bit of video footage to add to the report, but it will take me a day or so to rip the video from my camcorder and post it up.

BTW.. if anyone knows how to imbed video in a post.. lemme know

2006 F650GS (sold)
2007 DRZ 400s
2009 F650GS
shleppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 08:23 AM   #463
Jblk9695
AKA-Crazy Old Man

Oddometer: 244
Thumb Lots of Fun

Thanks to Steve and John for arranging this, and next time I'll follow along with Steve and not go out on my own, although I had fun. Enjoyed meeting everyone, great bunch of people.
Here's a link to some photos--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/5900963...7605134356835/

Look forward to next time, now if I can just find some new turn signals and a clutch lever

Jerry
Old 05-19-2008, 08:51 AM   #464
MrMike
No self control

Oddometer: 786
Thanks!

I'd just like to add my thanks to everyone who helped make this a great event. I had a really good time on both Friday and Saturday rides. I must commend the newer riders. They all did a great job so it made it really easy to keep things moving. I got to just putt along and smell the plants and then just fly along at top speed where all I saw was the trail in front of me. It's just a lot of fun when you know that people are there if you do something dumb, which I've been know to do . Again thanks guys.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:59 AM   #465
Moraflex
Banned

Oddometer: 1,342
Here I sit at my desk, beat to all hell, 400 miles on the steed and I'm grinning ear to ear

It was great fun every one, thank you all for your hospitality. This was my first group ride with you guys and I had a blast. Thank you Steve for setting this whole thing up. Thank you Sito for the use of your cooler. Thank you John for the taco fest. Nothing was better than hopping off the bike, into the shower, then stuffing a few of the best tacos made by man into my belly, with a cold XX and 1 of Mole's fab Margaritas ( Mole PM me with the recipe for the Margs please).

I'll have my pictures/ride report up later today or tomorrow.
Moraflex is offline   Reply With Quote