Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2008, 03:53 PM   #1
BobCWNC OP
Orange lithotripter

Oddometer: 13,041
LC4 rear wheel bearings

Yo y'all,

Whilst changing the rear tire on my 04 SMC, I went to balance it and noticed my rear wheel bearings were stiff and kind of crunchy. So off to search for parts I went. I found this thread:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=16

Quote:
Originally Posted by gefr
Part #0625062052 6205 - 2RSHC3HMTF7 has been replaced with #0625060060 6006 DDU2CG23S6NM as mode durable.
I can't confirm this anywhere else online. Does anyone have any idea if this is correct? The 2052 is the OEM bearing and the 0060 is about half the price. So if it is an upgrade as well, that would seem to be a heckuva deal.

Thanks,

Bob

"It is a great art to saunter". Thoreau

“Life’s most persistent and urgent question is– what are you doing for others?” –Martin Luther King, Jr.

Alan Greenspan said out loud, “I have found a flaw.” Waxman pushed him, responding, “In other words, you found that your view of the world, your ideology, was not right; it was not working.” “Absolutely, precisely,” Greenspan said
BobCWNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 09:49 PM   #2
BobCWNC OP
Orange lithotripter

Also, I couldn't find a WB R&R thread, do you just hammer a drift onto the long inner spacer tube to knock the bearing and spacer/bushing out?

IOW:
http://www.ktm-parts.com/pdf/KTM2004/2004_625SXC.pdf
Page 26 (manual page 29) hit the drift on part 3 which goes through 6 and 4 and touches part 7?
Thanks

“Life’s most persistent and urgent question is– what are you doing for others?” –Martin Luther King, Jr.

Alan Greenspan said out loud, “I have found a flaw.” Waxman pushed him, responding, “In other words, you found that your view of the world, your ideology, was not right; it was not working.” “Absolutely, precisely,” Greenspan said
Old 01-01-2008, 11:31 PM   #3
Dotbond
Africa, Africa

Oddometer: 721
Yep, your on the right track.
You will find that the bushings, part #7 pull out by hand when you take the wheel off.
There is no gentle way to get the bearings out.

2008 N.Z.Yamaha Safari: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=306905
2007 N.Z.Adventures Safari: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=201557
Dotbond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 11:48 PM   #4
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Oddometer: 4,580
Propane torch heat can really help the removal-installation process.

Better check the sprocket carrier bearing for wear as well.
b.

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley
bmwktmbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 06:44 AM   #5
nfranco
over macho grande?

Oddometer: 731
Loaded has cheap balls!

bearings that is. Check out:http://stenhouseracing.com/shop/inde...414f3081c58fd5
nfranco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 08:33 AM   #6
gaspipe
Wandering Soul

Oddometer: 11,329
The 6205 and 6006 bearings are different dimensions and are not interchangeable.

Hair of the dog....
gaspipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 12:17 PM   #7
BobCWNC OP
Orange lithotripter

Ok, I did some better investigating, Bmwktmbill was correct. The crunchy bearing is in the cush hub/sprocket carrier, not the hub, those 2 are OK. As it turns out, the bearing itself (#28) seems to be fine, the crunchiness is in the seal covering (#29) between the bearing and the axle bushing (#26). THere is a lot of dirt between them and it was hampering the free spinning of the bearing.

I had the wrong fiche pulled up above, this is the correct one and is below also.

http://65.57.254.60/munnracing/showd...mber_id=103489

The axle bushing will not come out easily, I haven't tried heat yet. The seal covering will need to be replaced since I've screwed it up, now. The Bearing is apparently a double ball bearing and it's 79.00 bucks . I may have found a cheaper solution though, via crazybrit here.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ght=0625032057.

I fear that I will hurt the bearing by heat and pounding when I try and get the axle bushing out. I don't like the seal setup since it seems to allow crap to get in between it and the bearing. Any ideas, or am I on the right track?

Old 01-03-2008, 11:59 AM   #8
BobCWNC OP
Orange lithotripter

So, will heating and beating on the bearing hurt it? (assuming I take a modicum of care)

Old 01-03-2008, 01:23 PM   #9
KayaKTM
Day trippin'

Oddometer: 405
i assume you are talking for installation as harming the old bearings isn't usually a concern if you are tossing them in the round file (trash).

my vote would be heat the hub (not so hot you can't handle it) and freeze (the colder the better) the bearings for installation. they don't quite drop in but it helps.

good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobCWNC
So, will heating and beating on the bearing hurt it? (assuming I take a modicum of care)

Religions change; beer and wine remain. Harvey Allen
KayaKTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 01:30 PM   #10
BobCWNC OP
Orange lithotripter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayaKTM
i assume you are talking for installation as harming the old bearings isn't usually a concern if you are tossing them in the round file (trash).

my vote would be heat the hub (not so hot you can't handle it) and freeze (the colder the better) the bearings for installation. they don't quite drop in but it helps.

good luck!
What I'd like to do is get the bushing out of the bearing so I can replace the dust seal (#29), since I hammered it flat. The whole bearing assy came out of the hub pretty easy and the bushing loosened up and I was able to figure out that it was the seal rubbing, not the bearing itself.

So my goal is to keep the old bearing if heat and pounding won't destroy it, put a new seal in between it and the bushing and reseat the old bearing.

Thanks

edit: waynesville eh? Howdy neighbor

Old 01-03-2008, 01:41 PM   #11
75dixie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
I would suggest replacing a bearing any time you have it out. It may be undamaged but have a small amount of wear that cannot yet be detected. No bigger bummer than having to tear it apart to replace the bearing 6 months down the road.

I recently did my honda weel bearings and learned a expensive lesson. I have done my fair share on atv,cars etc but no bikes. I used heat and puch method to remove them and did not pay close enough attention. The bearing went slightly off center and cracked the hub. Well $450 dollars later it's fixed but it hurt...real bad.
75dixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 03:01 PM   #12
potatoho
Cheese and Rice!

Oddometer: 4,681
Ooh, came in this thread to warn you about that seal dust cover. It's very fragile

You can get a new sprocket carrier bearing ($42) from:
http://stenhouseracing.com/shop/inde...7400bbbb31562c
potatoho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 03:23 PM   #13
BobCWNC OP
Orange lithotripter

Quote:
Originally Posted by potatoho
Ooh, came in this thread to warn you about that seal dust cover. It's very fragile
I found that out.

Quote:
You can get a new sprocket carrier bearing ($42) from:
http://stenhouseracing.com/shop/inde...7400bbbb31562c
Cool.

Old 01-03-2008, 03:50 PM   #14
potatoho
Cheese and Rice!

Oddometer: 4,681
That 3205 AV seal washer can probably be found in a shop. I gave up and ordered an OEM. The bearing I have from stenhouse is a INA 3205 2RS.
potatoho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 06:31 PM   #15
FAST JACK
Hardcore Dirt bIKER

Oddometer: 119
Use a long skinny punch with a good flat end and knock them out from the inside, clean them up really good and put some kinda grease or "Never Seize" on them so they won't get stuck as quickly or as easily.
FAST JACK is offline   Reply With Quote