Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2012, 10:27 PM   #1
Clydedog OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Talk me into it or talk me out of it....

....I ran across a 2006 Husqvarna SMR510 on the local Craigslist for $4,200.00. The bike looks absolutely perfect. I've got to admit, I am head over heals in lust with this bike, but don't have any idea what to expect. I currently ride a SV1000S and love the utter reliability of the bike. I had originally fallen in lust with a Ducati Monster, but steered toward the SV due to it's just "add gas and every so often count the tires" maintenance schedule vs the frequent and expensive maintenance requirements of the Ducati. Is the Husky a lot like that? Should I be instead looking at a Japanese thumper? Inquireing minds want to know...

Clydedog screwed with this post 09-17-2012 at 11:00 PM
Clydedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 03:05 AM   #2
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...

Oddometer: 2,429
Get it
09 TE450
bobnoxious67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 03:31 AM   #3
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,369
This is pretty much a competition machine with the service schedule to go with it. Not the most reliable track record either, my buddies Huskie SMR450 needed a crank rebuild after 82 hours.

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:31 AM   #4
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,811
Yah,its not gonna be like an SV. But....... as a sunday morning Yee-Haw wheelie out of tight corners sort of bike it could be an absolute kick in the ass! Not all bikes are meant to run forever like a Goldwing,but the hooligan bikes are the ones that leave memories.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:04 AM   #5
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,571
That's a great looking bike, but I too want reliability. I've heard nothing but good about the Suzuki DRZ400SM. You might research one of those.

It isn't that difficult to build your own big SM. You could start with a Honda or Suzuki 650 if you want something that can lay down highway miles.

Granted, they aren't quite as sexy as the Husky, but what good is sexy if it's in the shop?

DRZ400SM

XR650

DR650
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:19 AM   #6
GPrairie_Rider
Dirt Junkie

Oddometer: 931
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
That's a great looking bike, but I too want reliability. I've heard nothing but good about the Suzuki DRZ400SM. You might research one of those.

It isn't that difficult to build your own big SM. You could start with a Honda or Suzuki 650 if you want something that can lay down highway miles.

Granted, they aren't quite as sexy as the Husky, but what good is sexy if it's in the shop?

XR650

Thats the one you need. Bulletproof reliable and its the same color!

Chris
Old 09-18-2012, 11:28 AM   #7
LittleRedToyota
Yinzer

Oddometer: 2,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
I've heard nothing but good about the Suzuki DRZ400SM. You might research one of those.
the thing about the DRZ (i own one, S version, but bascially the same bike with different wheels), is that it just doesn't have much power.

in every other way, it is a great city hooligan bike. but the lack of power really takes away from the shit-eating-grin-fun factor, imho.

it can be fixed with a big bore kit, FCR carb, and pipe, but that adds quite a bit to the price tag.

it is as reliable as a fence post, though...requires about as much maintenance, too.

if i were starting from scratch looking to build/buy a SM, i'd look at that husky. i'd also look for a used KTM 525/530 exc (or plated xc-w) and put sumo wheels on it.
LittleRedToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 02:06 PM   #8
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjsgptx View Post
Thats the one you need. Bulletproof reliable and its the same color!

Chris
And kicking it regularly will build character.
Old 09-18-2012, 03:33 PM   #9
Ruffus
Dirty Old Mudder

Oddometer: 4,055
Crack the throttle & it'll pull your arms out
Mines been mostly problem free & the engine runs like a dream, if a little vibey on the road through the hand grips.
With my dualsport gearing it'll easily cruise at 65 mph all day long, crack the throttle & it gets to ludicrous speed in a hurry. Only real issue has been a leaking oil line (easy fix) & needed a new clutch slave (easy fix, bought a Zip-ty unit). Ohh and my kickstand snapped (another easy fix with a welder).

Oil changes every 500 to 1000 miles depending on the terrain I've been on. In extreme dusty conditions I'll change it even earlier if I can, but not greatly concerned.

Friendship is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you
can feel the true warmth.: wisdom by ??

Reverse Darwinism...he's only alive because he's to stupid to die. : wisdom by AZRamjet

06 Husky TE510
Ruffus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 03:38 PM   #10
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,495
I had 3 06 450s, all needed crank rebulds at around 100-120 hours. 2 needed cases too as the cranks kinda spider web cracked them around the bearings. Stunning performance but the KTMs will last forever compared to these. Glass big end bearings and the cases are frail.
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:02 PM   #11
71olds
Motorholic

Oddometer: 1,107
I have a 08 TE510 has over 6000 miles on it & runs like a raped ape

I also have a DRZ400 it doe snot come close to the Husky in power or fun to ride
00 Suzuki DRZ400S
71olds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:37 PM   #12
Clydedog OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
This is pretty much a competition machine with the service schedule to go with it. Not the most reliable track record either, my buddies Huskie SMR450 needed a crank rebuild after 82 hours.
....I was kinda afraid of that. The Husky is drop dead gorgeous, but beauty while torn apart at the shop won't cut it. My toys need to work with minimal fuss. Guess I'm more of an XR, WR, DRZ kinda guy....
Clydedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 01:58 AM   #13
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

If you want a high performance/light weight supermoto that holds up, get a Husaberg FS570.

Of course they still require more frequent oil changes than the 50-100 lbs heavier Jap bikes a la DRZ/DR/WRR etc, but those take less than 10 minutes, and the engine is solid, even at 60 HP.

Old 09-19-2012, 10:27 AM   #14
fastdadio
Still gettin faster

Oddometer: 1,941
Eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
If you want a high performance/light weight supermoto that holds up, get a Husaberg FS570.

Of course they still require more frequent oil changes than the 50-100 lbs heavier Jap bikes a la DRZ/DR/WRR etc, but those take less than 10 minutes, and the engine is solid, even at 60 HP.
While it may or may not be important to you. I read on this very web site that the Husaberg cases must be split in order to remove the cylinder........WTF??. And if true, would be a deal breaker for me.....
fastdadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:32 AM   #15
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastdadio View Post
While it may or may not be important to you. I read on this very web site that the Husaberg cases must be split in order to remove the cylinder........WTF??. And if true, would be a deal breaker for me.....
Well that's BS, so not a deal breaker.