Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2008, 07:42 PM   #16
BMWGScott
GScott

Oddometer: 168
I did this trip solo this past July. It was a wild feeling knowing that it was just me and the bike in the middle of nowhere. However there is enough traffic that you wouldn't be stranded for long should something happen. Everyone I met on this trip were very friendly. Definitely plan your trip in coordination with the ferries. It was a day to Labrador City from Beai Comeau and another day to Goose Bay. The rest of the ride is a piece of cake. I had no trouble getting on the ferries without reservations. The trip was a blast and one of the neatest things that I have done to this point. I do recommend getting gas, on the Trans-Lab, whenever you come to a station. I did carry a gas can with about a gallon and a half, but never needed it. I have a range of about 220-250 mpg, but never had to push it past 180 miles. I also think that on the gravel portion of the ride, about 600 miles, you can't really ride with anyone anyway because of the dust. You would have to be spaced about 1 mile apart, to avoid eating their dust. Good luck. You will love the trip.
BMWGScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 09:09 PM   #17
B.E. Coyote
(Super-Genius)

Oddometer: 5,372
Check to see if you can still get the free sat. phones. You can pick one up at a hotel on either end, leave a c.c. deposit and turn it in on the other end of the Trans-lab. Might be even a better idea if your alone.

We didn't have any run ins with people or animals, but the graders can leave some surprises for you on the road.
B.E. Coyote is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 06:27 PM   #18
Dave Noel
Giv'er

Oddometer: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mid-Life Crisis
I know many people have done this trip on their own, but is it advisable? I don't know anyone who can get the time off to go with me. I would love to travel with others, but there is something to be said about travelling alone (lots of time to think...and go crazy).
I know many people that met up with other riders along the way. they rode together as much or as little as the wanted. The ferries is where you will usually meet these other riders doing the route.

Dave

Save $5 on a SmugMug account when you use this coupon: dSt7AIzm9VxEg
Dave Noel is offline   Reply With Quote