Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2012, 09:25 PM   #196
DrKayak
Retro Rider

Oddometer: 665
Quote:
Originally Posted by F_Sahms View Post
Tore my 2005 down this weekend for the 27,000-mile valve check. They were all in spec, and almost perfectly uniform. I left the AIS off while I was at it, mostly because I could tell it would be a royal PIA to reassemble that thing. Did a nice ride this morning, and it runs good as new. Hopefully I can get another 27,000 out of it.

What an amazing motor and motorcycle. I think I'll reward it with a new shock this season.

Obligatory 129 shot:

Sweet! That's why I bought mine... I got an 04 with 7,000 miles last summer and have doubled the miles on it already. Nothing but oil changes and riding. Huge difference from my KTM that gets lots of wrench time.
04 FZ1

DrKayak screwed with this post 04-01-2012 at 09:32 PM
DrKayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:11 PM   #197
Duelsporter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 229
Time to crank up this thread again. C'mon FZ1 folks -- represent!

79 Honda CBX
82 Honda CB900F
Duelsporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:17 PM   #198
flaadvandmtbrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
Need Advice: 2002 FZ1

Looking at buying a used 2002 FZ1, 6700 miles, newish Metzelers, Akro pipe, was asking $4K, down to $3350.- looks good overall, is this a great deal? Please reply.
Old 04-15-2013, 03:21 PM   #199
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

Oddometer: 1,719
Well I don't know about your area but in my neck of the woods that is a great deal on a great bike. Do not pass that up!
Jimmy the Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:30 PM   #200
flaadvandmtbrider
Gnarly Adventurer

I thought it was a good deal. Oh, the forks looked to be leaking a bit. Anyone know of this model year specific issues? Thanks.
Old 04-15-2013, 03:30 PM   #201
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 16,970
I sold a 2002 FZ-1 with about the same miles (slightly higher) and a Hindle Ti exhaust for $3500. In 2007. I'd paid $4000 for it about a year and a half earlier, and put most of the miles on it.

I don't think it's a bad deal, but I don't think it's a smokin' deal either. It's an 11 year old motorcycle.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:56 AM   #202
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,355
I had to replace the fork seals at around 8k. Hadn't heard of this being a "known problem", but I've never had fork seals start leaking at such low mileage/age (at the time).

Check the rubber between the carbs and engine. Mine were cracking when I sold the bike with 12k miles on it. Common problem from what I understand.

Visit http://yamahafz1oa.com/forum/index.php

First gen FZ1's are awsome bikes. Super fast, fairly comfy (stock seat sucks tho), good gas mileage, good range, lots of accessories.
Mobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:13 AM   #203
Dunewar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 326
Are you sure about the mileage? 6700 is awfully low for an 11 year old bike. I bought a 2003 last year with 47k kilometers (about 30k miles) on it, looks and feels brand new!

The leaking forks would worry me a bit, but that could be from standing still too long. And nothing destroys a bike like standing still for a long time...

Pricewise it is about what I payed for mine last year, and I regret nothing. Just make sure to fiddle with the adjustable suspension. I have mine now set up so that it corners like on rails. And the power is intoxicating!
Dunewar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:29 PM   #204
Nytelyte
Somewhere about

Oddometer: 532
Its a good deal, IMHO. They seem to bottom out around 3000 or so in decent shape.
Have you ridden it?

I bought a 2002 FZ1 last February, 1400 (fourteen hundred) miles on it when i got it. You have to watch out for aging things due to disuse at that point, and the FZ1 carbs are kinda notorious for being finicky about getting gummed up.

If it starts, runs, and operates normally and you are willing to replace those fork seals, you'll never wear it out. I'm very happy with mine, and it has a lot more miles on it at this point.
And FZ1OA is where to go. Read Pats FZ1 Site (top right corner) before you ask any questions.
Nytelyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 04:04 PM   #205
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nytelyte View Post
Its a good deal, IMHO. They seem to bottom out around 3000 or so in decent shape.
Have you ridden it?

I bought a 2002 FZ1 last February, 1400 (fourteen hundred) miles on it when i got it. You have to watch out for aging things due to disuse at that point, and the FZ1 carbs are kinda notorious for being finicky about getting gummed up.

If it starts, runs, and operates normally and you are willing to replace those fork seals, you'll never wear it out. I'm very happy with mine, and it has a lot more miles on it at this point.
And FZ1OA is where to go. Read Pats FZ1 Site (top right corner) before you ask any questions.
Forgot about the carbs. Mine gummed up in the middle of summer, i.e. it was being ridden regularly. Started running crappy in the middle of a ride. I never had this happen before, except from leaving a bike sit too long. My XL350 is currently in this condition, from being parked in the basement too long. My bad.

I don't know of any reason the carbs on the FZ1 should be any more susceptible to this than any other carb.
Mobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:15 AM   #206
flaadvandmtbrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Looks like a buy.

The current owner bought it 4 years ago with 4K miles, he had a 2004 FJR right next to it that he used much more, this guy had all kind of toys - I honestly think the miles are correct, it just hasn't been used. The forks will need work - cost?? Also, I did notice the rubber between the carbs and engine looked rough - cost for all?? Thanks for the advice so far...
Old 04-17-2013, 06:49 AM   #207
Nytelyte
Somewhere about

Pretty cheap if you do it yourself. Couple parts, some time and a 6pack.

Check this out: Fork Seal @ FZ1oa

That carb rubber tubing and boots is just 12 years old. The boots get good and cracked a lot before any vacuum leaks actually occur, and then its a simple $1 part or two to replace that rubber. No big deal, replace it if something breaks, or replace them all when the first bit goes. Nothing really to worry about.

@mobiker, from what I understand, its that the passages that go to the pilots are extra small for some reason and thus are sensitive to any kind of clogging. Also the bowls / seals are a bit sensitive to levels & sticking, I had one stick, quick screwdriver rap corrected it. Just requires a little attention. I don't seem to be having any problems since the original sitting cleanup has been totally cleared out. I still run a bit of seafoam through it when I remember, but I don't worry about it too much.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:00 AM   #208
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 10,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nytelyte View Post
Pretty cheap if you do it yourself. Couple parts, some time and a 6pack.

Check this out: Fork Seal @ FZ1oa

That carb rubber tubing and boots is just 12 years old. The boots get good and cracked a lot before any vacuum leaks actually occur, and then its a simple $1 part or two to replace that rubber. No big deal, replace it if something breaks, or replace them all when the first bit goes. Nothing really to worry about.

@mobiker, from what I understand, its that the passages that go to the pilots are extra small for some reason and thus are sensitive to any kind of clogging. Also the bowls / seals are a bit sensitive to levels & sticking, I had one stick, quick screwdriver rap corrected it. Just requires a little attention. I don't seem to be having any problems since the original sitting cleanup has been totally cleared out. I still run a bit of seafoam through it when I remember, but I don't worry about it too much.
1.00 for new carb spigots or so? And quick to install?

I wanna move to your part of the country.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:05 AM   #209
Nytelyte
Somewhere about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
1.00 for new carb spigots or so? And quick to install?

I wanna move to your part of the country.
Didn't mean the spigots, I meant the boot caps that commonly crack causing a vacuum leak. Thats a common thing on this bike, and "the rubber between the carb and then engine" is somewhat non-specific.
Old 04-17-2013, 01:22 PM   #210
CatTracker
CatTracker

Oddometer: 16
Price wise I think it is a little high even with low miles. Explain to him that the fork seals are going to cost $250 and if the carbs are gummed up its going to cost another $450 or so just to make it road worthy (assuming everything else is in order). Once you get it, spend some time on FZ1OA.com and learn how to do the maintenance yourself and save the money. I don't think the carbs are any more finicky and prone to gumming up then any other bike. The problem is the oxygenated fuel that we are forced to use. If it has sat for a while, run some Seafoam through it. If it doesn't have any carb issues, just don't let it sit for long periods without a fuel stabilizer. If you get it and learn how to maintain it, I bet you wont want to part with it. Comfortable, great power, excellent fuel mileage and reliability are just a few of the traits of the Gen-1 FZ1...
CatTracker is offline   Reply With Quote