Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2008, 08:24 AM   #16
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoe
After giving this some more thought; I don’t see why an FZI with Givi side bags and top box and a good custom seat would not be a good two up sport touring bike. Note: as mentioned in previous posts, the stock seat does suck. Also the stock shock will not do well two up without a stiffer spring.
Or just get a Bandit.

With lowers, available in Canada
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 04:02 PM   #17
slip
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
I am looking at an 02 with 56K miles. From the pics, the bike looks to be in great condition. What would be a reasonable price for this bike? The guy tells me that the chain, sprokets, clutch were replaced at 50k.
Old 01-08-2008, 06:26 PM   #18
mogwai
humorless prick

Oddometer: 4,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhino_343
Anyone done any touring (particularly two up) on one of these? Got any pics of how you set it up?
Fizzer mods from a few years ago
Old 01-09-2008, 03:04 AM   #19
EXRM193
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Over looking Cannes in the South of France

EXRM193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 03:00 PM   #20
punk_emo_tx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmer fred
I didn't have to touch my 05 and it screams. Holds more gas and gets better mileage than the injected ones too, and the frames don't crack.
+1
punk_emo_tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 04:47 PM   #21
adjuster
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
EFI and cracked frames

Well, it's been about 30f high, and in the low teens and twenties at night, and I have not started my 06 in weeks... So, do I have to screw with the choke? Or get some starter fluid? Or crank till the cows come home?

Nope, just have to put in the key, note that it's still not in gear, and hit the starter button.. Fired right up. First crank. NO issues.

Love EFI. (Keep your carbs, and the crappy cold weather problems, and hot start issues... LOL)

EFI on the 06 is fixed for the "snatch" with Ivan's FCE. (And it provides a nice 10rwhp bump to the bike right in the midrange too.. not a bad deal.)

Cracked frames appear to be a rare defect considering the numbers of bikes made, and the few that have cracked. Not something I'd like to discover, but so far, mine has been no problem. (Cracked alloy frames are not unheard of either, ask some GIXeR owners.) One thing the new frames are is light, and they are no longer like limp noodles, creating handling quirks when they flex. (As the Gen1 guys can tell you.)

I'm a larger rider, so the 06 with it's higher rate springs has been very nice too. (They went from a 600lb spring on the 06, to a 500lb one on the 07's and later.) Fork springs might also have been changed, I'm not sure. Dampening in the rear shock was changed with the rate as well. (Stock rear shock is a POS, but hey, everyone really wants the Penske, Hyperpro, Elka or Wilburs anyway right... ? LOL)

I am looking at the Yamaha gel seat as an upgrade, or just sending out what I have to someone for a gel insert and some more height. I've also changed the bars to higher and wider.. Can't get past my ADV roots on the KTM :)
adjuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 04:51 PM   #22
Marvin_ADV
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 433
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by adjuster
Well, it's been about 30f high, and in the low teens and twenties at night, and I have not started my 06 in weeks... So, do I have to screw with the choke? Or get some starter fluid? Or crank till the cows come home?

Nope, just have to put in the key, note that it's still not in gear, and hit the starter button.. Fired right up. First crank. NO issues.

Love EFI. (Keep your carbs, and the crappy cold weather problems, and hot start issues... LOL)

EFI on the 06 is fixed for the "snatch" with Ivan's FCE. (And it provides a nice 10rwhp bump to the bike right in the midrange too.. not a bad deal.)

Cracked frames appear to be a rare defect considering the numbers of bikes made, and the few that have cracked. Not something I'd like to discover, but so far, mine has been no problem. (Cracked alloy frames are not unheard of either, ask some GIXeR owners.) One thing the new frames are is light, and they are no longer like limp noodles, creating handling quirks when they flex. (As the Gen1 guys can tell you.)

I'm a larger rider, so the 06 with it's higher rate springs has been very nice too. (They went from a 600lb spring on the 06, to a 500lb one on the 07's and later.) Fork springs might also have been changed, I'm not sure. Dampening in the rear shock was changed with the rate as well. (Stock rear shock is a POS, but hey, everyone really wants the Penske, Hyperpro, Elka or Wilburs anyway right... ? LOL)

I am looking at the Yamaha gel seat as an upgrade, or just sending out what I have to someone for a gel insert and some more height. I've also changed the bars to higher and wider.. Can't get past my ADV roots on the KTM :)
I like that bar setup!!!
Marvin_ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 05:21 PM   #23
adjuster
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Very comfy.

It's nice and high.. (Not what you generally see on naked bikes, especially sport bike looking ones like the FZ1.)

Rizoma 60mm risers for the thicker bars.
Protaper CR High bend bars from Psycho Gear.
Needed 1.25" longer than stock brake lines from HEL, but I was going to upgrade them anyway.
Clutch line is not too tight, but there is not much more left for going any higher.

Here is another photo, and the whole bike. I'm going to ditch the stock mirrors and have CRG bar end mirrors ready to put on. Also have put on Pazzo levers, and I'm thinking of adding a Hyperpro steering stablizer and taller windscreen.. (Not normal... but then again, it's my bike, so I like it ;))

I have looked into some soft luggage, and there are many hard case options from Givi too. Most likely, just a medium/large rear bag for the pillion seat area, and a tank bag of medium/small size will cover any trips I have in mind for this bike. Need to add a RAM mount for the GPS, and I've been told the brake makes a great radar detector mount... Oh, and how can I forget? I have heated grips with a controller, just need to mount them up at the same time I do the CRG mirrors.:)
adjuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 08:48 PM   #24
DavesNotHere
Aging squid

Oddometer: 273
I'm lovin' my 07 so far, but I got shut down by Winter before I could get very many miles on it though. Thinking about a M4 carbon fiber exhaust, and I already have some Oberon pegs, but it's too cold to anything right now.

2014 Red Honda CBR500R / Location: Colorado
DavesNotHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 10:13 AM   #25
AllBlackPearl
Alpoholic

Oddometer: 735
Talking

Hey folks...
Noob wants to add some...

Im riding my `03 Fazer for 40k now and it was worth every meter!
I cant really understand why everyone wants to change fork springs or rear shock. For me (us) it works out perfectly.
And we do a lot of 2-up touring with the bike. Ok, sometimes the main stand will scratch the ground, but hey! - its all about adventure, hu?
At the end of the day you can load quite a lot onto the Fazer (more than you are allowed to, though...) and touring is more than fun.
And additionally you may scratch kneepads aswell. Cool. Best allrounder ever.

Cheers, everyone!

Thats what it looks like when theres no time for big touring.....:

AllBlackPearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 07:57 PM   #26
XRR-kat
Prodigal Scrambler

Oddometer: 354
bump
Old 11-26-2008, 09:32 AM   #27
AllBlackPearl
Alpoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRR-kat
bump
bump??

Old 11-26-2008, 11:40 AM   #28
XRR-kat
Prodigal Scrambler

Oddometer: 354
bump?

bump for more cowbell....
while I'm at it....my current touring setup (such as it is); 3k ci tailbag; mostly for gas (2.5gal), also, Puig touring screen:
From FZ1
From FZ1
From FZ1
187 miles to empty - 50 miles on reserve. Just passed 1k mile odo mark, yields 39 mpg (4.76gal tank); 1.3 gal reserve.

XRR-kat screwed with this post 11-27-2008 at 01:08 PM Reason: attachment
XRR-kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 01:00 PM   #29
AllBlackPearl
Alpoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRR-kat
bump for more cowbell....
Ah! ..... Now Im totally lost...
Pleeeaze - could you try to explain the meaning of your words of wisdom to a foolish non-native speaker...?
Normally if I dont know a word or saying Im still able to figure out the meaning from the context - but here Im really out. Sorry....

BTW show us some pics of your mule!

Old 11-26-2008, 01:53 PM   #30
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllBlackPearl
Ah! ..... Now Im totally lost...
Pleeeaze - could you try to explain the meaning of your words of wisdom to a foolish non-native speaker...?
Normally if I dont know a word or saying Im still able to figure out the meaning from the context - but here Im really out. Sorry....

BTW show us some pics of your mule!

Bump is just a way of moving a thread to the top of the forum, ie you're posting to the thread so it moves up because it has a new post. You're not posting anything useful, you're just bumping the thread to the top. And I agree that posting pics would have been the preferred method of "bumping" the thread.

As far as cowbell...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/More_cowbell
bross is offline   Reply With Quote