Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2008, 02:28 PM   #31
AllBlackPearl
Alpoholic

Oddometer: 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross
Bump is just a way of moving a thread to the top of the forum, ie you're posting to the thread so it moves up because it has a new post. You're not posting anything useful, you're just bumping the thread to the top. And I agree that posting pics would have been the preferred method of "bumping" the thread.

As far as cowbell...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/More_cowbell
You live and learn!
Thanks bross.
And yes, Id like to see more Kilo-Fazer pics.... All model threads got loads of pages, we just got 2... Cant be.

AllBlackPearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 02:44 PM   #32
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllBlackPearl
You live and learn!
Thanks bross.
And yes, Id like to see more Kilo-Fazer pics.... All model threads got loads of pages, we just got 2... Cant be.
Sorry I can't add to the Fazer pics but how bout a pic of my CBF.

Running quickly away...
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 01:16 PM   #33
XRR-kat
Prodigal Scrambler

Oddometer: 354
bump

AllBlackPearl,
Nice setup. Is that tank bag like a Samsonite soft sided valise with bungees? They do make them in larger sizes.
I'm a beginner tourer and working my way up there. You know, 1 hour trips, 2 hour trips. I'm up to about 4 hours. Figure I'll be doing overnighters by 2012. Your kind of touring in the next century.

Bross,
Not fair to post bikes not available to us in US; and about the 1250S - It was on my short list until I test sat them sided by side - Bandit and FZ1. I'm sure it is nice, but next to the FZ1 it was cheezy. That is, I'd have to replace components from the get go; the chromy bars, top triple, stems, flashers....did - doing that with my XR650R, but wanted a bike I could fall in love with immediately. One that I loved to look at and ride....that's the FZ1. I'll still be upgrading, but I can take my time.

BTW,

Adjuster,
I like your handlebar setup with the CR Hibends, like I've got on my XR. I find I'm holding my stock FZ1 handlebars at the ends; almost to the bar-ends. Did you cut the bars down from the 31.5" stock? I was thinking CR Hibends cut an inch each side so overall would be same as stock CR Hibend width with the bar-ends.

More cowbell....
From FZ1 @ Turkey Pt
Does it look like I'm dual-sporting my FZ1 ?

XRR-kat screwed with this post 11-28-2008 at 08:12 AM
XRR-kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 07:37 PM   #34
XRR-kat
Prodigal Scrambler

burrrp; I mean bump....turkey day you know
Old 11-28-2008, 09:50 AM   #35
AllBlackPearl
Alpoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRR-kat
AllBlackPearl,
Nice setup. Is that tank bag like a Samsonite soft sided valise with bungees? They do make them in larger sizes.
I'm a beginner tourer and working my way up there. You know, 1 hour trips, 2 hour trips. I'm up to about 4 hours. Figure I'll be doing overnighters by 2012. Your kind of touring in the next century.
Actually the tank bag's a bagster. It's quite comfortable to handle, you get a lot of stuff into it plus you can lay your head on it while you're touring... The only disadvantage is that it is made of leather and doesn't stand too much rain. So you always have to pack everything into plastic bags inside. Guess I got to get a new, waterproof one..
Btw why do you take all this gas with you? Don't you have gas stations around where you live...?
When I'm touring with all this stuff you see on the picture plus my girlfriend in the back I will usually get to 49 mpg. Just commuting through Berlin it's 36 mpg.

Quote:
Bross,
Not fair to post bikes not available to us in US; and about the 1250S - It was on my short list until I test sat them sided by side - Bandit and FZ1. ........ I'll still be upgrading, but I can take my time.
The CBF is also not available in the US?? Weird...
Anyways youre perfectly right about the Bandit. Cant hold up against the Fazer. At least not against the old one...
Theres always something to be up (or down-) graded on your bike. I did so many parts by despite really loving it from the assembly line... You can always love more, you know.

Quote:
More cowbell....
Does it look like I'm dual-sporting my FZ1 ?
Does it look like Im snowbiking....?

Old 11-29-2008, 04:40 PM   #36
XRR-kat
Prodigal Scrambler

AllBlackPearl,
I just don't like to run out of gas.
Reserve is what, a couple hours ride and 120 miles? Then what?
I rather enjoy the scenery than plot gas stations.
Anyway, my schedule and family allow mostly short rides of a couple or three hours and would like to do that without having to refill en route.
Old 11-29-2008, 05:58 PM   #37
roadholder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,355
Fz1

Six years now of routine maintenance and adding gas. I'm still hard pressed to know what I would replace it with. Inexpensive, big performance, great handling combined with ride-all-day comfort. A hard combination to beat and an extremely versitile machine in this era of specialization. I've toured with it, commuted to work, back road blasting...you name it. A great combination.

All I've done to it is added the GYT kit lower bar risers and the taller, wider smoked windscreen.

2014 Yamaha FZ9
1973 Norton Commando & other old stuff
roadholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 09:58 AM   #38
AllBlackPearl
Alpoholic

@XRR-cat: I totally agree , looking for gas stations sucks much more than riding and enoying the scenery. Nevertheless I have never been in serious trouble so far. 350-400 km are quite a lot... And I would not really like the thought of having highly flammable gas on my backseat... probably I'm just a coward...

@roadholder: Nice bike!
Yeah, you're right, it is just a great ride. You already added lower risers, so you should definitely put on a SBK bar! (see my pics!) You will have a new bike, trust me! (and please spring for some smaller flashers... *g*)
Which tires did you put on? Handling totally changes with different tires.

AllBlackPearl screwed with this post 11-30-2008 at 03:36 PM
Old 11-30-2008, 11:12 AM   #39
iyeager
I lost my avatar...

Oddometer: 2,782
Here's mine, an '02, without it's winter handguards on.

I've also got a set of soft bags for her for the long trips. 2 up with my wife has been no problem, although she does have uprated suspending bits on her.

Ian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iyeager
...if I can get time off from the soulless great machine.
iyeager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 03:34 PM   #40
AllBlackPearl
Alpoholic

Ian!
Fast you are.
Well - you don't wanna sell this baby, do you?

Which handguards do you put on for winter? I just orderes the PowerMadds to give them a try. Could you probably post some pics with handguards mounted? I wonder if there's a prob with the fairing...
Anyways, get this bike to germany, man!

(and get a smaller windshield plus SBK bar!)

Old 11-30-2008, 04:06 PM   #41
iyeager
I lost my avatar...

Oddometer: 2,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllBlackPearl
Ian!
Fast you are.
Well - you don't wanna sell this baby, do you?

Which handguards do you put on for winter? I just orderes the PowerMadds to give them a try. Could you probably post some pics with handguards mounted? I wonder if there's a prob with the fairing...
Anyways, get this bike to germany, man!

(and get a smaller windshield plus SBK bar!)
I've got the V-strom handguards on it. The super tall windshield is the highway shield. I've got a low one for round town riding.

I'll never put the superbike bar back on. The stock is 100% more comfortable and the front still feels acceptable to me. I tried a higher bar moved back some and didn't like the disconnected front end feel, so I settled on this.

I'm at work now. Tomorrow I'll take some pictures with the handguards on and post them up.

Ian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iyeager
...if I can get time off from the soulless great machine.
iyeager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 11:44 AM   #42
AllBlackPearl
Alpoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by iyeager
I've got the V-strom handguards on it. The super tall windshield is the highway shield. I've got a low one for round town riding.

I'll never put the superbike bar back on. The stock is 100% more comfortable and the front still feels acceptable to me. I tried a higher bar moved back some and didn't like the disconnected front end feel, so I settled on this.

I'm at work now. Tomorrow I'll take some pictures with the handguards on and post them up.

Ian
Wow! You are definitely the fist person I know that doesn't like the superbike bar!
I've got 3cm(!) lower risers (from an XT600) and the superbike bar on plus I have the rear lifted 3cm and it is superb! MUCH more feeling for the front wheel, much more fun in the turns. In MY opinion....
But - each to his own!

I normally put the streetfighter windshield on. The normal shield just jumps in during winter and for big tours. I like to feel some wind, you know, that's part of riding for me.

Really loking forward to seeing the pics! I've never seen a FZ1 with handguards! I guess mine will be the only one in Germany....

BTW....

Herewith (tatatataaaa....) I call on you to show us all kind of mods you did on your BigOne! Post pics and convince us that your bike is the best in town! :)
(I will list my mods later, too....)

AllBlackPearl screwed with this post 12-01-2008 at 12:15 PM
Old 12-02-2008, 08:48 PM   #43
roadholder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,355
Bar examination

Quote:
Originally Posted by iyeager
I have to admit to liking the lowered stock bar better. I think it probably comes down to preference and individual rider reach/ergos, etc. The improvement with the lowering kit was dramatic and vastly improved. Yes, you feel the front end much better, without undo weight on your wrists...or all your weight on your but with the stock setup!

Too bad they just didn't sell it that way stock and charge you extra for a "raizing" kit instead!

2014 Yamaha FZ9
1973 Norton Commando & other old stuff
roadholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 01:53 PM   #44
AllBlackPearl
Alpoholic

As for the mods....
I think I will start then.

Well, I got my baby in 2005 when it was 3 months old. That's what it looked like back then, right from the factory, so to say :

By April 2006 I had done some nice little mods, e.g. a SBK bar, Remus exhaust and new flashers:

Then, in late 2006 I had a big bad crash and the bike really looked like over and out on the first glance...
Unfortunately all the pics of the damaged bike vanished somehow... So all I can show you is part of the gear I was wearing. ATGATT!!!
I hit the street at ~ 120km/h.....

Anyways, I build the bike up again and afterwards it was better then before! That's what it looked like by last summer, since then only little has been changed:

Now, that's what it looks like today and in full touring set-up:

And I'm always in good company....

And here's a list of what has been done and added:

* Sebring Twister aluminium exhaust
* Puig Crashpads
* GRP rear wheel mudguard
* LSL A01 aluminium SBK bar
* 3 cm lower risers (from XT600)
* vibration absorbers (bar ends) Kellermann LS1000
* Bagster tank cover
* black mini flashers
* GRP front spoiler (Yamaha)
* K&N air filter
* modified air box
* smaller pinion (15 teeth)
* streetfighter windscreen blue (Yamaha)
* carbon look bar mirrors
* aluminium foot pegs front and rear
* shorter steering levers (rear raised 3cm)
* aluminium radiator cover

Well that's all I can think of at the moment...

As for the tires: Got the Metzeler RoadTec Z6 at the moment - absolutely fantastic! Next I will try the new Dunlop Roadsmart.
Brake pads of course EBC GoldStuff.

Now I will just sit and wait for comments and pics of our own mods!

Old 12-11-2008, 01:44 PM   #45
AllBlackPearl
Alpoholic

...seems as if sitting and waiting will take a little longer than expected...