User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2015, 09:23 AM   #1
The Fist OP
Knulp

Oddometer: 3,596
True "Beachside" Camping in S. Florida?

On Feb. 20th, the ol' lady and I are headed to Miami and renting a E-150 camper van.

We're looking to find some rustic, off the beaten path, true "beachside" camping. We'll be bumming around S. Florida for 5 days.

I've decided that the Keys are out. Unless someone says otherwise.

So we're thinking maybe near Homestead or Flamingo or ....? We'd like to stay within 100 miles of Miami if possible -- but this is not a deal-breaker.

I've tried the whole Google thing and have a decent idea of what the State parks have to offer, but everything south of Key Largo is booked.

Can anyone help us out finding a quiet little place to park and camp while gazing at the Gulf of Mexico or the Atlantic? Or even better....does anyone have lot space where the two of us could impose on your good-will & privacy and camp out on your beachside property? I can trade camping space in SW Colorado

We're boon docking and will not need access to power or water or anything like that. And if there's any question as to the legality of your recommendation, all the better. We're down.

Feel free to PM me....I'll be discreet with your coveted, secret beach places, I promise.

Thanks.

-Will
The Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 11:49 AM   #2
Jack Daniel
See Ya At The Swamp

Oddometer: 12,041
I'd head to Long Key State Park

Although it's liable to be plum full of yankees

The Scrub The Swamp
Jack Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 11:55 AM   #3
Jack Daniel
See Ya At The Swamp

Sebastian used to have camping on the beach

And the only pristine beach in the state

If you stop in the middle

You can look for a mile in either direction and only see primitive beach

But you have to park out along the highway and walk in

The Scrub The Swamp

Jack Daniel screwed with this post 01-19-2015 at 12:10 PM
Old 01-19-2015, 02:34 PM   #4
danh600
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 327
Campgrounds are very full during the winter months in Florida. I would go on the Florida State Park website and start looking now. Keep checking back because there are sometimes cancelations. Week days of course are much easier.

Flamingo has water and is relatively easy to get into, but not really a beach. At least not a sand beach for swimming. Flamingo is the Everglades. Great for kayaking and fishing, not so much for swimming. The walk in sites where you pitch a tent have great water views. I don't think the loops where you camp with trailers has a water view.

If you do decide to go to the keys. Long Key campsites are right on the water. Bahia Honda and Curry Hammock also have some waterfront sights.

The panhandle has some beautiful state parks on the beach. However the campsites are not on the beach. Plus that's a full days drive from Miami.

I am not familiar with the private campgrounds, that might be an option.
danh600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 06:46 AM   #5
Colemanfu
King of all manfu

Oddometer: 3,510
TF - sounds like a great trip. This is the best time of year to van camp in Florida

Thus the full sites - kind of like CO in June. Can't speak for down south (cause I don't live there) but there are a few private camps along the coast in Flagler Beach and up in St Augustine.
Your always welcome to park in the drive at Castle Cole - not on the water but you can see the river from the driveway.
Old 01-20-2015, 07:37 AM   #6
Jack Daniel
See Ya At The Swamp

I'd forego Flamingo

There's not much there other than a boat ramp

At least that's what I remember

Better to just drive over towards Everglade City via US-41...

And the Loop Road

http://www.nps.gov/bicy/planyourvisit/scenic-drives.htm

The Scrub The Swamp
Old 01-20-2015, 10:13 AM   #7
FLARider1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,265
Really isnt much beachside camping this far south. For sure not in the Homestead area. Long Key and Bahia Honda are the best down there for state parks. There is also a private campground on Long Key that I can't remember the name of and several others up and down. But as previoulsy stated, might be tough getting a spot. The RV sites for Flamingo are back away from the water, so not really beachside camping.
FLARider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 12:55 PM   #8
Sandspit
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Melbourne Beach has a private small campground that is ocean front, Long Point near Sebastion Inlet has riverfront camping that is nice but it is a walk to get to the Ocean (10 min or so). Way back a long time ago you could camp on the beach , you still can be you may get hassled by FWC. All of the above is in Brevard County (Space Center area due south). I'll snap a shot of the Mel Bch spot for you. If you can get a river front spot in the Long Point camp ground you will like it very much, fish, birds, dolphins maybe a manatee, boats fishing, etc. The Mel Beach one has amazing views of the Ocean but cater to large RV's that squat all winter long could be crowded or fully occupied

Past Bikes: KD 80, KX 80, CR 125, KX 250, numerous YZ 250's, DR 350, 750 Sabre and a KLR 650 that tried to kill me

Sandspit screwed with this post 01-20-2015 at 01:00 PM
Sandspit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 06:12 PM   #9
clark-kentski
PartiallyBionic

Oddometer: 898
I like this place http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...s_Florida.html

Which one of you FF's was it?...Charter contributor
XR650R ?? Yes Doctor,that's the one.
clark-kentski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 12:58 PM   #10
The Fist OP
Knulp

Oddometer: 3,596
Thanks everyone. Having spent a lot of time in Marco Island, I'm familiar with the Loop Road....its f-n awesome....we will definitely head up that way instead of trying to fight the crowds in the keys...

Knowing that we have 5 days (and technically, 100 miles per day on the Van Rental), how far north/west should we go to find boon docking camping? We want to sleep in the van.

Thanks!
The Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:59 AM   #11
RBrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fist View Post
Thanks everyone. Having spent a lot of time in Marco Island, I'm familiar with the Loop Road....its f-n awesome....we will definitely head up that way instead of trying to fight the crowds in the keys...

Knowing that we have 5 days (and technically, 100 miles per day on the Van Rental), how far north/west should we go to find boon docking camping? We want to sleep in the van.

Thanks!
I don't think you'll find it at all, to be honest with you. Not real boondock camping.

If you're willing to travel 175/200 miles, try the Sebastian Inlet State Pk on the east coast at the Indian River / Brevard Co line. It's a beautiful spot for camping, worth taking a look, imo.

RB
RBrider is offline   Reply With Quote