ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2012, 10:28 PM   #3916
Buzztail
NMBBMFBK
 
Buzztail's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: BUZZTOPIA
Oddometer: 10,924
Quote:
Originally Posted by halmc View Post
Buzz is sandbaggin'. He's very clo$e to a certain realtor.

BTW. I'm gonna give my IT-175 a moderate flogging tomorrw PM, if it's not raining like shit. Gonna start from that fuct gas station just north of Blue Sink at intersection of US319 and Rivers Road. Crankin' up about 1430.
Maybe you need it to rain so that IT is watercooled for a little bit

I assume you got the jetting sorted?
__________________
When there is no way out - Find a way further in.
DL650 DR350 MMS Edition KDX Past bikes ...and an airhead vvv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugwest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzztail
You shoulda told me to do this a long time ago
My bad
Buzztail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 03:49 AM   #3917
halmc
Turkey T*urd
 
halmc's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Tallahassee, Florida -- home of good ideas
Oddometer: 2,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzztail View Post
I assume you got the jetting sorted?
Well, I dunno. I've been running Wal*Mart two stroke oil at 50:1, or more correctly, 1:50, and when I told him, one of my old riding buddies had a calf. He says I should run "good oil" at 1:30 and added that I was a dumb turd.

So I'm running Wal*Mart at 1:30. And it hasn't seized again.

Yet.

Maybe I'll spring for mo' better oil (assuming that it is better) the next time I have to call a bud to come fetch my ass outa the ANF.

I went +1 size on both the main and pilot, and pulled the needle up to its last notch. It 'four strokes' just a bit when unloaded in mid range rpm.

Here's why I'm more persuaded that it's a too-weak oil-to-gas mixture rather than fuel/air: My new-to-me GMC Envoy Denali with it's 5300cc V-8 gets much better gas mileage than does my 175cc yamaha..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzztail View Post
Maybe you need it to rain so that IT is watercooled for a little bit
Nest time I see you, I'll have to tell you about my late air-cooled Jaguar XK8 convertible.
__________________
BMW R1200RT; KTM 300 XCW; KTM 400 EXC; Suz DR350ES

* * *

Always forgive your enemies, but never forget their names -- JFK

halmc screwed with this post 07-11-2012 at 04:07 AM
halmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 04:05 AM   #3918
halmc
Turkey T*urd
 
halmc's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Tallahassee, Florida -- home of good ideas
Oddometer: 2,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by motomike14 View Post
Ok, well, basically going to be looking at anything in general, as long as I'm not commuting 40 miles a day (been there, hated that)
I hear ya, but I think you'll find that commutes in Tallahassee aren't the same as those that are found south of Ocala, or east of I-75. Still, they can be annoying.

If I were a young buck moving to Tallahassee, I'd look at stuff in Thomasville. It's an easy commute to McClay, and every thing from real estate taxes to homeowners insurance is computed upon needs and risks of mostly rural Georgia in lieu of Dade, Duval, Hillsborough, Pinellas, and Orange counties.

I really cherish being thrown into the risk pool that includes these counties (along with Escambia, Santa Rosa, Okaloosa, Walton, and Bay) when insuring my digs against hurrican damage.
__________________
BMW R1200RT; KTM 300 XCW; KTM 400 EXC; Suz DR350ES

* * *

Always forgive your enemies, but never forget their names -- JFK
halmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 05:49 AM   #3919
Buzztail
NMBBMFBK
 
Buzztail's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: BUZZTOPIA
Oddometer: 10,924
Quote:
Originally Posted by halmc View Post
Well, I dunno. I've been running Wal*Mart two stroke oil at 50:1, or more correctly, 1:50, and when I told him, one of my old riding buddies had a calf. He says I should run "good oil" at 1:30 and added that I was a dumb turd.

So I'm running Wal*Mart at 1:30. And it hasn't seized again.

Yet.

Maybe I'll spring for mo' better oil (assuming that it is better) the next time I have to call a bud to come fetch my ass outa the ANF.

I went +1 size on both the main and pilot, and pulled the needle up to its last notch. It 'four strokes' just a bit when unloaded in mid range rpm.

Here's why I'm more persuaded that it's a too-weak oil-to-gas mixture rather than fuel/air: My new-to-me GMC Envoy Denali with it's 5300cc V-8 gets much better gas mileage than does my 175cc yamaha..

Nest time I see you, I'll have to tell you about my late air-cooled Jaguar XK8 convertible.
If you use a good oil, and jet it right you can run 50 or 60:1 with no problem in an air cooled two stroke. Amsoil, Bel-ray, Mobile 1, all make good stuff. I can set a quart outside my garage for you to try if you wanna. Or, gimme a call tonight. I'll be putting the Kenda 270 on the Ascot. You can check it out all spiffed up with her new tires
BTW I used to buy Amsoil two stroke oil in 15 gallon drums when I was running the big Mako offshore a couple times a month... It was a different time in America for gas prices...
__________________
When there is no way out - Find a way further in.
DL650 DR350 MMS Edition KDX Past bikes ...and an airhead vvv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugwest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzztail
You shoulda told me to do this a long time ago
My bad
Buzztail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:03 AM   #3920
halmc
Turkey T*urd
 
halmc's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Tallahassee, Florida -- home of good ideas
Oddometer: 2,083
Hmmmmm. Well I just might surprise you and visit. I do wanna get in line for the Ascot (or is it Ascott) when you tire of it. In fact, we could work a deal for this.

Come to think on it, I believe in my heart of hearts that any of you TLH ADV folks would look good in my truck, the details of which are here.

Here's some powerful temptation:

__________________
BMW R1200RT; KTM 300 XCW; KTM 400 EXC; Suz DR350ES

* * *

Always forgive your enemies, but never forget their names -- JFK
halmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:13 AM   #3921
Buzztail
NMBBMFBK
 
Buzztail's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: BUZZTOPIA
Oddometer: 10,924
Come on by.

5Spd Dodge... Damn, If I didn't already have four trucks, I'd talk to ya... but alas with the stack of irons waiting to get in my fire another one isn't in the cards...
__________________
When there is no way out - Find a way further in.
DL650 DR350 MMS Edition KDX Past bikes ...and an airhead vvv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugwest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzztail
You shoulda told me to do this a long time ago
My bad
Buzztail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:21 AM   #3922
halmc
Turkey T*urd
 
halmc's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Tallahassee, Florida -- home of good ideas
Oddometer: 2,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzztail View Post
5Spd Dodge... Damn, If I didn't already have four trucks, I'd talk to ya... but alas with the stack of irons waiting to get in my fire another one isn't in the cards...
Yet do you not have an extra Ascot (or is it Ascott) darkening your garage floor?

Hey, on another note, you'll remember some DMV legal wrangling re my IT-175. Czech out the fruits of my labor:

__________________
BMW R1200RT; KTM 300 XCW; KTM 400 EXC; Suz DR350ES

* * *

Always forgive your enemies, but never forget their names -- JFK
halmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:29 AM   #3923
halmc
Turkey T*urd
 
halmc's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Tallahassee, Florida -- home of good ideas
Oddometer: 2,083
HID Headlight for bike

I have a fully functioning HID single lamp headlight (plug 'n' play) set up to replace an H7 bulb that I yesterday removed from one o' my bikes. I'll either trade it for some Hooters wings & non-alcoholic beverages, or free to anyone who can demonstrate the level of poverty from which Mitt Romney purports to suffer..
__________________
BMW R1200RT; KTM 300 XCW; KTM 400 EXC; Suz DR350ES

* * *

Always forgive your enemies, but never forget their names -- JFK
halmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:39 AM   #3924
Buzztail
NMBBMFBK
 
Buzztail's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: BUZZTOPIA
Oddometer: 10,924
In reality the Ascot has a place here to keep me from buying SuMo wheels for the 690.

If I got ONE bike that can do some street duty without getting Johnny Law up my ass I'll keep my clean DL intact

I'd like a 17" 19" set up for the KTM to be able to run some proper DS rubber and still get some life out of them.
__________________
When there is no way out - Find a way further in.
DL650 DR350 MMS Edition KDX Past bikes ...and an airhead vvv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugwest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzztail
You shoulda told me to do this a long time ago
My bad
Buzztail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:13 AM   #3925
halmc
Turkey T*urd
 
halmc's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Tallahassee, Florida -- home of good ideas
Oddometer: 2,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzztail View Post
In reality the Ascot has a place here to keep me from buying SuMo wheels for the 690.

If I got ONE bike that can do some street duty without getting Johnny Law up my ass I'll keep my clean DL intact

I'd like a 17" 19" set up for the KTM to be able to run some proper DS rubber and still get some life out of them.
Hmmmm. Well, I have a spiffy set of Motard wheels & tars for '07 EXC..>>
__________________
BMW R1200RT; KTM 300 XCW; KTM 400 EXC; Suz DR350ES

* * *

Always forgive your enemies, but never forget their names -- JFK
halmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:50 AM   #3926
Buzztail
NMBBMFBK
 
Buzztail's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: BUZZTOPIA
Oddometer: 10,924
Quote:
Originally Posted by halmc View Post
Hmmmm. Well, I have a spiffy set of Motard wheels & tars for '07 EXC..>>
Yeah? I'm not 100% sure they'll go on the 690. It's wider I think and has a cush hub. Let's dig deeper and see...
__________________
When there is no way out - Find a way further in.
DL650 DR350 MMS Edition KDX Past bikes ...and an airhead vvv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugwest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzztail
You shoulda told me to do this a long time ago
My bad
Buzztail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 02:25 PM   #3927
motomike14
Thumper Crusader
 
motomike14's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Florida
Oddometer: 1,710
For that old IT, pick up some Belray MC-1 oil. Designed for air cooled, non-power valve motors. Burns cleaner than a baby's behind. It's like $8 a bottle, but worth every penny.

Run it in my old Yamahas and I haven't changed a plug in forever. No awkward droll!
__________________
"The bold adventurer succeeds the best. - Ovid

I drink the koolaid too...just not the orange kind.
motomike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 03:42 PM   #3928
Buzztail
NMBBMFBK
 
Buzztail's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: BUZZTOPIA
Oddometer: 10,924
That Bel-Ray MC-1 is what I ran in my old '76 Yamaha 125 two smoker, and IIRC we were running it around 60:1 before it was all said and done. We also kept cutting the head, and deck until we ran out of room, but it was pretty sporty when we got done.

BTW We= J and myself circa 1993
__________________
When there is no way out - Find a way further in.
DL650 DR350 MMS Edition KDX Past bikes ...and an airhead vvv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugwest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzztail
You shoulda told me to do this a long time ago
My bad
Buzztail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 05:28 PM   #3929
halmc
Turkey T*urd
 
halmc's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Tallahassee, Florida -- home of good ideas
Oddometer: 2,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by motomike14 View Post
For that old IT, pick up some Belray MC-1 oil. Designed for air cooled, non-power valve motors. Burns cleaner than a baby's behind. It's like $8 a bottle, but worth every penny.

Run it in my old Yamahas and I haven't changed a plug in forever. No awkward droll!
Ya know at 16mpg, I be burnin' Gawd's a-plenty oil. I'll give it a shot. Didn't have no steenking seizures to day, and gave it a pretty good work out, but it was about ten degrees cooler today than it was last time it fukked up.

BTW, here's today's ride. Astute folks will notice that I turned around on the powerline. That's cuz there's a culvert washed out at N30.22380 W84.39624. it's well marked, but I'd hate to be the first turd to come along after some 'necks steal the sign.

Another thing, the gps didn't find the satellites immediately upon my start. Despite its track recording, I did start and stop at the same place. Unlike last time.

The ride:

__________________
BMW R1200RT; KTM 300 XCW; KTM 400 EXC; Suz DR350ES

* * *

Always forgive your enemies, but never forget their names -- JFK

halmc screwed with this post 07-11-2012 at 05:48 PM
halmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:45 PM   #3930
motomike14
Thumper Crusader
 
motomike14's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Florida
Oddometer: 1,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzztail View Post
That Bel-Ray MC-1 is what I ran in my old '76 Yamaha 125 two smoker, and IIRC we were running it around 60:1 before it was all said and done. We also kept cutting the head, and deck until we ran out of room, but it was pretty sporty when we got done.

BTW We= J and myself circa 1993
It's recommended at 50:1 for "racing conditions," so you could go 60:1 without any problem. I run 40:1 only because I'm paranoid and my RT360 has a little detonation on deaccel. I was sort of apprehensive with the stuff at first, but am completely sold.
__________________
"The bold adventurer succeeds the best. - Ovid

I drink the koolaid too...just not the orange kind.
motomike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014