Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2014, 05:36 PM   #5041
halmc
Turkey T*urd

Oddometer: 2,022
How many of you folks have seen Brad Lackey motocross in Tallahassee, replete with his #1 plate?

How many knew that Tallahassee had one of the best MX tracks in USA?

How many know who the hell Brad Lackey is?

Picture compliments of Billy Stiles, a riding bud of mine.

Always forgive your enemies, but never forget their names -- JFK
halmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 05:42 PM   #5042
tenfiddy
Demotivational P C

Oddometer: 185
I remember his name from waaay back but that's it!
"Unlimited foobar until epoch!"
tenfiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 02:50 AM   #5043
halmc
Turkey T*urd

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenfiddy View Post
I remember his name from waaay back but that's it!
Motocross was the exclusive province of the Europeans. Until Brad Lackey showed up. Never their exclusive territory after that.

Old 08-17-2014, 12:25 PM   #5044
waybill
cheap thrill

Oddometer: 674
Quote:
Originally Posted by halmc View Post

How many knew that Tallahassee had one of the best MX tracks in USA?

How many know who the hell Brad Lackey is?

Picture compliments of Billy Stiles, a riding bud of mine.
I was out there a few times ('69-'71)? don't remember seeing Lackey but Gary Bailey put on a good show, think he rode an Ossa, somebody fast did anyway. That was a great track, big cliff on one side and the climb back up the other, made for some big air in the day. It was up northeast somewhere, what road was it?

1150Adv, 950Adv, 800GS, TR650, DR350
waybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 06:19 PM   #5045
halmc
Turkey T*urd

Quote:
Originally Posted by waybill View Post
I was out there a few times ('69-'71)? don't remember seeing Lackey but Gary Bailey put on a good show, think he rode an Ossa, somebody fast did anyway. That was a great track, big cliff on one side and the climb back up the other, made for some big air in the day. It was up northeast somewhere, what road was it?
Miller Landing on the Phipps property, immediately adjacent to Lake Jackson. Bailey was most likely on a Bultaco. He lived in Tallahassee for a while, not far, as I understand, from Pogey's cycle shop. There were other top MX'rs who rode Mid Lake. I think it closed before 1975, but not sure.

Bailey ran at least one MX school here in TLH.

Old 08-17-2014, 06:32 PM   #5046
Vico1
The Maestro

Oddometer: 5,823
Quote:
Barry Higgins rode an Ossa around that time. I raced CZs back then and raced against them. I will show old 8mm films of them and Trans AM at the Turkey Trot. Movies od ddDecoster on a CZ.

You dont quit riding when you get old, you get old when you quit riding.
I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do I prefer VStroms
Vico1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 08:54 PM   #5047
waybill
cheap thrill

Oddometer: 674
Quote:
Originally Posted by halmc View Post
Miller Landing on the Phipps property, immediately adjacent to Lake Jackson. Bailey was most likely on a Bultaco. He lived in Tallahassee for a while, not far, as I understand, from Pogey's cycle shop. There were other top MX'rs who rode Mid Lake. I think it closed before 1975, but not sure.

Bailey ran at least one MX school here in TLH.
Thanks, I thought it was up Meridian a ways wasn't sure exactly, and vaguely remember Bailey had something going on around town. Don't remember Pogey's tho, but things were a little fuzzy back then. I didn't race but we used to goof around in some of the clay pits, had a Kawasaki Big Horn then got a Yammie RT360 from Hartman's, I think Dusty Miller may have sold it to me. I was gone by the summer of '72, had some great times there tho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vico1 View Post
Barry Higgins rode an Ossa around that time. I raced CZs back then and raced against them. I will show old 8mm films of them and Trans AM at the Turkey Trot. Movies od ddDecoster on a CZ.
That name sounds familiar, probably saw you too Vic, I remember those yellow CZ's, and would like seein' those old movies. I'm trying to be back in Colorado in mid Sept/early Oct, but maybe can time the out or back with TT, who knows.

1150Adv, 950Adv, 800GS, TR650, DR350
waybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 03:20 AM   #5048
halmc
Turkey T*urd

Quote:
Don't remember Pogey's tho.
Wendell Poggie (which I misspelled) was the owner of the Kawasaki, Suzuki, Bultaco and Harley shop(s) for years. He split off Harley when Harley was well into its revival. He later acquired Yamaha and Honda. He sold the business sometime ago and is still very much a motorcycle kinda guy, especially fond of flat tracking.

Barry Higgins was a top rider, first in MX, then in ISDT. Last saw him (and his dad) racing at vintage MX down in Ocala a few years ago. Lotsa years ago, I was at a race in Waggaman, LA when Higgins "dieseled" the shocks on what I think was a Maico.

Here's nearly a half hour of MX at Mid Lake MX here in Tallahassee from 1972 or so. EDIT: Some of the video also featured the Cairo, GA, track as well as Valdosta.

halmc screwed with this post 08-19-2014 at 04:05 PM
Old 08-19-2014, 04:20 AM   #5049
Vico1
The Maestro

Oddometer: 5,823
Damn those movies look just like mine!

When I converted to DVD I copied the whole thing at 1/2 speed. You can almost make out the bikes watching that slow. Still awesome stuff.

I rode pro motocross in 69 -72 but I don't remember Tally racetracks... but then I don't remember a lot about back then... I do know I raced 50 weekends in 1972 and then I quit - gave sponsored bike back to shop and went back to enduro riding... life was better after that.

I will be showing old movies at the Trot...yall come on over!

You dont quit riding when you get old, you get old when you quit riding.
I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do I prefer VStroms
Vico1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 01:09 PM   #5050
HTSRocker OP
Absurd

Oddometer: 2,327
If any one from or passing through this area would like to ride along with me to the Turkey Trot, let me know and I'll try and make it interesting.
Old Today, 08:52 AM   #5051
unlawfulsm
Bearded Hooligan

Oddometer: 525
New to the Tallahassee Area, actually in Thomasville, but spent 4 years in Tallahassee in the early 2000's and somewhat familiar with the area. Just bought a new to me 2008 KTM 950 Super Enduro that is being delivered in the next couple of weeks. Looking to ride as much dirt as possible and already have begun exploring some of the dirt roads around the house on a borrowed KLR and on my mountain bike, and occasionally in the wifes civic. Moved from the North GA mountains via Savannah, so I get up to the mountains often. Just wanted to say hey and let me know if anyone is getting out in the dirt. Looks like the weather is getting perfect for riding, where my North GA friends are starting to complain about the cold. Bike arrives 11/7, been riding along time, mostly dual sport riding, so I wont slow you down if youre worried about that

Use Code- iFRLhicsrl4no

Great Deals on Gear
unlawfulsm is online now   Reply With Quote