Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2008, 04:01 PM   #1
Pax OP
shazam.

Oddometer: 812
Patzcuaro, Mexico?

Guys, Gals:

The family and friends are considering a trip to Mexico in summer of 2008. There are 20 folks headed down there (with 3 of us riding). We are considering trailering the bikes to Patzcuaro and spending several days running excursions around the region.

Will we be able to send the bikes accross the border without all the riders present? Will we have trouble with insuring them w/o the riders all there? What other issues am I missing?

I'm looking for the collective input at this point so what can you tell me about the area, accomodations (for 20!), etc? What pointers do you have or would you do something entirely different? We like the idea of a colonial area. We are bringing our kids which means we need generally decent accomodations for them and the wives.

Thanks,
-Pax

“Character is much easier kept than recovered.” –Thomas Paine
Pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 06:03 PM   #2
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
Google is your bestest buddy.
There are cabins on the lake that might your needs for a large group and kids.
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 07:17 PM   #3
Pax OP
shazam.

Thanks Lone Rider,

We've certainly conducted a lot of reserach on the area and have talked with several accomodations. I'm really looking for input that would come from the adventure community who has ridden in the area. Any input you could give on rides, trails, things to do in the area, etc would be great help to me.

Thanks!
Pax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rider
Google is your bestest buddy.
There are cabins on the lake that might your needs for a large group and kids.

Old 01-07-2008, 02:17 PM   #4
Pax OP
shazam.

Anyone? Should I try another forum?

Old 01-08-2008, 02:32 PM   #5
Pax OP
shazam.

Mexico - Patzcuaro

edit: please don't move me to travels...I posted over there and din't get a great response about the borders...I know some of you guys have ridden there and need your help!

I'm considering a trip to Patzcuaro, Mexico in summer of 2008. There are 20 folks headed down there (with 3+ of us riding). We are considering trailering the bikes to Patzcuaro and spending several days running excursions around the region.

Questions:
  1. Will we be able to send the bikes accross the border without all the riders present?
  2. How do we handle insurance? Comprehensive coverage? What is available and how?
  3. Can we get insurance without all the riders there?
I'm looking for collective help at this point so what can you tell me about the area, accomodations (for 20!), etc? What pointers do you have or would you do something entirely different? We like the idea of a colonial area. We are bringing our kids which means we need generally decent accomodations for them and the wives.

Thanks,
-Pax

Pax screwed with this post 01-08-2008 at 02:59 PM
Old 01-08-2008, 03:44 PM   #6
Pelon
Dia Por Dia

Oddometer: 1,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvPax
edit: please don't move me to travels...I posted over there and din't get a great response about the borders...I know some of you guys have ridden there and need your help!

I'm considering a trip to Patzcuaro, Mexico in summer of 2008. There are 20 folks headed down there (with 3+ of us riding). We are considering trailering the bikes to Patzcuaro and spending several days running excursions around the region.

Questions:
  1. Will we be able to send the bikes accross the border without all the riders present?
  2. How do we handle insurance? Comprehensive coverage? What is available and how?
  3. Can we get insurance without all the riders there?
I'm looking for collective help at this point so what can you tell me about the area, accomodations (for 20!), etc? What pointers do you have or would you do something entirely different? We like the idea of a colonial area. We are bringing our kids which means we need generally decent accomodations for them and the wives.

Thanks,
-Pax
1. Yes, so long as you have vehicle importation permits for each bike and each vehicle. Those can be purchased at the border, or in advance at the consulate, but the owner will either need to be present or send someone with a notarized power of attorney (or so I have heard);
2. Insurance can be purchased online. Get comprehensive coverage with roadside assistance if you can afford it. You need the VIN, as well as a valid U.S. policy in order for hte insurance to be in effect. I have used these guys before: http://www.mexadventure.com/MexicanI...for_Mexico.cfm
They are pretty good, and you can print your policy and take it with you. It can get pricey, though, so shop around. I now just purchase annual coverage because of the cost of temporary coverage.
3. Yes. Just do it online.

As far as hotels, etc., can't help you there. My Mexican travels are limited to Baja, Sonora, Sinaloa, Mexico City, and the Yucatan. But, here is a link that you might find useful: www.patzcuaromexico.com.

Pelon screwed with this post 01-08-2008 at 04:44 PM
Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 08:12 PM   #7
Pax OP
shazam.

Pelon:

I'll check it out. We are trying to send one guy down with the bikes while I accopmany the women to our destination. We considered riding down, but it would be a little lengthy trying to do it with the family meeting us there.

Thanks for your time!

-Pax

Old 01-08-2008, 08:26 PM   #8
Pelon
Dia Por Dia

Oddometer: 1,061
Quote:
Pelon:

I'll check it out. We are trying to send one guy down with the bikes while I accopmany the women to our destination. We considered riding down, but it would be a little lengthy trying to do it with the family meeting us there.

Thanks for your time!

-Pax
No worries. Let me know if you need any help with the permits, etc. I live very close to the border, and I have frequent business at the Mexican consulate, so if you need any info, I can check it out for you. One problem is that, while you might be told everything is fine, you also might get to the border and be told something completely different. I have discovered that pictures of Andrew Jackson printed on green stock go a long way towards resolving such conflicts.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:32 PM   #9
Pax OP
shazam.

Pelon:

It is likely I will call upon you. In planning the trip I believe we are prepared for delays and additional "costs" at the borders. Never having done this before our major concern is that I get on a plane and we can't get the bikes down there which is a major part of the trip. Thanks again for the offer!

-Pax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelon
No worries. Let me know if you need any help with the permits, etc. I live very close to the border, and I have frequent business at the Mexican consulate, so if you need any info, I can check it out for you. One problem is that, while you might be told everything is fine, you also might get to the border and be told something completely different. I have discovered that pictures of Andrew Jackson printed on green stock go a long way towards resolving such conflicts.

Old 01-20-2008, 06:11 PM   #10
Uncle Pollo
happy cachiporra

Oddometer: 47,467
Quote:
Guys, Gals:

Will we be able to send the bikes accross the border without all the riders present? Will we have trouble with insuring them w/o the riders all there? What other issues am I missing?

Thanks,
-Pax
The temporary importation vehicle rules are simple.

1 - only one vehicle per person

2 - person that will be operating the vehicle must be present at the border when importing the vehicle as a tourist

3 - only that person can operate the vehicle

So ... to be on the safe side.

Since there is a number of people in your group, and "loaning" vehicles are not permited, you can "rent" the vehicle to one of the members ... but that person must be driving the vehicle at all times (the risk of not doing so, I would not take). So in order to trailer bikes, you must have a designated driver - operator - importer of the towing vehicle and the bike riders must be present at the border at the time of importation. Trailer and truck (for example) must be under one person's name ... and that person has his/her quota of imported vehicles filled. The motorcycle riders will fill their quota of imported vehicles (1 per person) as for they want to ride.

So ... even if it is your truck, and your bike, you cannot import both. In all likelyness you will have to do a "rental" contract and a notarized letter of authorization for that person to import (easy) for importing that vehicle and using it in mexico, but the catch is that you SHOULD not be driving it (emergencies have to be real emergencies ... capisce?)

So ... If you want to cross the border trailering 4 bikes, you actually need 5 people ... one for importing the truck and 4 for importing their corresponding bikes.

Is that clear now?

Alejo
Uncle Pollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 06:13 PM   #11
Uncle Pollo
happy cachiporra

Quote:
Pelon:

It is likely I will call upon you. In planning the trip I believe we are prepared for delays and additional "costs" at the borders. Never having done this before our major concern is that I get on a plane and we can't get the bikes down there which is a major part of the trip. Thanks again for the offer!

-Pax
Border costs

It is about 50 bucks for your tourist visa and you temporary importation permit.

In most cases it is for 6 months, but I remind you that you cannot forget to cancel the importation permit or your visa while exiting mexico; they keep really good records of that. Mexico is the most efficient and sofisticated border south of Rio Grande till Panama.
Old 01-20-2008, 06:21 PM   #12
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Alejo
The temporary importation vehicle rules are simple.

1 - only one vehicle per person.....
Don, I've not done it myself but have read about people putting both a truck and bike (2 vehicles, same owner) on one Temp Permit.
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 07:49 PM   #13
Uncle Pollo
happy cachiporra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rider
Don, I've not done it myself but have read about people putting both a truck and bike (2 vehicles, same owner) on one Temp Permit.
I know of a person that have crossed 4 vehicles in one shot doing it online, but that was one time occurrance.

Custom Van - Trailer - Ural - 650gs

I've seen it in person, but i would not gamble that can be done twice.
Old 01-20-2008, 07:54 PM   #14
Pax OP
shazam.

Don:

Our goal is to send one guy with 2 bikes on a trailer hauled by a truck. The truck's owner will be there. One of the bikes will be owned by the second guy. My bike will be owned by the third.

We've been told that we can give a notarized document to the guy taking the bikes through so he can take my bike, pickup the insurance and bring them down. Have you taken your bikes accross the border and have you ever done this type of thing?

-Pax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Alejo
I know of a person that have crossed 4 vehicles in one shot doing it online, but that was one time occurrance.

Custom Van - Trailer - Ural - 650gs

I've seen it in person, but i would not gamble that can be done twice.

Old 01-20-2008, 08:10 PM   #15
Uncle Pollo
happy cachiporra

Quote:
Don:

Our goal is to send one guy with 2 bikes on a trailer hauled by a truck. The truck's owner will be there. One of the bikes will be owned by the second guy. My bike will be owned by the third.

We've been told that we can give a notarized document to the guy taking the bikes through so he can take my bike, pickup the insurance and bring them down. Have you taken your bikes accross the border and have you ever done this type of thing?

-Pax
The mexican regulations state that no vehicles can be loaned, but they must be rented. Rental are ok, but no borrowing or loaning.

I cross rental vehicles into Mexico several times a year; the vehicle must be "rented" ... cannot be "loaned" or just "authorized" for use.

It is not hard to do ... make a "contract" on a nice form specifying the lenght of time of the contract, daily rate, overall rate, all the vehicle and the person information, etc etc etc.

In the last 8 weeks I did paperwork for my own truck , a friends truck, 24 motorcycles including rented and privatelly owned motorcycles for crossing from Panama, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Honduras, Guatemala, and finally Mexico.

26 vehicles in one day ... and again ... some privatelly owned and some rented.

In the last year I have crossed with at least 6 rented vehicles and helped with the paperwork of at least a 12 rented and own bikes.

In one opportunity one of my coworkers had to "sell" the truck to a customer. He forgot to check out his bike out of the border 11 years ago, and yes ... it was still on record.

Lonerider is right about multiple vehicle crossing, but I personally would not bet on it.

Just my .02 cents