Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2008, 04:18 PM   #46
scarysharkface
30-125

Oddometer: 12,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandiegoland
Very Cool!!!!

but... Not all rims are created equal...

I would test it with your preferred tire and rim before depending on this working smoothly in the field.

I guess this is an interesting exercise and all (in the shop spoons and Windex is faster)... but the point to me is it really illustrates the relationship of the bead to the rim -- don't pit them against each other! You see most from the strap technique that the tire doesn't need a ton of leverage to get mounted if you don't fight with the bead!!
Doesn't Windex contain ammonia? Isn't that a really bad thing to have near bare metal?

The road to Hell is paved...
Save $5 on a Smugmug subscription when you use my coupon:
yBr7OofIPuOP6
KLR takes a circular route to Big Bend '13 http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=887449
scarysharkface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 04:39 PM   #47
sandiegoland
Adventure Boy®

Oddometer: 1,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarysharkface
Doesn't Windex contain ammonia? Isn't that a really bad thing to have near bare metal?
It contains just trace amounts of ammonia to provide an odor to the formula. It's not an ammonia cleaning product, but I'm certainly open ears to anyone who can attest firsthand to damage from its use.
sandiegoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 05:12 PM   #48
Poolside OP
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,685

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWBoarder
Poolside, I figured out your trick.

17" Ninja rim and 18" TOURANCE....

I love innovative thinking like this.

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 06:46 PM   #49
NWBoarder
Whitmeister

Oddometer: 1,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandiegoland
It contains just trace amounts of ammonia to provide an odor to the formula. It's not an ammonia cleaning product, but I'm certainly open ears to anyone who can attest firsthand to damage from its use.
Not sure about the issues with amoinia, but I have had concerns with putting a water based liquid inside a spoked wheel. I don't need to promote corrosion in there.

What about WD40? I learned to use WD40 as a lube for tire mounting, a long time ago. An added benifit is that once it dries out, it helps to adhere the rubber to the rim. Which can be good, and bad - Mostly good.

I even used WD40 to mount hand grips once, however I prefer hair spray.

NWBoarder screwed with this post 01-16-2008 at 11:11 PM
NWBoarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 02:55 AM   #50
DucatiPete
In denial

Oddometer: 162
rubber mallet & soapy water

In the shop I just use a rubber mallet & some diluted diswashing detergent. Tyre levers are for getting the old rubber off and when I don't have a hammer when I'm out bush.
Simple method for a simple guy.
1973 R75/5 - Black Beauty - love @ 1st ride
1972 Ducati Sport - must look at the 'ol girl again soon
DucatiPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 02:59 AM   #51
DucatiPete
In denial

Oddometer: 162
done it with boots too

If you really get stuck: get the new rubber nice an' warm and you can kick it on with standard-sized workboots.
1973 R75/5 - Black Beauty - love @ 1st ride
1972 Ducati Sport - must look at the 'ol girl again soon
DucatiPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 10:32 PM   #52
Bags
recovering masshole

Oddometer: 48
barefoot wrench

My buddy and I were changing a tubed tire in the stix in India once, using a tire-iron and those braces that hook into the spokes (Enfield Bullet) when some barefoot laborers welding on a bridge near the military checkpoint we crapped out near were working (long story) came over and waved us away. Then one of em jumped up on the tire and "thumphk!" mounted it in under a second with his fuckin' feet!

Did a good job too...
Old 02-19-2008, 06:01 PM   #53
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,341
I don't know about windex. I've not had a problem with it. But, I'll tell you what I'll not use again. Simple green. It welded the tire to the rim on my KLR / Avon Gripster installment years ago. Was just too lazy to reach a bit farther for something better.
Thanks for the thread on the straps. What I love about this place. All kinds of new ideas. And, who knows when you may need them.

A '00 KLR 650 37,000 miles, A '07 1250S 75,000 actual, A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 73,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 06:31 AM   #54
drmax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 327
Lc4

anyone tried this on a rear "tubed" tire yet? seems if you placed tube inside 1st, then maybe a small amount of air to give the tube some form, then strapped it, it'd work ok...unsure.
New street tires arriving thursday. thx
drmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 04:32 PM   #55
Poolside OP
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,685

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmax
anyone tried this on a rear "tubed" tire yet? seems if you placed tube inside 1st, then maybe a small amount of air to give the tube some form, then strapped it, it'd work ok...unsure.
Yes it works just like you described, very little (almost no) air in the tube. Hold the valve stem in place by pinching the stem between the tire beads at the final strap tightening. If you foresee a problem fishing the valve stem through the wheel, try this. After getting the tire over the wheel, fish the stem out through the stem hole in the wheel using a piece of threaded rod screwed into the internal valve threads. Acourse to use that trick the valve must be removed. Accomplish that by removing the stem valve as the last step after tightening the straps.

It also works with rim locks. Cut down the thread length on the rim lock to the minimum. Grind two wrench flats, or use a rim lock with a removable thread and replace the thread with a hex socket set screw. Crossdrill the wrench flats (or hex socket) and thread a piece of safety wire through.

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 12:26 PM   #56
drmax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolside

Yes it works just like you described, very little (almost no) air in the tube. Hold the valve stem in place by pinching the stem between the tire beads at the final strap tightening. If you foresee a problem fishing the valve stem through the wheel, try this. After getting the tire over the wheel, fish the stem out through the stem hole in the wheel using a piece of threaded rod screwed into the internal valve threads. Acourse to use that trick the valve must be removed. Accomplish that by removing the stem valve as the last step after tightening the straps.

It also works with rim locks. Cut down the thread length on the rim lock to the minimum. Grind two wrench flats, or use a rim lock with a removable thread and replace the thread with a hex socket set screw. Crossdrill the wrench flats (or hex socket) and thread a piece of safety wire through.
ok slick. will try this job on the BT45 as I received it yesterday. have my 8 straps. i have a tube setup. found a bolt for valve stem.
will take some pics and post them when i get around to it. dm
ps. wish i could include audio as it would be colorful, i'm sure
drmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 12:39 PM   #57
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bags
My buddy and I were changing a tubed tire in the stix in India once, using a tire-iron and those braces that hook into the spokes (Enfield Bullet) when some barefoot laborers welding on a bridge near the military checkpoint we crapped out near were working (long story) came over and waved us away. Then one of em jumped up on the tire and "thumphk!" mounted it in under a second with his fuckin' feet!

Did a good job too...
Live and learn, they say!

I like the dismount method - get to use my Sawzall!

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 09:17 PM   #58
relayda
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
Yay using the straps worked out great. I used only 6 straps. Mounting a tubed 140/70/18 on a 3.5" wide rim. The trick is to insert the tube with the valve sticking out so you can insert the valve first thru rim and secure it with a nut to prevent it from sliding back out. I used a little soapy water and a rubber mallet as my tire was cold and stiff. No real effort needed and it took about 5 minutes. Tire straps would probably work for field use, but you would need at least 1/4" wide ones or they don't hold. ...well not the cheapies I had. I did have two 3/8" wide straps and they held...but I only had two. Thanks Poolside.
relayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 09:43 AM   #59
jdaniels
n00b

Oddometer: 2
duct tape

I don't have that many straps.I wonder if I could just use one strap to bring the beads together and wrap duct tape at that point and then repeat the process moving the strap each time untill the 8 pieces of duct tape were holding the beads securely.I have a big box of duct tape from a yard sale,must be fifty rolls.
jdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 10:58 AM   #60
Bike4Fun
Smooth IS Fast

Oddometer: 1,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdaniels
I don't have that many straps.I wonder if I could just use one strap to bring the beads together and wrap duct tape at that point and then repeat the process moving the strap each time untill the 8 pieces of duct tape were holding the beads securely.I have a big box of duct tape from a yard sale,must be fifty rolls.
Interesting idea but how are you going to remove the duct tape once the tire is mounted?
Bike4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote