Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2008, 08:10 PM   #1
The 314559 OP
Erdem Yucel

Oddometer: 29
TomTom and Google Maps

Has anyone heard or tried this?
TomTom teams-up with Google
It says that you can create routes and send it to TomTom device using Google Maps. Here I quote:
Not only addresses, but also Points of Interest (including all detail data) and complete routes can be transferred."
If this is true it finalizes my quest for the right GPS... I know Garmin can partially do this (the route planning through Google Earth) but only on a PC. I'm a Mac user and have been waiting for Garmin to come-up with the compatible software.
The 314559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 10:18 PM   #2
JR356
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,493
Hi,

Might want to move over to"layin down tracks'
Thats the GPS forum.

JR356
JR356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 10:20 PM   #3
The 314559 OP
Erdem Yucel

Oddometer: 29
OK. Thanks.
No wonder the search did not return any results.

The 314559 screwed with this post 01-07-2008 at 10:29 PM
The 314559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 03:07 AM   #4
PhilSpace
The Gov

Oddometer: 35,151
Done.

I've been following this, and I can see where it would be cool for cages and general navigation, but as a tool for motorcycle ride planning, I just don't see it. I don't think anybody uses Google Maps for trip planning, or customizing a route. I still go out of my way to not find the fastest or easiest route, but instead the most twisty routes or back road only routes.

The best feature I have seen on any GPS in the last month or so, is the last firmware update for the zumo where they added the new avoid for interstates - now that's a motorcycling feature.
PhilSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 02:01 PM   #5
Hi_Fi_Guy
Teutonic Terror

Oddometer: 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilSpace
The best feature I have seen on any GPS in the last month or so, is the last firmware update for the zumo where they added the new avoid for interstates - now that's a motorcycling feature.
Yep, Google maps has offered this feature for a while now. Along with multi-POI trip planning, and the ability to drag and drop the path of your route in real time to nudge the route from one road to another. I've used online maps as my main route planning services for years (AAA's online TripTik and Google maps).

The ability to integrate this with a GPS unit should surely be a boon to TomTom. I have no experience with MapSource as I've been holding out for Garmin to finally live up to their promise of Mac support so I don't know how it compares to Google Maps functionality. If the Google/TomTom solution works well I may be persuaded to swing toward that solution since Garmin seems to be asleep at the wheel.

ADV relay rider: Arizona, California, Nevada
Hi_Fi_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 12:18 AM   #6
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilSpace
I don't think anybody uses Google Maps for trip planning, or customizing a route. I still go out of my way to not find the fastest or easiest route, but instead the most twisty routes or back road only routes.
Hold on there. I use Google Maps almost exclusively to map my trips, based entirely on that I can drag and drop my route wherever I want. Google Maps has an "Avoid Highways" option, and additionally, you can simply drag your route over whatever roads you think look cool.

It's the best way so far I've found to set up a route to take the twisties.

The Tom-Tom integration looks nice... but there's been some workarounds to send Google Maps routes to GPS for quite a while. I've been using Google Maps to create GPS routes for my 2610 for six months or so.

http://bevhoward.com/G2WPT.htm

It's a little tedious, but once you do it a few times, it's really simple, especially considering the great functionality of Google Maps.

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 03:45 AM   #7
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,738
Thanks for the link, Jamie. Interesting for the technologically advanced, but not for the feint of heart. Shit, we have people coming into the forum who can't figure out how to set a waypoint on their GPS, this procedure would make their head explode.

I'll have to look at it some more to see if there are any advantages over using Mapsource with a Garmin. But in the mean time, I'm going riding!

Dave

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 04:11 AM   #8
bombarde
DL650AK7 - K75

Oddometer: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by The 314559
Has anyone heard or tried this?
I only know one person with a TomTom and he's tried to get this working a couple of times. So far, no good. It's not ready for prime time.

And yeah, he knows how to set waypoints...
bombarde is online now   Reply With Quote