Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2010, 06:17 AM   #226
drhach
gorillamanufacturing.com

Oddometer: 2,268
That '78 is a beauty. I have two set of those laced rims in my garage. I'm just waiting until tire replacement time comes around.
drhach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 02:41 AM   #227
bigwillystyle302
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Wicked My GSX400

Hey guys..... Just thought i'd throw a pic or two of my GSX 400 FWS up here. I have only just acquired it so its not registered yet. But have taken it for a few little sneaky rides and she goes well!!! Just fitted some LED indicators and a new battery. Hope you guys like it. But ofcorse none of the stinken frikken pics will upload..... they are all under 145 kb whats the go??? Any help or advice????

bigwillystyle302 screwed with this post 05-15-2010 at 03:03 AM
bigwillystyle302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 07:23 PM   #228
HWSNBN
Banned

Oddometer: 2,897
Who Needs Parts

FREE, get this thing off my driveway

Rare!
HWSNBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 07:48 PM   #229
Ed Muggles
oh, the other left

Oddometer: 250
my first bike was a GSX 250... big heavy and had some serious problems... even after a rebuild. the engine was still fuck at a cost to me of 2000 in repairs

her name was rachel she was a tempremental red head... work when she wanted, often had to be pushed to go anywhere(need to be bump started every second time), shed hezitate at point of commitment (mid corner the carbswould gum up you'd lose power and then awith pop it would be back)
and once a month she was out of order.. ( always in the shop)

learnt a valuble lesson dont buy lemons...
Ed Muggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 05:40 AM   #230
advpro
Banned

Oddometer: 62
i'm working on buying this one from its 70+ year old second owner...

advpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 09:20 AM   #231
Otis the Sasquatch
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by HWSNBN
It always cracked me up that they put a Gear Indicator on that thing. Shoulda' just said "Slow" & "Slower".

Fact is, I like roads. I like to move.
Harry Truman
Otis the Sasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 01:36 PM   #232
Yakima
Whee! Wee Strom

Oddometer: 289
My first and only bike is a 74 two stroke Suzuki GT250 upon which I'm doing some serious riding/distance.
Very interested in the GS850G and GS1000GT, with one main concern: my little GT250 is rough, for many reasons. Does the nominally newer GS series A) ride more comfortably and B) handle more tightly?
or, would you ride 500-700 miles a day on either?
curious...
Yakima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 06:12 PM   #233
gnsrfn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
My first Suzuki

I had never owned a Suzuki before I got this one last fall. I had been without a bike for several years and was missing riding a lot. I saw this one for sale along the road for $600 and figured it would be hard to go wrong for that price. Of course it needed some minor work. I have slowly fixed the minor oil leaks and replaced the cables as they gave out. The engine is amazingly clean on the inside and runs like crazy! I sanded it down to bare metal one weekend and put a decent coat of paint on it instead of the horrible spray can gray it was when I brought it home. (as of this picture it was still waiting for decals) I am definitely impressed with the Suzuki's now and would be happy to bring another one home in the future for my wife to learn on. Any advice for a good older starter bike for her?
gnsrfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 06:25 PM   #234
Cogswell
Spudly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by advpro

That bike has some fancy wheels (PM) and front brakes on it from back in the day. Carbs look kind of suspicious too.

Who knows what lurks inside.

Mike
The good thing is, your damn motor can't read. If it says oil on the container, it's pretty much OK to dump in there.... ED.
Cogswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 06:42 PM   #235
beeper
Badger tickler

Oddometer: 774
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnsrfn

I had never owned a Suzuki before I got this one last fall. I had been without a bike for several years and was missing riding a lot. I saw this one for sale along the road for $600 and figured it would be hard to go wrong for that price. Of course it needed some minor work. I have slowly fixed the minor oil leaks and replaced the cables as they gave out. The engine is amazingly clean on the inside and runs like crazy! I sanded it down to bare metal one weekend and put a decent coat of paint on it instead of the horrible spray can gray it was when I brought it home. (as of this picture it was still waiting for decals) I am definitely impressed with the Suzuki's now and would be happy to bring another one home in the future for my wife to learn on. Any advice for a good older starter bike for her?

Nice!

'89 and newer GS 500 is a great starter bike, easy handling light weight with a decent twin engine.
For a more "vintage" style bike the mid to late '70's GS 550 is another one to look into.
beeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 06:07 AM   #236
drhach
gorillamanufacturing.com

Oddometer: 2,268
You wouldn't happen to be in Wisconsin would you? There's a guy in Kenosha with a bike just like that.

Quote:

drhach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 08:09 AM   #237
Billyboy
GS'er (The Suzuki kind)

Oddometer: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogswell
That bike has some fancy wheels (PM) and front brakes on it from back in the day. Carbs look kind of suspicious too.

Who knows what lurks inside.

Mike
Yep. PM wheels, those flatslides aren't original. Oil cooler.
I'm a little concerned about how far those forks are compressed. Probably got airless progressives in them.

"That licks balls. But I can't just stand around all day getting my balls licked. I've got shit to do!"
Billyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 11:23 AM   #238
advpro
Banned

Oddometer: 62
heres the run down. bought the bike from the 72 year old second owner who rode it literally once or twice a year. i spotted it at my friends shop (the earlier cell phone pics). the old boy took it to the shop because it would not start and he thought the carbs were clogged. got the owners number and after about two weeks, took possession of it.
got it home, took the carbs off, and they were immaculate along with the tank. just a tad bit dirty pilots. the bike did have a starting problem but it turned out to be electricial.
after dicking with it myself for a week trying to find the source to no avail, i took it to a friends house who is a bit of an electrical wiz. i pulled off the tank and the first thing he says is "whats this dyna box above the carbs hooked to the coils"? well its a rev limiter, it cuts power to the coils at a specific rpm. he disconnects it from the coils and says "try it now". fired right up and has since, DUH!
1134 kit, falicon balanced/welded crank, yosh cams, carrillo rods, v&h head, orient express gearbox, 36mm flat slides, performance machine wheels and calipers, kerker exhaust, more. have all receipts for all parts/work done.
here she is all tarted up....

advpro screwed with this post 06-29-2010 at 11:34 AM
advpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 11:32 AM   #239
Billyboy
GS'er (The Suzuki kind)

Oddometer: 170
Quote:
heres the run down. bought the bike from the 72 year old second owner who rode it literally once or twice a year. i spotted it at my friends shop (the earlier cell phone pics). the old boy took it to the shop because it would not start and he thought the carbs were clogged. got the owners number and after about two weeks, took possession of it.
got it home, took the carbs off, and they were immaculate along with the tank. just a tad bit dirty pilots. the bike did have a starting problem but it turned out to be electricial.
after dicking with it myself for a week trying to find the source to no avail, i took it to a friends house who is a bit of an electrical wiz. i pulled off the tank and the first thing he says is "whats this dyna box above the carbs hooked to the coils"? well its a rev limiter, it cuts power to the coils at a specific rpm. he disconnects it from the coils and says "try it now". fired right up and has since, DUH!
1134 kit, falicon balanced/welded crank, yosh cams, carrillo rods, v&h head, orient express gearbox, 36mm flat slides, performance machine wheels and calipers, kerker exhaust, more. have all receipts for all parts/work done.
here she is all tarted up....

That is truly awesome.
I bet you darn near stole it!

"That licks balls. But I can't just stand around all day getting my balls licked. I've got shit to do!"
Billyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 11:43 AM   #240
GHO100
Crazy George

Oddometer: 987
Bit of a dead thread, but so's my work day, so bring out the paddles.....whomp....whomp....beep - beep-...

My first motorcycle was a 1980 Gs850G. Here it is, the day I picked it up:

Oddly enough, I found this goodie on CL for $350. I bought it from a dealership in early February, and got the backstory. 1 pervious owner, drove it round for a while, but brought it in to the Suz dealership the pervious summer after not having ridden for a season, and discovered the cost they wanted for the tune-up would be better spent on a new bike. So, in the back of the shop it sat, as a $350 trade in, until Feb rolls around and they needed space for new stock.

This was my first motorcycle. I learned a lot on it, including a good deal about rebuilding carbs and replacing stators and rectifiers. I did a lot of reading on the internet about whatever I could find, and had a hell of a time.

Here's a picture of me later that year at Mt. Washington. I was on my way home from a motorcycle gathering in Abbot, Maine, where I showed up with a barely working motorcycle, and got a hell of a lot of help from good people to get me back on the road home safely:

Sometime in the weeks following, I had my first motorcycle crash. I don't remember all the details, but I had a low-side under the FDR in NYC near 96th street. It had started to rain, and I was riding at a speed beyond my skills. Wrecked shoulder, but the bike was a champ. I watched it slide down the road into a jersey barrier wheelside first. Much to my disbelief, it then road up the side of the barrier and flipped 180 degrees, landing on the opposite side. In shock, I collected myself and my bike from the road, and drove to the nearest gas station before I realized how seriously screwed my shoulder was. A friend drove it home for me the following day, and I haven't ridden it since.

I had problems with the electrics on this one, and at some point told myself I'd be rebuilding the harness. I started a tear down:

Currently, the ol GS has gotten its tank, fenders, side covers, saddle bag covers and fairing repainted, but I haven't put it all back together.

It sits, quietly waiting, in my storage shed, for the time when I might have some weekends to get it back on the road. I'm currently getting demonic ideas of sidecars in my head.

So there's my story, and my GS. Good bike. Got my first PA on it, too. 98mph, according to the LEO, and on a highway exit. I think he was exaggerating, but my speedo only goes to 85 and then vibrates around like a kid on a sugar bender, so what do I know?
www.NYMSTF.org - Support NY Riders!
GHO100 is online now   Reply With Quote