ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2008, 08:13 AM   #16
soaz OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog
Damn, bro. this is turning into a real legitimate event...

I'll have to hook up with my bud from Copper State Cruisers and make it out there. Thanks for all your hard, preliminary work.
Thanks DirtyDog! It should be a lot of fun with a lot of good people to meet! See you out there.
Tim

http://fourpeakspickup.blogspot.com/
soaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 04:09 PM   #17
soaz OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Eek

If anyone wants a copy to forward to a friend, here is the flyer. Thanks for spreading the word.

Thank you Icon Vehicle Dynamics and SDHQ for supporting the clean up!
www.iconvehicledynamics.com
www.sdhqoffroad.com

soaz screwed with this post 01-25-2008 at 07:13 PM
Old 01-30-2008, 04:27 PM   #18
soaz OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I know a lot of us have an SUV, Jeep or other "non" trucks. Although piling bags of trash in the back can work, many don't want to take the risk of hurting the interior of their vehicle or just don't have the room!
If you have a hitch mounted bike rack you may have the perfect alternative. I simply looped the bag back on itself to make sure it gets a good grip and doesn't go anywhere.
Take a look:

Keep in mind that the bags will sway around back there and I don't recommend any highspeed or highway driving with this set up. It may just make the difference in carrying enough trash to make a difference though.
Old 02-04-2008, 10:17 PM   #19
soaz OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Restrooms are located at the main Four Peaks Recreation area parking lot. (On the right just after turning onto Four Peaks Rd)

TIMELINE:

8:00 AM - Set up for clean up. Clean up area team leaders arrive.

9:00 AM - Meet at clean up headquarters and start directing volunteers to target areas with team leads directing the way.

9:00 AM to 2:30 PM Clean up. (Come or go as needed. Use team leaders or meeting site for questions, problems, suggestions.)

2:00 PM to 3:00 PM - Make final trash run to dumpsters and head back to clean up headquarters.

2:00 PM to 3:15 PM - Grab a burger or snack at headquarters while they last.

3:00 PM - Prize give-aways at headquarters and a Thank YOU to all the volunteers!

Trash bags will be located at the main clean up headquarters and with the clean up area team leaders.

Be CAREFUL! Much of the trash is glass, sharp rusted metal etc. Bring and wear gloves and eye protection.

It may be cold so bring appropriate clothing. Use sunblock!

COMMUNICATION:
1. CB radio. AKA: Citizen Band. The clean up will be on channel 14.
2. FRS Radio. AKA: Store bought personal radios. (walkie talkie type). The clean up will be on channel 14.
3. 2 meter radio. AKA: Amatuer Radio. The clean up will be on channel 146.480
Old 02-05-2008, 08:57 PM   #20
soaz OP
Gnarly Adventurer

We'll be out there at location 10 helping folks get to the clean up sites all day, but here is a map just in case. Put the GPS location in and just ride until you see some yahoo standing there!

Old 02-07-2008, 10:42 AM   #21
Motomedic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,418
Well, I have never ridden 4 Peaks, having just arrived in Mesa, but I'll be there to help!

Thanks Tim for the effort to help keep our wilderness wild! (or at least clean!)

I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you. -Anthony Bourdain
Motomedic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 08:51 PM   #22
soaz OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motomedic
Well, I have never ridden 4 Peaks, having just arrived in Mesa, but I'll be there to help!

Thanks Tim for the effort to help keep our wilderness wild! (or at least clean!)
thank you sir! I appreciate it. See you out there!!!
Old 02-08-2008, 09:16 AM   #23
soaz OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thumb

http://www.azcentral.com/12news/vide...deo_index.html

Check out the video named Cleaning up the desert! For Feb 8th.
We got a little press a couple of times live this morning. Should be great for the event!
Old 02-08-2008, 10:18 AM   #24
tomshell
Former Lurker

Oddometer: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by soaz
http://www.azcentral.com/12news/vide...deo_index.html

Check out the video named Cleaning up the desert! For Feb 8th.
We got a little press a couple of times live this morning. Should be great for the event!
Nice job Tim......I think she was sweet on ya too!
North to Alaska 2008
tomshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 11:19 AM   #25
soaz OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomshell
Nice job Tim......I think she was sweet on ya too!
I'm sure my girlfriend loved it!!
Thanks Tom! I hope to see ya and catch up.

I'll be headed out in a couple hours so I'll be incomunicato. See ya up there!
Old 02-08-2008, 06:17 PM   #26
ta2rob
2 longs, 1 short, 1 long.

Oddometer: 307
I'll try to make it, but I don't know how early I'll get there. Going to trailer the XR out there due to the distance from my house. I'll bring a shovel, rake, & gloves since I'm taking the car/trailer/bike. I've never been out there, but I'm thinking of doing some dirt riding later that day after helping out with the cleanup.

Hope to see you out there JD!

Hope to see you out there Motomedic! Don't worry, I've outfitted the XR with 'flat tire' tools/supplies, just in case!

- R
ta2rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 09:10 PM   #27
DirtyDog
Lust for dust.

Oddometer: 7,448
Two dirty KLRs will be arriving sometime in the latter part of the day. glnn313 and I will be approaching 4 peaks from the north along the ridgeline from Mt. Ord and via Reno Creek and Pigeon Springs Road (unless we have issues). We'll check in via walkie talkie when we arrive or chat with somebody who looks like they know the drill.

Hopefully we'll arrive just in time to fill a few bags and have a burger...
DirtyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 09:06 AM   #28
ta2rob
2 longs, 1 short, 1 long.

Oddometer: 307
How did it go?

Sorry I missed out on the event. I had the XR loaded on the trailer, a shovel, rake, & gloves in the trunk of the car, & was on my way when disaster struck. That's right, disaster, in the from of a failed wheel bearing on the trailer. The high pitched grinding signaled me to pull over & examine the car/trailer/bike. After jacking up the trailer, not being able to spin one of the wheels without a good deal of effort, I came to the conclusion my day's plans were shot.

After about two hours, when the flatbed tow service dropped off the trailer/bike at my house, I off loaded the bike & set to work on repairing the trailer. Good thing I had a spare bearing kit & wheel bearing-rated grease on hand. At least my 'early detection' of the problem let me salvage the wheel hub.

After everything was back together on the trailer, I ate lunch & saw it was early afternoon. Standing no chance of making the cleanup, I went for a ride & explored some of my local off road trails.

I didn't see a ride report on this event, so how did it go?

- R
ta2rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 11:28 AM   #29
DirtyDog
Lust for dust.

Oddometer: 7,448
+2 on the list of no-shows. I really wanted to get there and we put forth a valiant effort. Maybe too much. We attempted the ride above and had a number of issues. (See thread for details.)

When we finally got back to the highway and passed the 4 Peaks entrance at about 530pm, we saw lots of cruisers and 4x4 folks (as well as some ADV types) exiting.

Sorry we flaked. I hope the event was overall successful.
DirtyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 02:52 PM   #30
Motomedic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,418
Well, I spent about two hours picking up bullet casings and broken glass, having arrived after the big stuff had already been removed from site 1. When I signed in at about 11:00, the first dumpster was already full and people were starting a second pile, which will fill at least one more dumpster when they pick it up! Probably about 250 people total, mostly FJ and Jeep guys. Unfortunatly, it seems I was the only ADVRider that showed! ta2rob-sorry to hear about the trailer bearing- glad I wasn't along or I probably would've had to fix that too !

I didn't see many people that called themselves shooter either, although I sure saw a lot of brass! I heard a rumor of a guy who was plinking with a .22 up a little higher that site 1, and when confronted with the fact that all of us were out there picking up after guys like him, his response included a personal attack and some profanity! I am a gun owner, and I like to shoot in the wilderness, but I pick up my brass, for fuck's sake!

I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you. -Anthony Bourdain
Motomedic is online now   Reply With Quote