ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2008, 12:29 PM   #16
SFmax

Oddometer: n/a
Seeing as you're already in Baja. I'd vote for Mexico. You'll get more interesting miles in that way. Its a long ride up to Alaska, and highway 1 isn't the most culturally rich highway in the world.

You could ship the bike up to Anchorage and start there. In that case I think it would boil down to how much time you have to travel. There arn't allot of road options in Alaska. So unless you're into camping and backpacking as side trips I think Mexico would provide a much wider array of destinations.

I'd break it down to this.
Mexico-if you don't want to ship the bike to Anchorage.
Anchorage- if you can ship and only have 2-3 weeks to see some beautiful scenery.
Mexico- if you have a month or longer.
Old 01-11-2008, 12:31 PM   #17
ExDesertDog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 831
I would start in Alaska and ride through Mexico. If I had only one place I would choose Mexico.
Old 01-11-2008, 02:11 PM   #18
damasovi OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by FotoTEX
Alaska, Alaska, Alaska. Done the ride, go do it. It is ALL good. No regrets. Which I had taken longer than a month. It is BIG place. Not an ugly mile the whole route. Awesome Ride. Grizzly bears or Bandidos???
Don't you know that bears eat people??? Bandidos only robe you, LOL

this are 2 very good trips, only wish I had more time to ride from Baja to Alakas and then to Cancun and back
damasovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 07:54 PM   #19
fataldata
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Both of these were possibilities for me this summer and it came down to..... I live in cold snowy mountains and I want to go somewhere warm this spring. I'll will probably go to Alaska in another year but because family and friends were planning a trip to Belize this spring, it's just too easy.
So I'm scouring the forums looking for stops, specifically on the gulf coastline. Hoping to camp some in scary Mexico.
fataldata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 08:50 PM   #20
hosertp
Adnauseam Adventurer

Oddometer: 244
Done the AK thing. No regrets for sure. Mexico can either be great or a disaster. I agree that you have to do both, eventually. But if I had to make the choice, AK. Just make sure that you reserve enough time to do it all especially if you don't expect to go back anytime soon. It's expensive, but at least it's safe. paul
Old 01-13-2008, 12:19 AM   #21
JoeMongo
¿Por dónde?

Oddometer: 334
Thumb Alaska or Mexico

Done (part of, impossible to do all of the sucker) Alaska. I'll be riding your neck of the desert and south to the cabo in a couple of weeks.

That said, British Columbia is sweet. Ride to Alaska in June or July. Take the Cassiar or stay home. The best part of my ride to Alaska was BC. Alaska was fantastic. BC was even better.

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
JoeMongo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 08:56 PM   #22
damasovi OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Multhaup
Done (part of, impossible to do all of the sucker) Alaska. I'll be riding your neck of the desert and south to the cabo in a couple of weeks.

That said, British Columbia is sweet. Ride to Alaska in June or July. Take the Cassiar or stay home. The best part of my ride to Alaska was BC. Alaska was fantastic. BC was even better.
So when are you coming?? maybe a couple of cervezas to thank you properly

Damasovi
Old 01-14-2008, 08:59 PM   #23
damasovi OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hosertp
Done the AK thing. No regrets for sure. Mexico can either be great or a disaster. It's expensive, but at least it's safe. paul
These are the 2 worries I have, one is to be confuse for a gringo and be robe just 'cause I am a gringo and second not having enough time or MONEY to do Alaska. THe gringo thing I can handle with my good spanish and telling them a thing or two about Hugo Sanchez and the fuc**g PRI, but the cost to do Alakas may be a little to big, ok when you plan you save, BUT with a house to be build an infant and wife, money is not as loose as when I was single.

Any way I got time for what ever... thank you for posting
Damasovi
Old 01-14-2008, 09:04 PM   #24
DantesDame
Ridin' Fool

Oddometer: 1,741
I've been to both and I enjoyed them both. I would like to go back to both, however I feel that Mexico offers much more variety. Alaska is beautiful; don't get me wrong. But there's a lot more to see in Mexico...

Alaska:
http://www.dantesdame.com/04alaska.htm

Mexico:
http://www.dantesdame.com/05mexico.htm

http://www.dantesdame.com/ <--- Rides! Rides! Rides!!
DantesDame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 09:05 AM   #25
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,338
Mexico

Okay, I've never been to Alaska. But, I'd rater be warm, and walk through the streets of rural Mexico in search of a cold Sol, than swatting the Alaska State bird. Have enough or them rascles in Canada. Besides, I've flown the north so long, i'm considering removing the "N" from my comapass! I've been to Mexico a couple of times....but only as a "tourist", and I'd like to see the things that aren't in the prochures. Wouldn't mind hooking up with someone from Mexico and enjoying a tour with someone who knows the language and the real estate.
Fall of '09?
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 08:12 PM   #26
Spicy McHaggis
Darth Peach's cracker...

Oddometer: 3,789
Come to Fairbanks during a July or August day...85-90F is pretty warm, IMHO. And you can search for an ice cold Alaskan Amber, while you are at it!

Yeah okay, you win on the 'skeeter thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor
Okay, I've never been to Alaska. But, I'd rater be warm, and walk through the streets of rural Mexico in search of a cold Sol, than swatting the Alaska State bird. Have enough or them rascles in Canada. Besides, I've flown the north so long, i'm considering removing the "N" from my comapass! I've been to Mexico a couple of times....but only as a "tourist", and I'd like to see the things that aren't in the prochures. Wouldn't mind hooking up with someone from Mexico and enjoying a tour with someone who knows the language and the real estate.
Fall of '09?
Old 01-17-2008, 01:55 AM   #27
thetourist
Just passing thru

Oddometer: 3,808
I have loved my trips to Alaska, but Mexico is a great motorcycle destination. For us gringos It's foreign/exotic. Has a wonderful culture, warm people and beautiful cities. But, mostly, the roads are fantastic on a bike. Endless twisty roads thru the mountains, ending in quaint villages or empty beaches.

The main roads to Alaska would be interesting if 100mph+ were legal. It is a super wide straight hwy in the tradition of main US hwys. In Alaska itself the hwys deteriorate a bit and are more fun. The first time I went north the road was still twisty and had some gravel. I thoroghly enjoyed the trip, a grand adventure. Those days are long gone. I even canceled plans for the Alcan Rally this winter and have decided to visit Mexico again. I truly love the far north in winter, but it is so far and so boring to get there. Of course I must qualify this by saying that I live in Idaho and mountains are on the horizon. Glacier and Yellowstone and the Canadian Rockies are just over the hill. Ah, but, Atigun Pass is sublime, and the ridge road on the continental divide in NW Territories is very cool.

So go where you are drawn. That is the fun of it all.
thetourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 05:46 AM   #28
Exurban
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 589
Quote:
Originally Posted by FotoTEX
Grizzly bears or Bandidos???
If you give the grizzly your wallet it's still going to kill you.
Exurban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 11:32 AM   #29
JoeMongo
¿Por dónde?

Oddometer: 334
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by damasovi
So when are you coming?? maybe a couple of cervezas to thank you properly

Damasovi
That would be muy bueno! I think we'll pass through Ensenada in mid February. I'll drop you a PM once the date firms up.

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
JoeMongo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 04:22 PM   #30
d0gWateR
Goat Stuntaz DSMC

Oddometer: 463
Mexico!

I'm assuming you are native Mexican, so the lure of a new cultural experience in Mexico is not the purpose of the trip - fun travel on a motorcycle is the purpose.

I think you'd probably get the biggest kick out of Alaska though. It offers the most contrast for you.

I have done both. I would go to Mexico, but I live in BC (British Columbia, not Baja California). I will catch mucho mierda for this, but I have been to Alaska, and I don't quite "get it" like some of the faithful do. YMMV.

Cambodia 2013 Blog
d0gWateR is offline   Reply With Quote