User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2008, 02:46 PM   #1
roc104 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 291
Transamerica Trail: NV - CO

I was thinking of heading out of Reno and going to WestFest '08 in Lake City, CO via the TAT...spend a day there, maybe two, bum all the beer and parts I could, then turn around and head back to Reno.

Had a couple concerns pop into my head as I daydreamed about this...

Going East on the Tramsam trail would be opposite of Sam's roll charts. I have a 60csx w/ Topo, and plan to make Routes for each state...but I was hoping to hear from some people who have done the trail chime in about how helpful they feel the charts were vs GPS. I was thinking about reverse engineering them for the trip east...but that would be a lot of work and I lazy.

Leaving first week of August, probably could not pick a hotter time of the year. Water consumption and survival concerns creep into my head for NV and UT specifically. I currently have no prospective riding partners.

This is obviously still in the dreaming mode, but I didnít think it would hurt to get some opinions and maybe see if anyone was thinking about doing something similar.
roc104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 05:35 PM   #2
gaspipe
Wandering Soul

Oddometer: 11,340
I'd take the time to program the routes via GPS for your 60CSX. They'd easily fit in it, and it'd not hard to do from Sam's maps.

I wouldn't try to autoroute it, as there are places where the roads are discontinuous in CS and Navigator, and the GPS will route you a different way than you intended.

Hair of the dog....
gaspipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 07:13 PM   #3
roc104 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspipe
I'd take the time to program the routes via GPS for your 60CSX. They'd easily fit in it, and it'd not hard to do from Sam's maps.

I wouldn't try to autoroute it, as there are places where the roads are discontinuous in CS and Navigator, and the GPS will route you a different way than you intended.
Gaspipe, I hold you and your ride report of the TAT responsible for my obsession to do it. Thanks for writing it up.

I am manually inputting the route turn for turn, so I specifically didnít have to rely on the auto routing function...I have been reading about the problems that creates.

I just got the 60csx and so far I canít figure out how to reduce the marker size at each route point so the screen is less cluttered. Anyone know how to do this?
Old 01-11-2008, 12:40 AM   #4
JimC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by roc104
I am manually inputting the route turn for turn, so I specifically didnít have to rely on the auto routing function...I have been reading about the problems that creates.

I just got the 60csx and so far I canít figure out how to reduce the marker size at each route point so the screen is less cluttered. Anyone know how to do this?
What Gaspipe was refering to was drawing tracks in Mapsource, and then transferring them to the 60CSx. If you draw tracks there are no markers for route points and no screen clutter. You are creating routes not tracks. You do NOT want to do this.

Go to the Tools menu in mapsouce, select the Track Draw option and start drawing your track. You can have 500 track points in a single track and can have 20 saved tracks on your 60CSx. I did the entire Western TAT last year and managed to fit Colorado, Utah, Nevada and Oregon into 18 tracks of 500 track points each. These tracks worked extremely well and I did not feel we needed any more detail than we had.

If you are using route points you are creating routes, you do not want to do this.

Jim in Sacramento
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 06:03 AM   #5
Jeff@TheQuadShop
TAT survivor

Oddometer: 4,511
JimC is right, its much less complicated to use the track draw tool (make sure you have the latest version of Mapsource) when laying out the route. I rode the AR to UT sections this past summer using tracks and it worked perfectly. Use waypoints to mark gas stations, food and motels.
KY state Vet A offroad champion
TAT, KAT and TWVT survivor
Jeff@TheQuadShop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 09:35 AM   #6
roc104 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thank you both for the info. I am glad I didnt get too far with making routes.