User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2009, 04:58 PM   #106
Stravoxylo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 289
great report. Looks like you had a great trip
I traveled many of the same roads in August 2007, and the coastal roads from Montenegro up to Italy are amazing.
Stravoxylo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 09:49 PM   #107
noahr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 318
Finally cut together a video.

noahr screwed with this post 05-24-2009 at 10:37 PM
noahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 08:48 AM   #108
johnnywad
Out to Lunch

Oddometer: 207
Thumb Video

Loved your choice of music

Quote:
Originally Posted by noahr
Finally cut together a video.

GREAT VIDEO!
Adventure of a life time............
Old 05-25-2009, 09:41 AM   #109
Natnewt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 485
sweet report man. Your from canada but the bikes are plated with euro huge plates? Whats the deal with that? do they make you get a resident plate or ....? I am planning a similar trip so I'm trying to gather as much info such as the cost to ship the bikes to london, the paperwork aspect of things, plating insurance etc etc
Natnewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 11:43 AM   #110
FOXedupONE
Momafox can I ride?

Oddometer: 2,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnewt
Your from canada but the bikes are plated with euro huge plates? Whats the deal with that? do they make you get a resident plate or ....? I am planning a similar trip so I'm trying to gather as much info such as the cost to ship the bikes to london, the paperwork aspect of things, plating insurance etc etc
Cool trip you guys took, for sure.

I did a similar but solo trip in Europe in 2003. I didn't know anyone crazy enough to do a sportbike tour of Europe all summer with me back then so still had an awsome time, but it looks like it's fun to do with a buddy. If you get an itch to go ride motorcycles around Europe you need to just go do it. It is some of the most amazing experiences if you're into that sort of thing of laying out a map and riding around to different countries and checking things and different people out for a number of weeks at the least. Anyway this RR is inspiring me to revisit those pictures on my old lacie hard drive and put together a RR that doesen't incriminate me.

To answer your question Nat I think they bought bikes in England since they were living there. But yes you can ship your bike and ride it in Europe. Because red tape is much easier to ship from Canada,I rode up there and left from Montreal you just get a cargo plane ticket for your bike that they strap to a container and get on the same flight if you want. You just need to drop your bike off 48 or 24 hours before I forget so you do need to hole up in an airport hotel before the flight. Also you just have less then a gallon of gas in the tank and disconect your battery, that's it. I flew to frankfurt because Germans would have a smooth running cargo terminal I figured and plus I wanted to get out there and be going 150mph legally within 2 hours of getting off the plane, but you can fly anywhere. I flew back from Gatwick to Toronto. Also the plates you just keep your own plates. You can have US plates in Europe for up to 6 months with the proper green card insurance. Believe me pull up into a little town in Poland with plates that say like mine did Florida "the sunshine state" and it causes quite a stir and amazement at how the hell you made it to their village and why?

The people who arrange all this and get all the documents in order is http://www.motorcycleexpress.com/ based out of LI NY,they're top notch. It cost me about $1000 each way for the bike plane ticket but that was back then. And the insurance ,liability only, was a few hundred for like 4 months May-Aug. It's easier to do than I think many people realize. You do have to have the time of course, if you're gonna ship your bike all the way over there you might as well get full use of that by being over there for as long as you can.
FOXedupONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 12:09 PM   #111
Dutch J
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Nice one!

hmm, should do something like that before starting my working life....
Dutch J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 02:14 PM   #112
KLXmcrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
Great ride report.Just read the entire report today,great pics,video should get an Oscar ...Been to some of those cities(on a tour bus )with my entire fam when my oldest grad from H.S..Expensive trip for fam of 6.Anyway thanks for sharing your trip,pics,video.The bonus pics recently
posted caught my attention...David
KLXmcrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 09:40 AM   #113
noahr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnewt
sweet report man. Your from canada but the bikes are plated with euro huge plates? Whats the deal with that? do they make you get a resident plate or ....? I am planning a similar trip so I'm trying to gather as much info such as the cost to ship the bikes to london, the paperwork aspect of things, plating insurance etc etc
I was living in London at the time so I bought a bike there and sold it when I left. If I were to do this trip or a similar one again i'd still not bother shipping a bike over though. The cost of shipping the bike is going to be at least $2500 round trip, instead of doing that (this is what my friend did that I took the trip with, he wasn't living in England) research a few bikes that you'd want to buy on the internet in your departure town, call them up and narrow the bikes you want to a few. Tell them what you're planning on doing and ask if you can use there mailing address for insurance if you buy a bike from them...this is key...as a foreigner you can insure a bike in the UK (the insurance is good for all of Europe too) but you need a mailing address. Fly in a few day early and pick up your bike and start your trip! What we did was when the trip was coming to a close...around two weeks before we were done, we put the bikes on ebay with an auction finishing date of when we arriving back in London. My friend got a good deal on the bike in the first place and only lost about $750 on the sale of it! Plus if you fall in love with the bike you can always ship it back!

noahr screwed with this post 05-26-2009 at 09:47 AM
noahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 10:17 AM   #114
WilderRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,767
Great video. I really need to do a trip like that someday.