Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2008, 03:28 PM   #46
Hair
Outside the boxer

Oddometer: 13,724
Thanks I am in the process of doing that now.
HMS racing was adding Honda XR400R coolers to their bergs.
I bought Peter's last filter converted cap. I also bought an XR400R cooler off of Ebay.
I hope to start mounting this weekend. I've put about 10 hours on the berg. I really like this bike. I use to ride a 525. The two bikes are close, The berg pulls harder. And it really show it's stuff on the more open trails.

This is a great thread.
Old 02-28-2008, 05:11 PM   #47
mitchalison
Mitch

Oddometer: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSpot 1200
who makes the rear tank on that husaberg, its
a stunning looking machine, and I would like one of these rear tanks.
thanx
jan
Looks like a 'Bum Tank', same one I've got. I bought mine at Peter Stevens in Melbourne, but I've also seen them at Motorcycle Accessories in Sydney.
Old 03-15-2008, 08:16 PM   #48
ruliram
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafariBerg
Used a clarke tank at front, yes it holds 17L stock, I am going to try and blow it out another couple of litres, it should get close to 20L I reckon

a nomad at rear top..yes it holds 5.8L, I'm not going to use it this year, instead will use the Husaberg underseat sub-tank which holds 3L

.and the side one? The side one is a standard Husaberg Acerbis accessory, it holds 5.5L

Did u do anyother modifications besides add the navigation systems...i mean in the motor, none, it was totatly stock, just added the Akrapovic slip-on muffler and changed the jetting. I would keeep it stock for any rallye event. The main thing I did was run Motul 300V 15-50W double ester oil. This is really important and is a key to making it last.

suspensions?...yes went to .46 on the front springs and 92 on the rear spring and diallled it in re sags etc
Safariberg, thanks for your answers, just got one quick left, where do i find the 5.5L Husaberg side tank, ive been to the Berg dealer here and they dont know about it, they have the under seat one, but not the side one, do you have a part number of it?...or anywebsite through i can get it?

Thankss
ruliram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 02:56 AM   #49
SafariBerg OP
Oz Safari Addict

Oddometer: 2,957
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruliram
Safariberg, thanks for your answers, just got one quick left, where do i find the 5.5L Husaberg side tank, ive been to the Berg dealer here and they dont know about it, they have the under seat one, but not the side one, do you have a part number of it?...or anywebsite through i can get it?

Thankss
Husaberg Side Tank 5.5L Part Number: 39004201

I just ordered from my local dealer.
Old 03-29-2008, 06:25 PM   #50
scotsmun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 373
Thanks for the info safariberg, i am looking to do the wild boar this year and am cosidering using my '06 550. This will be my first taste of rallye riding so it seems a good starting point. This thread has been a great help, thanks.
Old 03-29-2008, 07:00 PM   #51
SteveRed
Adventure Mojo

Oddometer: 2,681
I'm a complete n00b when it comes to setting up a rallye bike. Can someone explain what is required as far as nav gear goes? What is a Trippmatare and a GPS repeater? I know what a GPS is but how much gear do you need on your bike to set it up properly and why?? Thanks in advance!!

http://www.adventuremoto.com.au
Your ride.. Your adventure!
SteveRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 12:42 AM   #52
SteveRed
Adventure Mojo

Oddometer: 2,681
Quote:
Steve, it depends on what type pf Nav event you are going in for, tell us that and I am sure someone here on the forum can help.

If it is for Aussie nav events I can help.
Ye well initially I just want to ride in the WildBoar and next year who knows! Maybe even the Oz Safari if I can grow a big enough pair of balls after doing the Condo! Someone said you cannot use a GPS in the OZ Safari in any case.

http://www.adventuremoto.com.au
Your ride.. Your adventure!
SteveRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 03:36 AM   #53
SafariBerg OP
Oz Safari Addict

'08 Condo 750 2 day Rallye - NSW Australia

A team of 3 riders from Western Australia all on Husaberg's went over for the '08 Condo 750 2 day Rallye in NSW Australia at Easter.

http://www.condo750.com.au/

#71 Desertrider '08 FE650
Tony - trusty mechanic & support guy
#17 Gazza '07 FE650
#29 SafariBerg '08 FE650

'08 FE650 - 10.5L main tank & 3L underseat tank, ICO & MD roadbook, 16:45 gearing, Akra slip on pipe, Scotts steering damper.

Gazza backing her in !

At the Control at the end of a Selective (competitive) stage afer a 25km long drag race & dice to the finish with each other on Day 1...............great fun

Servicing at the bivouac at the end of Day 1.

The event is a 2 day full navigational rallye like the Safari, varied terrain and lots of fun. 74 motos started and 69 finished. 6 Berg 650's started and 6 finished.

Gazza came 25th (his first rallye), SafariBerg 28th, Desertrider had a kangaroo jump on him during Day 1 and DNF'd the rest of that day, but finished Day 2.

Will go back again next year

Stories here.

http://www.bmwgs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=306565
Old 04-07-2008, 12:27 AM   #54
B.V.
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Great stuff!!!
See a "berg" in my feature.
B.V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 02:57 PM   #55
PPiA
Pete

Oddometer: 1,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveRed
I'm a complete n00b when it comes to setting up a rallye bike. Can someone explain what is required as far as nav gear goes? What is a Trippmatare and a GPS repeater? I know what a GPS is but how much gear do you need on your bike to set it up properly and why?? Thanks in advance!!

Top left is a tripmeter. Resetable meter that tells you how far you have travelled.
Top right is a GPS repeater. Tells you your compass heading in degrees so that you don't have to keep looking down at the GPS.
The Dakar GPS is that big thing on the bars...
PPiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 07:07 AM   #56
paulsra
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hair
Thanks I am in the process of doing that now.
HMS racing was adding Honda XR400R coolers to their bergs.
I bought Peter's last filter converted cap. I also bought an XR400R cooler off of Ebay.
I hope to start mounting this weekend. I've put about 10 hours on the berg. I really like this bike. I use to ride a 525. The two bikes are close, The berg pulls harder. And it really show it's stuff on the more open trails.

This is a great thread.
gday all,

i must say excellent reading..
just wondering if anyone thinks it might be a good idea to add an oil cooler to an 07 650FE? i ride in fairly tight tracks, occasionally in 40 deg plus temps.

also, i noticed that the clarke tank has mention of being 17 litres but i can only find a clark tank at 15 litres on google. any idea on this?

thanks

www.useddirtbikes.com.au
paulsra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 05:59 PM   #57
SafariBerg OP
Oz Safari Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsra
gday all,

i must say excellent reading..
just wondering if anyone thinks it might be a good idea to add an oil cooler to an 07 650FE? i ride in fairly tight tracks, occasionally in 40 deg plus temps.

also, i noticed that the clarke tank has mention of being 17 litres but i can only find a clark tank at 15 litres on google. any idea on this?

thanks

www.useddirtbikes.com.au
My Clarke holds 17 litres stock, measured it several times. I'm going to warm it up and blow it out another couple of litres, should be able to get close to 20 L.

The only off the shelf oil cooler that I have seen is the Joe Racer one. It is vulnerable to damage, I did a motor in last years Safari due to damage to the oil cooler. Since then I have not run one and all seems fine with around 13,000 km of rallye racing across 3 different bikes (all '07 or '08 FE650's) with no oil cooler. So I'm not looking at using one for now.

To me the critical thing is the oil.

Run Motul 300V Factoryline 15w50 double ester oil and you should be fine.

It's the best there is for Bergs, it has been designed for rallye racing and is unlike any other oil you will find.

Even when my oil cooler broke and the engine went it was only the big end that failed due to the drop in oil pressure, the rest of the motor was like brand new after 3,000km of rallye racing.

For tight hot work the KTM/HBG radiator fan would be more useful I think.
Old 05-14-2008, 01:33 AM   #58
paulsra
n00b

Quote:
My Clarke holds 17 litres stock, measured it several times. I'm going to warm it up and blow it out another couple of litres, should be able to get close to 20 L.

The only off the shelf oil cooler that I have seen is the Joe Racer one. It is vulnerable to damage, I did a motor in last years Safari due to damage to the oil cooler. Since then I have not run one and all seems fine with around 13,000 km of rallye racing across 3 different bikes (all '07 or '08 FE650's) with no oil cooler. So I'm not looking at using one for now.

To me the critical thing is the oil.

Run Motul 300V Factoryline 15w50 double ester oil and you should be fine.

It's the best there is for Bergs, it has been designed for rallye racing and is unlike any other oil you will find.

Even when my oil cooler broke and the engine went it was only the big end that failed due to the drop in oil pressure, the rest of the motor was like brand new after 3,000km of rallye racing.

For tight hot work the KTM/HBG radiator fan would be more useful I think.
ok, iv used the wrong conversion for the 4 gal tank. apparently theres a US gallon DRY and a US gallon Liquid......

i currently use motorex 20-50, i thought that for longer trips like the rallyes your talking about would need a thicker oil than 15-50. do you find the gears mesh smoother on a cold engine with the 15-50? i find that it wants to jump out from under you upon engaging first on a cold engine.

also, does your radiator fan run for a few minutes after engine has stopped?
does this put excessive drain on your battery?
i was thinking about getting one and rewiring it to a switch on the bars.

thanks

Old 05-14-2008, 01:58 AM   #59
SafariBerg OP
Oz Safari Addict

[quote=paulsra]
i currently use motorex 20-50 the key is the double ester oil its not like a single ester product like the Motorex, personally I wouldn't use the Motorex with the Bergs though I used it for many years on the KTM's with no issues. I believe the higher grade product is much better insurance with the Bergs and this is also the evidence that a couple of Dutch and Swedish Berg rallye teams have found over the last 5-6 years as well, where they have had no engine failures

, i thought that for longer trips like the rallyes your talking about would need a thicker oil than 15-50. do you find the gears mesh smoother on a cold engine with the 15-50? yes, let it warm for a few minutes and hold & release the clutch a couple of times before engaging the gears, most of my rallye riding has been warm-hot temps i find that it wants to jump out from under you upon engaging first on a cold engine.

also, does your radiator fan run for a few minutes after engine has stopped? yes only a couple though

does this put excessive drain on your battery? no, no probs ever

i was thinking about getting one and rewiring it to a switch on the bars.no need the thermostat works fine

SafariBerg screwed with this post 05-14-2008 at 02:14 AM
SafariBerg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 04:38 AM   #60
paulsra
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPiA

Top left is a tripmeter. Resetable meter that tells you how far you have travelled.
Top right is a GPS repeater. Tells you your compass heading in degrees so that you don't have to keep looking down at the GPS.
The Dakar GPS is that big thing on the bars...
where would one find these items for purchase? cant seem to find them anywhere
thanks
paulsra is offline   Reply With Quote