User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2009, 06:34 PM   #106
SafariBerg OP
Oz Safari Addict

Oddometer: 2,933
Thumb Australasain Safari 2009

The Husaberg Rallye Racing team had a great Safari this year with two top ten placings and 6 bikes to the finish in what is considered to be the toughest Safari rallye of the last decade.

David Schwarz put his 2008 FE650 into 5th outright and Andrew Coaker his 2009 FE570 in 7th outright................top stuff guys

Annie Seel did her usual amazing iron woman rallye ride by overcoming pain big time to place 16th outright.

eight rider team with 15 service/support crew, largest Husberg rallye team at any multiday rallye ever

#7 David Schwarz - '08 FE650
#8 Andrew Coaker - '09 FE570
#10 Brandon Keinhaus - '07 FE650
#11 Annie Seel - '09 FE570
#29 Garry Connell - '09 FE570
#41 Geoff Dean - '09 FE570
#57 Ben Green - '09 FE570
#73 Mick Heuchan -- '09 FE570

Annie & Justin Hunt event director prior to start

New 2009 FE570 rallye bikes with pre-production RV Aqualine Safari tanks. front = 16L the rear = 10L, big bore power and speed with 250F feel and handling

Magnus the Man - Annie's mechanic from back in Sweden

Service crew Magnus & Richie at a refuel stop

David Schwarz changing out his roadbook scroll

Brandon giving the big 650 some stick
Brandon had great speed and posted some top level stage times but unfortunately had a big endo on Day 2 & split his fuel tank and he lost lots of time, a "what if" possible top 5 ride otherwise

Before the event we thought the 650's may have had an advantage due to the extra hp & torque, but the 570's made up for the hp gap with their handling and ability to preserve the rider. At the end of the rallye there was little to seperate them on stage times.

The 650's had again a total rock solid run, very reliable bikes, no mechanical issue what so ever, just oil, filters & fuel. So over the last 3 Safari's we have used 8 650's with no OEM mechanical issues at all, only things that broke where non-OEM things we put on them.

On Day 6 only 50km into a 250km stage Annie had a stick pierce her boot and foot, breaking it off with a stump remaining she raced on to the end of the stage where medics removed it then she continued on to finish the event.............tough stuff !!!

In the teams debut year in 2008 it put a Berg into the top 10 with essentially novice Safari/rallye riders.

This year thanks to great consistent rides from David & Coake the team made top 5 in what is considered to be the toughest Safari in 10 years with the most competitive field racing at a flat out sprint pace the whole event

Of note there were 10 riders capable of making the podium this year or have done it before - Grabbo, Damien G, 2 X Smiths, AJ, Rod F, Fishy, Coake, David S, Ivan & Tim could have sneaked it

If you see the final times of the top 3, they were within 16 mins of each other, they were racing it like it was Finke not a 7 day 4,000km rallye

There was then almost a 2hr gap back to the the next bunch of Ivan & David etc

Both David and Annie commented strongly on how hot the pace was compared to other rallies and Safari's they had done

Also the dnf rate at 25% was the highest this year for the last 10 years

If Dakar regs were used that dnf rate would have gone up to 45%

So yes it was a TOUGH event this year, just as it should be

In 2010 the Husaberg Rallye Racing team's gaol is very much a podium finish

SafariBerg screwed with this post 08-14-2009 at 07:59 PM
SafariBerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 06:57 PM   #107
rallye
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 568
see in the background, Jaybo infiltrating the Husaberg team shoot!!!
rallye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 10:38 PM   #108
Antz69
n00b

Oddometer: 4
well done on the safari effort team husaberg ! awesome pics ( minus the pain ones , ouch ! ) i'm part of the team at Force Accessories , my role is design and ally fabrication , one of my first tasks when commencing employment there was the FE570 skidplate , so i'm thrilled and proud to see our product used in your safari effort and the pics here...bring on 2010 !

Anthony
Old 08-14-2009, 10:42 PM   #109
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,087
Pardon my french but holy fuck is that a stick protruding from Annie's shin bone?

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 10:45 PM   #110
JayBo1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by rallye
see in the background, Jaybo infiltrating the Husaberg team shoot!!!
Ha ha . I remember that instant. There was a lady spectator off to my right that was watching the whole process and after the second or third time I started my bike because I thought the HusaBerg propaganda machine was done she laughed and rolled her eyes. I laughed too and shook my head and that was the moment the shutter captured! I think the photographer had just said, "just a couple more" or something. The Bergers sure know how to overrun a joint!
KTM 530 EXC-R (R for Rally, right!!) ... or Retired or Redundant
Cagiva 750 Elefant - Lucky Explorer '88
JayBo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 11:21 PM   #111
coak
Addicted to Rally Racing!

Oddometer: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antz69
well done on the safari effort team husaberg ! awesome pics ( minus the pain ones , ouch ! ) i'm part of the team at Force Accessories , my role is design and ally fabrication , one of my first tasks when commencing employment there was the FE570 skidplate , so i'm thrilled and proud to see our product used in your safari effort and the pics here...bring on 2010 !

Anthony
Hi Anthony,

I just wanted to send you some praise for a job well done! The bashplates on our 570's looked awesome and to be honest they were probably the number 1 accessory that was commented on by spectators looking at our bikes - all positive comments as well!

I was looking around some of the other bikes at during the ceremonial start in Perth (we were there for hours) and I think you guys (ie Force accessories) have the Safari market monopoly when it comes to skid plates and radiator guards!

Next year you'll have to convince Brian that you need to come along and experience the Safari for 'research and development' reasons.

cheers,
Coak
coak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 11:39 PM   #112
rmhrc628
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,339
Great effort guys

So the 650 really is a great all round bike?

Your team effort must have cost a fortune - I presume the manufacturer financially backs the team and its members? Otherwise someone has some VERY deep pockets!!!

Looked like a great team as well - sort if underdogs against the big Honda team.

I hope you guys win in 2010.
rmhrc628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 04:27 AM   #113
Tome
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 319
Is the FE650 like a bored out 530EXC or like a 690 Enduro?

The bikes look awsome all ready for a rally! I like the factory blue and yellow colour scheme too
Tome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 01:18 PM   #114
canadaler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOME
Is the FE650 like a bored out 530EXC or like a 690 Enduro?
Neither. The 08 (which I assume this is) Berg's had three displacement configurations, 450, 550 & 650. All were the same basic Husaberg (not KTM) engine except for longer strokes on each of the bigger two models.

Congrats on a great team effort Safariberg

Really, really like that prep work on the '09's, very professional and functional looking.
'84 Honda VT500FT Ascot
Tuareg Rally 2009
canadaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 06:22 PM   #115
coak
Addicted to Rally Racing!

Oddometer: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmhrc628
Great effort guys

So the 650 really is a great all round bike?

Your team effort must have cost a fortune - I presume the manufacturer financially backs the team and its members? Otherwise someone has some VERY deep pockets!!!

Looked like a great team as well - sort if underdogs against the big Honda team.

I hope you guys win in 2010.
We wish!!!

Very limited backing from the manufacturer..... mainly funded out each of the riders pocket! SafariBerg can probably elaborate but my understanding is that Husaberg helped by having parts available and also by only charging cost price for the items we used. There was also some dealer support but apart from that it was primarily the 'rental' money that each of the riders paid that funded the team. Some support is certainly better than no support but yes it does cost each of the riders a small fortune to enter a race like the Australasian Safari.

My guess is Honda & KTM would have similar budgets for the Safari (fairly substantial and enough to support 2 riders each), Yamaha supported 1 rider this year, Husaberg helped to support a team of essentially privateer riders.

cheers,
Coak
coak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 02:18 PM   #116
rmhrc628
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by coak
We wish!!!

Very limited backing from the manufacturer..... mainly funded out each of the riders pocket! SafariBerg can probably elaborate but my understanding is that Husaberg helped by having parts available and also by only charging cost price for the items we used. There was also some dealer support but apart from that it was primarily the 'rental' money that each of the riders paid that funded the team. Some support is certainly better than no support but yes it does cost each of the riders a small fortune to enter a race like the Australasian Safari.

My guess is Honda & KTM would have similar budgets for the Safari (fairly substantial and enough to support 2 riders each), Yamaha supported 1 rider this year, Husaberg helped to support a team of essentially privateer riders.

cheers,
Coak
Thanks mate

If it's any benefit I think you'll get a few husaberg sales out of this event - I think many are watching and seeing how well you did.

I particularly like the 650.

Great effort again - the team looked awesome and offered some alternative to the Honda team.
rmhrc628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 06:10 AM   #117
FinnDuro
Winter wonderlanding

Oddometer: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S
Pardon my french but holy fuck is that a stick protruding from Annie's shin bone?
Yep.
IMHO, Annie is The toughest guy out there, bar None. Un-f*ing-believable.

Read more on the "stick incident" on http://www.annieseel.com/
Old 08-17-2009, 04:34 PM   #118
twotyred
Practising Recedivist

Oddometer: 1,911
Quote:
I particularly like the 650.
The 650s are very nice bikes and have been very favourably reviewed over the last few years.

However, they are 'old' tech and have been superseded by the new FE570.

You can read some archived articles on the 650 over at the Husaberg Owners Site at this link.
http://www.husaberg.org/index.php?mo...&cid=3&start=0

More enthusiasm than ability!!
twotyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 12:02 PM   #119
1989dr750
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
correct me if I'm wrong but this looks like the boot is the culprit - most modern boots have soft from new synthetic material just behind the achilles tendon area and low over the front of the leg so that ankle movement isn't as restricted as when boots where all leather (like the Alpinestars Super Victory still are). My guess is that the stick went through the "inferior" vinyl part???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S

1989dr750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 02:55 PM   #120
SafariBerg OP
Oz Safari Addict

Oddometer: 2,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1989dr750
correct me if I'm wrong but this looks like the boot is the culprit - My guess is that the stick went through the "inferior" vinyl part???
yup sure did
it was very very painful for her