Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2008, 08:53 AM   #16
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,728
The quick disconnects that BMW uses are available in several different materials but were intended for laboratory and lwo pressure commercial fluid handling use, not automotive service. However, I can well understand why BMW chose them because the metal ones are significantly heavier.

The design is such that you WILL cut the O-ring if you try to plug or unplug the connector without the release button fully clicked down. Regular buna O-rings will stand up to fuel pretty well but cost only pennies for a bag so why not keep a few spares somewhere?

Every time I have removed the tank from my 1100GS, I have struggled to find something suitable to plug the fuel lines. I usually end up with 1/4" drive socket extensions clamped into the hose ends but it is an awkward and sometimes messy process - especially if the tank is full. I looked at adding BMW quick disconnects but baulked at the ~$100 cost from BMW (about double the cost of the same connectors from a lab supply store), then decided they were probably too fragile anyway. What I really wanted was some short, durable, lightweight, self-sealing connectors at a reasonable price but afaik no such thing exists (the stainless ones are really nice but still can cut the o-rings and pricey!!!!).

A reasonable and neat alternative to quick disconnects would be clamps to pinch off the hose. I have seen some simple clips made from heavy wire but I had trouble finding them. Until recently, I was considering getting a couple of cheap vise grips and grinding the gripping part down until it makes a rounded clamping surface. Yesterday, I finally found a posting on here where some devices called hose pinchers were mentioned. A web search turned them up in several places with autobarn.net apparently having the biggest selection (no affilliation - in fact I've never used them.) For under twenty bucks, I'm going to throw some of those in my toolbox and if I can get the lightweight plastic ones, I'll carry them on the bike.
slartidbartfast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 11:25 AM   #17
JStancampiano
PhotoJoe

Oddometer: 378
I find it amazing that these plastic quick connects are failing and there has never been a recall on them.

We have all seen the other recalls that have been issued (gas tank bolts, brake lines) for problems that I have never seen reported by anyone. The fuel line connect failures have been happening for years and yet there is no recall. Does someone have to die first? Mine failed on my 07 GSAdv spraying gas all over me and the exhaust pipes as fuel ran down the side of the tank. I have three friends with 2003-4 K120gts that have failed These things have been breaking for years in K1200s,gts,R1000, r1150s, and yet no recall. This is a part that should never fail in use, must have something to do with the large number of them out there and costs involved.

If you have ever had a problem with these connects failing, register a complaint with nhtsa:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

Maybe we can get something going.

Sorry for the rant, but this is dumb!!

Joe
Old 09-27-2010, 12:42 PM   #18
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 47,875
There is nothing amazing about this. It is a wear item. With probably 99% of all failures related to assembly/disassembly during maintenance. Rarely does one simply start leaking on its own. It is usually an accident, dropping the bike, or ham fisting them.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 01:00 PM   #19
ADVBedouin
Rider

Oddometer: 396
Fuel lines

See what you started bruce! :)
ADVBedouin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 01:16 PM   #20
JStancampiano
PhotoJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden
There is nothing amazing about this. It is a wear item. With probably 99% of all failures related to assembly/disassembly during maintenance. Rarely does one simply start leaking on its own. It is usually an accident, dropping the bike, or ham fisting them.

Jim
Mine had never been apart and never dropped, it just cracked where it screws into the fuel pump plate and the plate has small hairline cracks radiating out from the female threads (3/8 npt) . It's very possible that these tapered threads were overtightened from the supplier, in which case this would be a one time failure. I have never seen it listed as a maintenance item to replace these every so many miles. The connect that screws into the fuel pump plate is not available as a separate part, you must replace fuel pump plate assembly ($300.00+)

Joe

JStancampiano screwed with this post 09-27-2010 at 01:28 PM
JStancampiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 01:36 PM   #21
JStancampiano
PhotoJoe

This is where the quick connect cracked:
Attached Images

Old 09-27-2010, 01:38 PM   #22
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 47,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by JStancampiano
Mine had never been apart and never dropped, it just cracked where it screws into the fuel pump plate and the plate has small hairline cracks radiating out from the female threads (3/8 npt) . It's very possible that these tapered threads were overtightened from the supplier, in which case this would be a one time failure. I have never seen it listed as a maintenance item to replace these every so many miles. The connect that screws into the fuel pump plate is not available as a separate part, you must replace fuel pump plate assembly ($300.00+)

Joe
Joe,

This was a tech bulitin a while back, and a bunch were replaced under warranty. That isn't what I was referring to at all. I was just talking about the QD male part itself.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 02:03 PM   #23
JStancampiano
PhotoJoe

Sorry Jim, you're right, the inline ones were replaced by some dealers in a tech bulletin a while back. When this one cracked I was riding along and gas started spraying out of the left front and ran down to the exhaust pipe, it was very exciting to say the least. BMW is going to look at it tomorrow to see if they will replace it under warranty. In the meantime, I put a chrome plated brass fitting in which seems to be holding. I had a very hard time getting the threads to seal (finally went with yamabond) as you can't tighten it very much (3 f-lbs)

Joe
Attached Images

JStancampiano screwed with this post 09-27-2010 at 02:26 PM
JStancampiano is offline   Reply With Quote