User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2012, 03:11 PM   #1
megashred OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Transamerica Trail.....why not

Last summer, I heard about the Transamerica Trail and have been determined to do it ever since. This May I'll be graduating from Virginia Tech and my XR650L is pulling hard so I figure this is the perfect time to do an awesome trip like this. Despite my friends thinking I'm crazy and a nervous Mom, I plan to leave my house in Maryland June 1 and start taking on the trail. From the information I've gathered, I am planning on 4 weeks to the pacific and then ride a road route back that will take 1 week. However, I don't have any obligations so timing is no issue. Who knows, maybe I'll hang out west coast style for a little bit. Anyway, I'm making this thread now so if anybody has any tips or encouragement, they can let me know so I am sufficiently prepared for this epic adventure. Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoy it

megashred screwed with this post 01-29-2012 at 12:51 PM
megashred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 04:46 PM   #2
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,642
By no means foolish. I need to warn if you do the TAT will be going down a road to which there is no return. Consider it like crack cocaine, do it once and be forever hooked.. Do some searches here to learn everything you'll need to know about the TAT. Try and get someone to ride with you, shouldn't be too hard at 21 years of age.
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 07:49 PM   #3
Wolfgang55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,334
Spend some time & $ to ensure your Honda is going to be as trouble free as possible.

No short cuts now will give you a lot more fun & far less down drama.

You're going to have fun.
Wolfgang55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 06:03 AM   #4
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,052
Do it now, while you can.
WVhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 06:36 AM   #5
Parcero
Mundial

Oddometer: 522
Do it, but also consider doing an international trip. Wish I would have started traveling when I was younger. Maybe do the TAT and then turn left and go south?

Light Dual Sport Fun in Michigan

R1200GS / KLR650 / XR400 / XR250 / 1950 Panhead
Parcero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 02:33 PM   #6
megashred OP
Adventurer

TAT Racks

So I started making the side and rear racks for the bike. I figured I could make them stronger than the ones I can buy and save some cash along the way. I set up a little fab shop in the garage and went to town

It got a little cold so I moved to the basement. It was warm and the whole fam really liked the welding fumes upstairs

I think they turned out alright. They hook up into the passenger foot peg bolts and the blinker mount bolts so they're totally removable. I still have to get rid of the sharp edge and clean them up a little bit but they're definitley strong enough for the TAT.
Old 01-29-2012, 02:57 PM   #7
Abenteuerfahrer
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,280
Hi MEGA.....come on over to TRIP PLANNING where you will be better served. You're posting in RIDE REPORT where we tell about past rides and current rides not Plans! You're in the wrong Forum.

Cheers...
Abenteuerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 04:00 PM   #8
Theshredmeister
Theshredmeister

Oddometer: 3
Long time tat'er

Hey mega. I'm due to travel the tat for my fifteenth time starting in late may. I've taken a number of boyz 2 men in my time. If you want to ride a seg or two together let me know. Otherwise you will be in my rear view mirror.
Theshredmeister
Theshredmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 06:16 PM   #9
mattc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 412
Do It!

You may need to rethink your travel times, I took 7 weeks on my TAT trip, Baton Rouge, LA to the coast and back.

I think your only problem is the XR650Ladies, you should try an XR650Rad! jfwy
Old 01-30-2012, 07:50 PM   #10
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,642
My group (3) took 5 weeks out, 5 days to get back (for me). Figure 5,000 miles from start to finish. Can be done in 4 weeks, but that's hard core. 5 weeks with 5 or 6 days off. We had a few layovers, two of which were tire changes, one was a busted shifter lever, another waiting for a contact to arrive, then one lost day due to a "dead" battery. The dead battery kept two guys from ridding while one kept riding but that was a 140 mile round trip to find a replacement.

If on the TAT, you need to say to hell with a set itinerary, as the TAT will decide that...Things happen, so don't get fixated on making miles or towns by certtain dates or times as that just increases the stress level. Sure it's great to make some miles and it's hard not to set some goals, but also enjoy the experience...good and bad.
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 12:11 PM   #11
ADVWannabee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by megashred View Post
This May I'll be graduating from Virginia Tech
Congrats, soon to be fellow VT alumni. I didn't start my riding career until many years after college and have missed a lot of riding so enjoy.
ADVWannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 07:17 AM   #12
megashred OP
Adventurer

Thanks for all the advice guys. As for timing, I am aware that I should keep it open ended. I'm pretty intent on taking the entire summer off of work so time is not really important to me. My only limiting factor is cash but i'm planning on mostly camping and not eating out a lot so I think I'll have plenty to hold me over.....as long as I don't blow it all throwing down here for my last semester. As for a riding partner, I kinda like the idea of doing it alone but it would be nice to know there are so bros around in case I get into trouble. As for ride preparation, I'm trying to be as thorough as possible. My bike is running awesome and just turned over 1,100 miles so it's real fresh. Future upgrades include rear saddle bags for the racks, acerbis 5.8 gal tank, power supply for gps/phone, dunlop d606's, and a tank bag.....for now.

quick question about the acerbis 5.8 gal tank- my bike is an '07 and a lot of the tanks are 00-05. I've read that they fit all models with slight modification though. What is the "slight modification?" if anybody has put the acerbis 5.8 on an 07, let me know.

Shout outs:

Shredmeister: Thats awesome you're doing this for the 15th time, thats impressive. Since we're leaving about the same time, definitely stay in touch and that'd be cool to ride a little bit together.

Mattc: don't knock my L bro haha...but seriously

Parcero: I like you're style
Old 02-01-2012, 09:05 AM   #13
ridelife1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,612
tat trip

they make an acerbis 2007 model tank - call them to order it. i had one on mine.
i've ridden parts of it on my 07 & mine ran without any problems.
make sure you take enough oil cause of some of the high altitude riding. mine used a little at the really high areas in colorado. also beware of 2 things.
dog patch road in tennessee. we hit 2 teenage girls riding an atv & sent one on a free helicopter ride to the hospital after she had her head cracked open by my buddies handlebar. he hit her broadside doing about 35 after she ran a stop sign. apprantely they just let their 14 year old girls ride atv's doubled up down the road without any gear on. hillbillys are funny.
the so called jeep trails in colorado. they are more like atv trails & if you have alot a gear on your bike your going to constantly be smashing the bottom of it on unseen rocks in what look like little puddles. it will fuck up your skid plate if you're not carefull. pray to the man upstairs it does not rain for a couple of days before you take on those "jeep roads". if it does rain hopefully you have good tires or you'll be busting your ass a couple of times.
final warning - remember that some of these stops are in towns that close at 5:00 so don't go riding in there at 8:00 expecting a hot meal & some drinks. chances are you'll be eating our of a hotel vending machine. i can attest to that.
ridelife1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 11:14 AM   #14
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,791
It'll be a ride you'll never forget...

Preparation, +a bazillion times. Rethink everything over and over. Prior to my buddy and I going in 2010, we spoke to a ranger in Colorado, the one thing that sticks in my head is we were told to "be prepared to self-rescue".
Have fun!
Old 02-01-2012, 11:17 AM   #15
big-t
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 477
You are going to have a great time.. Preparation is the key in having a successful trip.

I live in Roanoke and have done the TAT,so if you need to pick my brain or whats left of it.. ,PM me

BTW: Our local club has a number of members from Va tech

Link
big-t is offline   Reply With Quote