Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2008, 11:37 AM   #151
calrider OP
I'm Lost Too!!

Oddometer: 673
Quote:
Originally Posted by maropa9
Estupendo reportaje, gran viaje. Gracias por compartirlo.
Con mucho gusto...
calrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 04:15 PM   #152
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,930
great report, amazing you got so far on such a small bike.
Bluebull2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 05:42 PM   #153
chillidog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
I just came across this RR. Great pics and prose! What an incredible experience to meet the people and see the sites that you're sharing with us. Thanks. Keep it coming! BTW, I gave this RR a 5 star rating.
chillidog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 06:24 PM   #154
d'Artagnan1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
Cal,

Wonderful journey & report. Just stumbled onto this and kept calling my wife in from the kitchen to check out the great pics and to tell her what was going on. Excellent, my friend, excellent!

All for One, and One for All
d'Artagnan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 07:47 PM   #155
Saeed
Life-long learner

Oddometer: 284
Looks great!! Nice roads.. and pics
thanks for posting

2006 Honda CRF 250X " Sold "
2007 Sportster 883 " sold"
2008 yamaha FZ6
Saeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 09:03 PM   #156
STRacer
Born again biker

Oddometer: 31
Man what a trip.....damn...thanks to you it way past my bedtime.......

"FEEL THE FEAR.....and do it anyway" Quote by Cariboostrom

1993 Honda ST1100
2003 Yamaha TW200 Tennessee to Oklahoma on the TAT
2003 Suzuki DRZ400s Oklahoma to Nevada on the TAT
STRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 07:52 PM   #157
KilLeR Kawasaki
Marky A

Oddometer: 921
Fantastic stuff. This is what the good life is made of.
KilLeR Kawasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 09:31 PM   #158
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,055
This has been a wonderful and intriguing story. Thank you, calrider.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 04:53 AM   #159
CrazyCarl
The Eternal NooB

Oddometer: 386
Cal,

Just caught up with your video attempt w/ voice-over. It looks good! IMHO I think you've chosen a good set of clips but the transitions could be smoother. Look for similarities between end and beginning frames and then mess around with different kinds of transitions.

The voice overs were fine except the "Style" of voice seemed to change a couple times. It's really hard to keep the style consistent unless you're doing all the takes in one sitting...which is not so easy especially if you're writing and correcting the script as you go.

Probably one of the biggest and most overlooked parts in video editing is the sound. Sounds is a super important part of video that many people don't realize because it's so spatial. Instead of having the sounds hard cut from one clips to another, play with the "cross-fade" transition in Premiere. This will help blend the sound transistions and make the sound-track more seamless.

Another sound problem...which is killer on a hand-cam...is leveling the sound of a subjects spoken audio. Although it's a bit of extra work, razor the in/out of each spoken segment on the live audio track and do an "auto-gain" on just that clip. Some of may come up a full 16db or so. Fade those into the surrounding clips and see if it makes a difference in impact.

Otherwise, I thought it was a good job and I'm sure you learned A LOT in the process. How long did it take?

CC

The Return - Riding Western China DVD - The first and only moto film about riding in China!

MyChinaMoto.com - AdVRiding in China - News, Community and Resources

CarlParker.com
- Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

CrazyCarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 09:00 AM   #160
keram
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
fantastic, thank you.
keram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 11:06 PM   #161
calrider OP
I'm Lost Too!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkdaddy
Great stuff. Keep it coming.
Thanks... I'm trying...

achesley, rapiti, chillidog, d'Artagnan1, saeed250x, STRacer, Markya, Klay, Keram... thanks for the encouragement!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanF
Well I'd planned on getting some things done around the homestead this morning..
Sorry SeanF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007
great report, amazing you got so far on such a small bike.
The bike was not really the limiting factor. In the difficult parts it was more my inability to pound through with enough speed to keep the revs up in the torque curve.

Quote:
Cal,

Just caught up with your video attempt w/ voice-over. It looks good! IMHO I think you've chosen a good set of clips but the transitions could be smoother. Look for similarities between end and beginning frames and then mess around with different kinds of transitions.
Yeah, I hear ya Carl. All great advice! Thanks!!
I know the sound really sucked. Thanks for the tip on auto-leveling. I learned a TON in the process. It took longer than I care to admit.
Hope you're still OK after the last aftershock yesterday. Loved your report and video on the motorcycle rescue.
Old 06-09-2008, 11:17 PM   #162
calrider OP
I'm Lost Too!!

The village had a low wall all around it with a portal/gate in the wall. It wouldn't really keep people out, but it served to delineate the village and maybe kept animals out. Amiga went to the gate and spoke with the folks hanging around the gate while I kept a respectful distance with our noisey little bike, turned it off and sat and waited. After a while, Amiga walked back to me and told me that they were going to talk to the village leader. A while later he came out and talked to Amiga for a while. She explained everything we had experienced up to that point and that we were here to continue on our project of interviewing and photographing people. Cesar was actually supposed to be here by this time to introduce us, but he was nowhere to be found. In any case, the fellow allowed us to stay in the village. They unlocked the gate, I drove the motorbike through and he showed us a spot to put the bike and a room in one of the huts where we could sleep. We decided to just pitch our tent in front of the hut instead. We were not, however, allowed to take photos. That was a real pity because the village is like something out of another era. 30 or 40 thatched-roofed houses with mud and stick (wattle and daub) walls. We were welcome to stay until they reached a decision on whether or not to allow us to take photos. In the meantime, no photos or videos of the village.

Since there was a creek nearby, of course the first thing Amiga did was to jump in:

On the way back from the creek, we ran into Amiga's friend Rogelio. He was the other Arhuaco that she met at the Global Indigenous Dialogue in Switzerland:
http://globalindigenousdialogue.org/home.html
We had no idea he was here and she had not been able to contact him previously to let him know we were coming. Needless to say it was a flurry of hugs, smiles and reminiscing.

Another reason we had chosen this time to be here was because this was the time of one of the meetings of all the leaders of the Arhuaco people. "Parliament was in session". We were welcome to go wherever we wanted, including their sessions. It was surreal to be in a large, dark room with just a bit of light coming in from small windows, full of Arhuaco leaders speaking in their language and deciding on various political and social issues. We were also welcomed to eat with them at mealtimes.

At one point, they asked us to address the leaders with our request and reasons for being here. Unfortunately neither Cesar or his father had shown up, so we were on our own. I did my pitch in English which Amiga translated to Spanish and one of the leaders translated to Arhuaco. Then Amiga did her pitch in Spanish.

Coincidentally there was another fellow there from the Discovery Channel who was also seeking permission to do some filming. He also pitched his case. The whole process took well over an hour. It was odd to be sitting there as they discussed our request in Arhuaco for what seemed like ages. Every now and then we'd here our names rise to the surface of a the steady stream of Arhuaco. Eventually we were told we could leave and that they'd let us know after speaking with their Mamos.

That night was perfectly clear with a full moon and quite chilly. Our thermarests had both taken a hit and weren't holding air, so we had hardly any insulation from the ground. The rocks were colder than a brass toilet seat on the shady side of an iceberg. Needless to say, we didn't have a great night and woke up (ahem) grumpier than normal.

This spiraled down into our first (ahem) disagreement of the trip. A little time on our own was in order. I headed up the valley while Amiga headed down the valley. I was sitting by the creek thinking about life when this little guy came up to me and started chatting:

He was fishing in the creek:

He simply had a fishing line with a hook on the end wrapped around a tin can. He would swing the lure in a circle and then let it fly as the fishing line spun off the can. He didn't catch anything and must have been getting bored. We chatted a while as he explained things about the area. He was curious about my camera, so I let him take a couple photos. Here is one of them.:

I think the kid's got talent!

In the meantime, Amiga was letting off her half of the steam at the other end of the village. She visited the local school and chatted with the teachers. A mural on the wall of the school depicts the dual worlds in which the Arhuaco find themselves.:

It says that "Sometimes those things which threaten our existence have in their hands the possibility to prolong our existence indefinitely" (approximate translation)

There has also been a dictionary developed of the Arhuaco language:

A while later once we had "desteamed" we hooked up all was cool once again. (back down to DEFCON 5)

We took the opportunity to sit down with Rogelio and video him as he related his take on the place in history in which the Arhuacos currently find themselves:

That day the leaders walked to another part of the valley to confer with the Mamos. We awaited their decision...

Old 06-17-2008, 06:46 PM   #163
firbster
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Hey Cal

im heading down to medellin in august for 2 weeks , my wife is from there , going to meet the inlaws for the first time . i was thinking of renting a car and driving from medellin to cartegena . now i have been discouraged from doing this because its unsafe to travel cross country by vehicle well infact i have been told im crazy for even going down there .....how did you find getting around down there ,, any suggestions?

thanks
firbster
firbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 07:15 PM   #164
calrider OP
I'm Lost Too!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by firbster
Hey Cal

im heading down to medellin in august for 2 weeks , my wife is from there , going to meet the inlaws for the first time . i was thinking of renting a car and driving from medellin to cartegena . now i have been discouraged from doing this because its unsafe to travel cross country by vehicle well infact i have been told im crazy for even going down there .....how did you find getting around down there ,, any suggestions?

thanks
firbster
Hi Firbster,

Oh I envy you... Medellin is an amazing city! Make sure to take the metro and head up on the MetroCable to the shanty towns to appreciate the transformation that's going on in the city. Your inlaws will be able to tell you all about the previous mayor and the incredible turnaround that he was able to orchestrate. And make sure you get up into the plateau area near the new airport and explore around there. Guatape is a beautiful place near an gorgeous reservoir. And if you get a chance, head down to Manizales and to the hot springs at Santa Rosa de Cabal.

Now, regarding safety... Depends who's discouraging you... If the locals (your inlaws) are saying "don't do it" then I would pay attention. If it's people who get their view of the world from Fox and CNN, then I'd say ignore them.

We found all of the main highways we travelled to be safe and well-patrolled by army and police. The police and army treated us with the utmost kindness and respect and we were never hit up for any bribes. The main highways have police/army checkpoints every 20-50 km.

When we were there, everyone was more concerned about the traffic than anything else. However, if you get into a dodgy area you'll start to get a "feeling" that something just isn't quite right. Pay attention to it. I don't know where it comes from, but I think the subconscious somehow quickly creates an image of what constitutes "OK" in the environment you're in. You'll probably find that for the first few days, everything seems a bit unnerving until your mind starts building a "pattern". Then you'll calm down and feel fine until that "feeling" hits you when you subconscious detects something that doesn't fit the "OK" pattern. Striking Viking mentions having this feeling as well just before his misadventures began.

We felt it a couple times when we intentionally went into the back country. We knew that something was just "different". Although we couldn't point to anything specific, both of us got it loud and clear.

That being said, we rode the bike from Bogota to the north coast then down to Cartagena and then to Medellin via Sincelejo (direct route) and the tooled around the Andes for a while (Manizales etc.) before heading back to Bogota. Take advantage of the police and army to ask questions if you plan to head into back country. Your wife will be an amazing asset since she's local (believe me...). And you'll be treated like a celebrity as soon as you're away from the main centers. Not a lot of tourists travelling around.

I know you'll love it! You can drive up to Cartagena in 1 long day. It's nice to stay in the old city. Lonely planet has some nice recommendations for various budget levels. Plan to spend a least a couple full days in the city. Head up to the city wall during sunset to watch it across the ocean. (buy an ice cream from a local vendor!)

Oh, and regarding traffic. It all seems a bit chaotic at first, but somehow once you understand the game, it's all good. Main thing is don't be impatient when you're crawling up a mountain behind a semi. The locals will pass uphill around a blind corner... but they usually don't get that much further ahead anyways.

Take care and feel free to PM me if you want any more info.

calrider screwed with this post 06-19-2008 at 10:24 AM
Old 06-17-2008, 09:18 PM   #165
oldx
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,094
Great report and pictures of your adventure.
oldx is offline   Reply With Quote