User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2008, 09:14 AM   #16
spidennis
SandStorm Adventures

Oddometer: 1,274
S. Padre local

To find out more about riding into mexico check out a link here at TwoWheelTexan:
http://www.twtex.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=45
They have been riding to, in and around the mountains of Monterrey ....

and here's a list of all my rides, mods, fixes and whatnot .... :
(yeah, lots of beach rides included, as you might imagine!)
http://www.sandslave.com/2003wr250f/

The Texas Hill Country will be hard to pass thru without finding quite a few interesting detours ..... you might not ever make all the way down to spi!

and this is a pm I just sent, but see it might be useful info for others as well:
Usually during spring break most of the winter texans are already gone, but not all. Camping at Isla Blanca County Park will be your best bet for tent camping. Motels might be tough to find though .... If I got this right, Easter is right in the tail end of Spring Break this year? Lots of mexican nationals come during that time, so I'm sure that time will be a complete zoo. Your KLR will be just fine for riding up the beach, and if you've seen my various ride reports
http://www.sandslave.com/2003wr250f/
you'll know that's quite a different adventure than the rest of the country has to offer. There's also a place called "the port" which is an offroad dirt riding area open to the public all the time. Big Bend is quite a ways away, and a whole different trip ...... I've never been (recently) but wanting to go sometime, but will trailer my bike out there. Are you planning on riding or trailering that KLR on down? It's a long way across texas .......

If any of you, especially after seeing my beach pics, ever want to do a beach ride I'd be happy to ride with you ...... I'd not recommend anything over a 650 dp bike though .... and while street bikes can get onto the beach at certain times, I'd not recommend it.

We just had another front push thru last night and it's a bit cooler today ..... I bet it's just frosty up north!

here's a link to Isla Blanca, but I'll go and ride over there and get more info later on today ......
http://www.co.cameron.tx.us/park/blanca.htm
List of my Spot Tracker Adventures:
http://www.spotadventures.com/user/p...?user_id=53368

spidennis screwed with this post 01-16-2008 at 09:26 AM
spidennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 09:25 AM   #17
El Guero OP
V4 Whore

Oddometer: 9,725
Thanks Dennis! This is a ton of help!

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 07:50 PM   #18
Teeds
Don Quixote

Oddometer: 1,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guero
C'mon, hasn't anybody ever been there?
Calling spidennis to the white courtesy phone.

If he does not answer here, rattle his cage over at Two Wheel Texans. He lives there and has a ride or three post up on TWT.

NEVERMIND ... 205ed by Dennis himself!
we are NOT human beings having a spiritual experience, rather we ARE spiritual BEINGS having a human experience - johnjen
Teeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 09:04 PM   #19
El Guero OP
V4 Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeds
Calling spidennis to the white courtesy phone.

If he does not answer here, rattle his cage over at Two Wheel Texans. He lives there and has a ride or three post up on TWT.

NEVERMIND ... 205ed by Dennis himself!
I pm'ed him myself to drag him into this

I figure while I'm headed down there I really need to go see my grandparents in Pearland, so I can't really take in the Hill Country this time. I may have to save that one for when I do my real Mexico trip in a year or two

Sounds to me like I'll probably be camped out in Isla Blanca for a few days if anybody wants to join me (mid-late March)

Dennis, can you tell me if Isla Blanca is walking distance to the bikinis at that time of year?

Old 01-17-2008, 11:04 AM   #20
fifthcircle
Beer Knurd

Oddometer: 5,206
Quote:
I pm'ed him myself to drag him into this

I figure while I'm headed down there I really need to go see my grandparents in Pearland, so I can't really take in the Hill Country this time. I may have to save that one for when I do my real Mexico trip in a year or two

Sounds to me like I'll probably be camped out in Isla Blanca for a few days if anybody wants to join me (mid-late March)

Dennis, can you tell me if Isla Blanca is walking distance to the bikinis at that time of year?
That's where the folks I know live. Maybe I will talk the wife into flying down for a couple days, and we can get sloshed for a night there

In short, adaptation is the precursor to growth and seeking out difficult, uncomfortable and challenging situations accelerates development, enriches our lives and provides us with the kind of awesome fucking memories that will sustain us until a final sleep rounds our little lives.
BLOG
fifthcircle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 11:26 AM   #21
El Guero OP
V4 Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifthcircle
That's where the folks I know live. Maybe I will talk the wife into flying down for a couple days, and we can get sloshed for a night there
Throw her on the Strom!

Old 01-17-2008, 04:17 PM   #22
GSbiker
new and un-improved

Oddometer: 11,429
Quote:
I've been trying to plan a spring break trip forever, and I've pretty much let GSbiker convince me that I need to go to South Padre Island for beer and boobs.

So just in case I get the KLR down there and get bored, what else can I do in that area? Should I pack my passport and papers? I'm going to have 11 days off last thing I knew, and it'll take me two days to get down there. Anybody know what camping situations are like around Padre? (the cheaper the better)

Bottom line I guess is what would you do with a week off and a KLR in south Texas?
Sure, go ahead and blame it on me.

GSbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 07:47 AM   #23
fifthcircle
Beer Knurd

Oddometer: 5,206
Quote:
Throw her on the Strom!
Ain't happenin.

In short, adaptation is the precursor to growth and seeking out difficult, uncomfortable and challenging situations accelerates development, enriches our lives and provides us with the kind of awesome fucking memories that will sustain us until a final sleep rounds our little lives.
BLOG
fifthcircle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 03:51 PM   #24
El Guero OP
V4 Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifthcircle
Ain't happenin.
If you can get her to ride 1000 miles on a V-strom, that might get her to buy you a big new BMW!

Old 01-19-2008, 08:23 AM   #25
crosscountry
Bear went over Mountain

Oddometer: 2,380
Quote:
I've been trying to plan a spring break trip forever, and I've pretty much let GSbiker convince me that I need to go to South Padre Island for beer and boobs.

So just in case I get the KLR down there and get bored, what else can I do in that area? Should I pack my passport and papers? I'm going to have 11 days off last thing I knew, and it'll take me two days to get down there. Anybody know what camping situations are like around Padre? (the cheaper the better)

Bottom line I guess is what would you do with a week off and a KLR in south Texas?
I'm thinking of doing the same. Of course it's only a day ride to get down there.

I'm trying to get a couple friends to go with me too. What dates were you thinking about?

I went for the thrill of adventure and the desire to explore - Charlie Duke
crosscountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 09:22 AM   #26
El Guero OP
V4 Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry
I'm thinking of doing the same. Of course it's only a day ride to get down there.

I'm trying to get a couple friends to go with me too. What dates were you thinking about?
I'd probably show up to Padre on the 16th or 17th of March. I've got until the Monday after that to get back to Nebraska.

Old 01-19-2008, 04:09 PM   #27
crosscountry
Bear went over Mountain

Oddometer: 2,380
we should try to meet up while down there. I have two friends coming from up north, one riding the other flying. He'll ride my second. That is assuming they make it down.

Would be fun to meet another member.

I went for the thrill of adventure and the desire to explore - Charlie Duke
crosscountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 05:10 PM   #28
El Guero OP
V4 Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry
we should try to meet up while down there. I have two friends coming from up north, one riding the other flying. He'll ride my second. That is assuming they make it down.

Would be fun to meet another member.
Hahaha will do, granted I can actually afford to go in the first place

Old 01-19-2008, 08:36 PM   #29
dppeter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
I rode my 305 Honda Superhawk down there once (from Iowa)- I camped on the beach and had a great time. That was back in O-Man like 1983. Good times brother!
dppeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 08:56 PM   #30
El Guero OP
V4 Whore

bump

About a week ago I gave up on this trip, but now I've decided I just need to try to make it happen, even if I only spend a couple nights down there. Anybody got anything else to say?