Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > EMEA
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2008, 10:38 AM   #1
virco OP
The lighthearted rider

Oddometer: 24
Question What to do with on-board luggage when bike is unnatended?

While on a long(er) trip what is your best experience in dealing with the bulk of your on-board luggage (camping gear, helmet(s), road jacket(s), etc.) that is not inside some locked pannier / box, when stopping in a town that you want to explore by foot for just a few hours?

What about when camping in (or in the vicinity of) a city that you want to spend more time in? What is your experience with leaving personal belongings in a tent on camping sites?

As I plan my trip to be rather relaxed and with lots of stops in various places, from tourist invaded cities to remote quiet villages, I am trying to figure out the best way to avoid (as much as possible without spoiling my off-bike time) the advent of theft.

Any of you using an alarm (with motion sensor) on their bike? Are they any good or more of a nuisance?

Maybe it's worth mentioning that I plan to ride throughout the (extended) EU. starting April

Thank you for the advice. Cheers
Virgil

virco screwed with this post 01-14-2008 at 10:47 AM
virco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 04:28 AM   #2
on2wheels52
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,247
I had some thoughts about those issues also. Much helmet theft problem, and I don't have a $600 replica.
Jim
on2wheels52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 10:24 AM   #3
saobh_ie
Slightly confused

Oddometer: 49
Dry Bags

Never really been a concern. I always wrap my luggage in bin bags or dry bags so I guess it looks unappealling. Obviously when I park up the bike gets chained up, the lid gets chained up too.

The only thing I really worry about is a dog pissing on my lid while its chained to the wheel of the bike which is chained to some other immovable object.

As regards gear, I usually hump it with me. My new plan is to carry a second large dry bag and one of those secure steel wire net jobbies. Park up, chain up bike, strip off and throw all my gear in dry bag no.2, lock it up as best i can and secure it to the bike. Jobs a gud'n.

Although I do have two big hard cases... well... plastic givi boxes. Don't like using them because then the bike becomes as wide as most cars and I can't filter.
Old 01-26-2008, 02:08 PM   #4
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,206
Alternatively...

Without wanting to sound flippant... just take less stuff with you?!

JennyMo xxx

More seriously, perhaps befriend a local cafe/restaurant and see if you can leave your stuff there (having eaten a hearty meal of course) - or there is always the 'left luggage' facility at railway stations etc?
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 02:34 PM   #5
eatalotapeaches
finding my own way

Oddometer: 1,461
I usually carry a small cable with combo lock in my tankbag when traveling and comutting. It's about 3-4 feet long so I string it thru the arm of my jacket then thru the D ring on helmet onto bike. Pretty good theft "deterent" for $15. It makes me feel better and that's really all that matters. Also I sometimes carry a packable bag like this in the tank bag. http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...icial%26sa%3DG Perfect for carrying the tank bag or smaller valuables for a while.

Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love, for I have put my trust in you. Show me the way I should go, for to you I lift up my soul. Psalm 143:8
eatalotapeaches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 04:36 PM   #6
BigX
n00b - Yeah, right

Oddometer: 609
How about carrying all that stuff in a backpack and just taking it with you when you're on foot?
BigX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 05:43 PM   #7
Sparke
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 451
lock-up

While traveling in Europe 2-up we use the long cable throught the sleeve, leg and helmet technique...Lots of times we change into walking shoes and lock one boot from each pair in the saddlebag and leave the other boot in a pants-leg.
Sparke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 06:23 PM   #8
* SHAG *
Unstable

Oddometer: 4,280
I carry a bike cover. Pants & jacket on the seat. Helmet clipped to handlebar, then cover.
05-GS- Rock Red 91k
06-GS- Dakar-40k Sold
* SHAG * is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 03:07 PM   #9
DominicDomingo
axe me anything

Oddometer: 7,093
"The only thing I really worry about is a dog pissing on my lid while its chained to the wheel of the bike which is chained to some other immovable object."

WHY IN GOD'S NAME DO YOU OR ANYONE DO THAT? Figure out the shortest lenght of heavy chain you can get away with and chain your lid to your bars or somewhere else, It's well worth the extra kilo or so. ALL KINDS OF DOGS AND THEIR HUMANS ARE PISSING ON AND IN YOUR HELMET AND FINDING IT AMUSING. I see people do it here and just wonder. I've seen a pooped-in helmet!
DominicDomingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 03:26 PM   #10
DominicDomingo
axe me anything

Oddometer: 7,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo (& piglet)

JennyMo xxx

More seriously, perhaps befriend a local cafe/restaurant and see if you can leave your stuff there (having eaten a hearty meal of course) - or there is always the 'left luggage' facility at railway stations etc?
This is sound advice, if you are in Europe, there are pay lockers in almost every train station, its a small price to pay for the security and most of all the comfort of strolling in street clothes.
For leaving cases on, for instance, in a place like Barcelona where you can park on the sidewalk, try leaving it respectfully in plain view of a hotel reception with big front windows or a cafe you like, tip your waiter and point at your bike and ask "eez ok here?" they will know. Thieves often work an area repeatedly and don't want to get noticed by its regular denizens.

Pay parkings often charge a lot less for bikes and are worth looking into, especially if your bike stays near the attendant's booth
DominicDomingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 08:42 PM   #11
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,822
Don't leave anything in plain view in Europe; even if it's locked.
Old 03-23-2008, 11:37 AM   #12
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,121
Look up "Pacsafe". They make a line of expandable steel cable mesh bags that you can wrap around your stuff and lock it all to your bike.
Pictures, pictures and more pictures
MichaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 01:01 AM   #13
Jacqueslemac
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Ditto. I have an 85-litre Pacsafe that's big enough for my dry bag and jacket/trousers. I put my helmet through a shackle lock too.
Jacqueslemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 05:39 AM   #14
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,765
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo (& piglet)
I agree. You're trying to fix the problem from the wrong end. Start at the beginning. How can you avoid the problem to start with?

When I did my 10-week ride through North America, this was a concern of mine. I anticipated my bike being unattended quite often. I didn't want to leave stuff on it.

My packing rule was that everything had to fit inside my hard cases. I left space in my top case for my tank bag. There was (sometimes) even enough room to stuff my jacket in the top case. My helmet was the only item that didn't have a secure spot. I usually stored it under a bungee net so at least someone couldn't just walk by and snatch it.

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 03:54 PM   #15
on2wheels52
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,247
On my euro trip I used the cable & lock trick maybe three times when I was away from the bike for more than an hour. I wasn't in any major cities though. Cases were always locked if I left the bike. Would most agree there is less theft from a parked bike in europe than the US?
Jim
on2wheels52 is offline   Reply With Quote