Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2008, 07:23 PM   #136
NC Rick
Cogent Dynamics Inc

Oddometer: 598
Thank you folks! I really appreciate the input. It's cool, a little of me gets to go on these rides with you (That's not too weird is it?)

For a Super Moto, we would valve the shock a little differently, I have played with some of those settings, giving a better feel on the road and more of a "platform" so there is less shock movement when on the pavement.
NC Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 08:24 PM   #137
Ladd
Big Bad nOOb

Oddometer: 25
I have had my new Cogent shock on for about two weeks and put around 250 miles (2/3rds dirt) on the setup. I also have the emulators/spring (.46)up front. I have to agree with another poster that these upgrades make a greater difference than any other for the bike (airbox/jet/muffler/etc).

I have only ridden dirt forest roads and street so far. Some of these dirt roads have serious washboards that used to make the bike bounce and slow down. Now I can accelerate right over them! I also feel much more in control on all surfaces, especially dirt corners. I can't wait to get it on some of the OHV trails when they open this spring. The shocks rebound adjuster has a dramatic effect on the performance of the shock. Very noticable with only a couple of clicks.

I also had the opportunity to ride Rick and P-nuts bikes as I live in Asheville. Their bikes seemed to be a little more on the plush side and perhaps offered a little less feedback. I would describe mine as firm but very quick and compliant to hits. It is still more comfortable than the stocker on the overlaps/potholes but somehow manages to feel firmer. I think it is probably going to be perfect when I start riding the trails again soon. I had Rick set mine up a little more biased for off-road so that is probably the reason for the firmer feel. I am 165lbs and running the stock spring with very little preload.

I would not hesitate to recommend a shock upgrade from Cogent Dynamics. Rick and Joyce are very nice people and really want their customers to be happy.

I will update when I am able to get some trail time!

Ladd
Ladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 12:35 AM   #138
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,204
sent my shock today. rick needs them by the 28th!!!!!
he said this is last build till the fall and price is also going up. if you're thinking about it,
getter done or wait till next year.
http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=597205
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 12:24 PM   #139
Fubars
What would Scoobydo?

Oddometer: 1,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins
sent my shock today. rick needs them by the 28th!!!!!
he said this is last build till the fall and price is also going up.

And I've been thinking of buying a used DR.

Fubars screwed with this post 03-22-2008 at 01:59 PM
Fubars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 12:38 PM   #140
neepuk
Such a drag...

Oddometer: 1,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubars
And I've been thinking of buying one used.
It's a new product getting rave reviews... Probably not going to find a used one. Pull your shock off and get it in there on this batch. It'll be done before you know it.
Old 04-17-2008, 09:01 PM   #141
neepuk
Such a drag...

Oddometer: 1,534
Got my shock today. Put it on and went for a ride. On-Road only so far.... Damn, this thing is NICE! So smooth, so responsive.

Rick PM coming!
Old 06-02-2008, 06:15 AM   #142
NC Rick
Cogent Dynamics Inc

I spent a little time riding my DR a step beyond what it was intended for on this past Saturday and was really impressed by how well it "held the trail" at speed. I was chasing a couple good riders on a TE610 and an XR650. There are about 30 of the Cogent Dynamics modified shocks out there in the world, I would love to hear some feed back. Do I need to do more later this year? Take it to the next level and build a full replacement?
Old 06-02-2008, 07:05 AM   #143
lightfighter
where does this go?

Oddometer: 2,153
in what price range would a replacement be? i'd certainly be interested in having mine rebuilt this fall, i'd be interested in a drop in upgrade... the only thing that's stopped me thus far is not wanting to be bikeless for several weeks, (and economic timing).
lightfighter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 07:15 AM   #144
Jackazz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 815
Hey Rick,
I was out on my DR yesterday and ended up on some really tight mountain bike trails and some mild whoops and log crossings and the bike did great. Your rear shock is awesome, it's the forks that need work. I did the emulators and new springs and at speed they are ok but they are still kind of bouncy on slow tight stuff.
Your setup has alllowed me to have fun riding stuff that would have been more work with the stock suspension.
My 2 cent's, Tim
Jackazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 08:33 AM   #145
Fubars
What would Scoobydo?

Oddometer: 1,710
I've been pretty happy with my shock done since Rick did it. I've ridden the bike through everything/anything. The preload on the spring had 3 3/8" of sag when we measured it after installation, so I loosened the adjuster collar 2 full turns. Haven't messed with the rebound or compression adjusters at all. Nice job, Rick.
Fubars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 09:16 PM   #146
chrisp929
n00b

Oddometer: 3
i just have 3 questions ..

1. when is next batch being done?
2. how much for full set up for 230lb+ rider including anodizing and eibach spring upgrade for said weight ?
3. whats turn around time?

thanks
chrisp929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 06:16 PM   #147
NC Rick
Cogent Dynamics Inc

Thanks folks!

Not sure about the next batch, I was thinking people would not want their bikes down during the summer. I can do them when ever but I really need 6-7 of them to make the anodizing inexpensive.

$379 to "DO" the shock and $120 or $40 for anodizing (dependent on number of shocks).

I have new 7.4 Kg/mm springs for the modified shock at $93.

The full replacement adds a bunch because of the remote reservoir and triple adjustable set up. I guess We would be looking at something in the $750 range for a totally new shock
Old 07-03-2008, 02:50 PM   #148
ninja gwairf
B-D-S-R.

Oddometer: 66
Yup

Finally have the money to do this! A month later, any idea when the next batch is going to be? Thanks
Old 07-04-2008, 06:44 AM   #149
NC Rick
Cogent Dynamics Inc

Not really the time of year for a lot of people to have their bikes down for a bit. I did have one inquiry last week. Email me at raceparts (at) motocd (dot) com and I can start a list. I do have a shock I can do an exchange with but in needs to be anodized (if that is an option you would like.
Old 10-07-2008, 02:31 PM   #150
Lil' Steve
PussyWagon™ Chauffer

Oddometer: 3,798
time of the year yet?

Just trying to see if you're doing another batch anytime soon. Myself and perhaps another friend are interested.
Lil' Steve is offline   Reply With Quote