Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2011, 04:34 PM   #316
EvanADV
Big Bearded Boy

Oddometer: 1,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Rick View Post
We got a decent batch, A couple last second guys bailed due to high overnight shipping costs and such. no problems!
Yeah I was one of them, so once again I'll have to wait for the next batch!
First Trip on 2 Wheels. 10,000 miles. 21 years old.
NC to Maine for Lobster Dinner
EvanADV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 05:19 PM   #317
Semesa2
Bemused Newbie

Oddometer: 16
Shipping Costs

Thanks due to Rick and Silverwolf for trying to work this out!

Overnight shipping costs coast-to-coast are pretty amazing if you have not done this before If you are interested in the group build, it is best to subscribe to this thread, tracking the discussion so that you can ship at least five working days in advance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Rick View Post
We got a decent batch, A couple last second guys bailed due to high overnight shipping costs and such. no problems!
Old 09-06-2011, 02:06 PM   #318
GaThumper
Road Less Traveled

Oddometer: 515
I've just bought another DR650, had an '03 for a while and made the mistake of getting rid of it in the quest for the perfect dual sport. Realized later that the DR650 is a REALLY good 50/50 dual sport, so I sold my KLR and found a nice low mile white 2009.

Anyway, I just got off the phone with Rick @ Cogent Dynamics and I'm planning on getting my shock done pretty soon. He said it would be a good time to do another group buy if anyone is interested. He needs a minimum of four that wanted the AOL3 Ceramic coating to reduce the price for the coating from $125 to $45 per shock. Rick has one to do, mine would be number two, so just two more are needed. The price for the shock upgrade is $399. In the group buy the price for a new spring would probably be $80. Rick will need the shock for about three weeks if you get the coating.

You can read all about it here http://www.motocd.com/cd/index.php?o...d=55&Itemid=66

Check in here if you are interested and we'll come up with a plan and schedule if there is enough interest.

James <><

1996 Suzuki Intruder 1400 (for sale) 1987 Yamaha TT600 (for sale)
GaThumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 06:56 PM   #319
EvanADV
Big Bearded Boy

Oddometer: 1,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaThumper View Post
I've just bought another DR650, had an '03 for a while and made the mistake of getting rid of it in the quest for the perfect dual sport. Realized later that the DR650 is a REALLY good 50/50 dual sport, so I sold my KLR and found a nice low mile white 2009.

Anyway, I just got off the phone with Rick @ Cogent Dynamics and I'm planning on getting my shock done pretty soon. He said it would be a good time to do another group buy if anyone is interested. He needs a minimum of four that wanted the AOL3 Ceramic coating to reduce the price for the coating from $125 to $45 per shock. Rick has one to do, mine would be number two, so just two more are needed. The price for the shock upgrade is $399. In the group buy the price for a new spring would probably be $80. Rick will need the shock for about three weeks if you get the coating.

You can read all about it here http://www.motocd.com/cd/index.php?o...d=55&Itemid=66

Check in here if you are interested and we'll come up with a plan and schedule if there is enough interest.

James <><
I missed out last time. Interested in trying to jump in on this one if we can get enough people.
First Trip on 2 Wheels. 10,000 miles. 21 years old.
NC to Maine for Lobster Dinner
EvanADV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 04:14 PM   #320
GaThumper
Road Less Traveled

Quote:
Originally Posted by c2c4c View Post
I missed out last time. Interested in trying to jump in on this one if we can get enough people.
It looks like we'll have enough interest for this group buy to go forward. I've cross posted at the drriders forum and have one other person interested there. If the three of us are committed, that will be the minimum needed to get the break on the coating. There are 3-4 more over there interested in the upgrade, but not the coating. As long as we can get at least three of us to get the ceramic coating we will get the discounted price of $45.

I'm going to leave this out there for the rest of the week and into next week, then we need to agree on a schedule and make it so! Below text is cross posted on drriders.com

The DR shock has an aluminum body and I think the ceramic coating is a nice upgrade. In the stock shock the piston wears the aluminum body and particles of aluminum get suspended in the oil causing more wear. The mil-spec A0L3 ceramic coating penetrates the aluminum about 1/1000 and adds an additional 1/1000 resulting in a 2/1000 thick ceramic coating. The ceramic is really slick and really REALLY hard. This results in less friction, lower temperature, and much less wear. With the ceramic coating the shock will need servicing less often, probably paying for the coating in the first service. In my opinion it's a good upgrade, but I might have a hard time justifying it for $125. With the group buy it makes it much more palatable at $45.

Rick also offers us a $10 discount on the spring. If you need a heavier spring with your upgrade you get it for $80 instead of $90. If the bladder needs to be replaced it's an additional $25, but according to Rick this is not too common.

For this group buy Rick said anyone who wanted to get the Race Tech emulators and springs in addition to their shock would get a $20 discount on the emulators and springs.

We'll need to agree on a deadline for getting Rick the shocks since they all have to go to be anodized at the same time. And I'm sure we all want our shocks turned around as quickly as possible, so we don't want several shocks sitting around in North Carolina waiting on the last one to arrive.

I'll propose the following schedule as a sample, but it's open for duscussion by the participants. If we allow a week to get everybody on board who's interested we could ship by Friday, September 16th and they should all arrive at the shop by the following Friday the 23rd. (UPS estimates four days transit from Los Angeles to Cogent Dynamics in Fletcher NC) They could start tearing down all the shocks on the 26th and should be able to ship them out by the 7th. If things go well it could be a lttle sooner, but plan to receive your shock back the week of October 10th-14th depending on how far you are from NC.

PLEASE include a note with you shock with the following info.

Name and return shipping address
Your weight and type of riding (street, trails, motocross, etc)
Do you ride two up? Weight of 2nd rider and how often
Do you carry gear? How much and how often

All of this information will help Rick set your shock up for your weight and riding conditions. Feel free to provide more information about how YOU use YOUR buke and what you are looking for in the shock setup.

Here's the address to send the shocks.

Cogent Dynamics Inc.
33 Meadow Brook Drive
Fletcher NC 28732

Spring weights from the web site.

Riders weight recommended spring

150-180 lbs 6.8 Kg/mm,
180-215 lbs 7.1 Kg/mm,
215-225lbs 7.4 Kg/mm
225-240Lbs 7.6 KG/mm,
230-260Lbs 8.1 Kg/mm
over 260lbs 8.3 Kg/mm

I've seen nothing but good reports about the DR shock upgrade from Rick/Cogent Dynamics. I haven't had a chance to try a DR650 with his shock, but I bought the "Moab" shock from Rick for my KLR650 and it was amazing how much better it was than the stock shock or the Progressive shock that was on mine when I bought it. The KLR, as you know, is a bit more of a little piggy than the DR and Rick's shock was the best upgrade I did to mine. It was smooth and firm at the same time absorbing the biggest harshest bumps I threw at it while never bottoming out or kicking back. It made the KLR so smooth on fast forest service and jeep trails just soaking it all up. So I expect AT LEAST the same improvement on the DR and maybe more, since the DR650 is Rick's personal dual sport and he's put in many miles and a lot of time on R&D.

GaThumper screwed with this post 09-07-2011 at 04:25 PM
Old 09-07-2011, 05:23 PM   #321
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,776
Sorry for such a basic question (and to make sure I understand), but what is he doing for $399? You pay $399, plus $45 for the coating, $80 for the spring, total cost is $524 ($399, $45, $80) for the rear. And, you can purchase front springs and emulators with a $20 discount?

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 05:53 PM   #322
GaThumper
Road Less Traveled

Quote:
Originally Posted by acesandeights View Post
Sorry for such a basic question (and to make sure I understand), but what is he doing for $399? You pay $399, plus $45 for the coating, $80 for the spring, total cost is $524 ($399, $45, $80) for the rear. And, you can purchase front springs and emulators with a $20 discount?
Basically gutting the stock shock and replacing the internals. Details are on the web site and you can also learn a lot by reading through the 22 pages of this thread. This thread was started when the first prototypes were being built and follows through several group buys. Here's the link to the DR650 page on Cogent Dynamics web site.

http://motocd.com/cd/index.php?optio...d=55&Itemid=66

Fron the web site...

The Cogent Dynamics re-engineered DR650 shock has proven to be a very high performance modification that allows the DR650 to fulfill its potential on rough terrain and spirited pavement riding. As with all Cogent Dynamics dampers, we build each shock with a level of skill and passion that is unmatched in the industry. Component parts of the Cogent shocks are made in the USA from billet materials on high accuracy CNC machining by motorcycle enthusiasts. Our shocks are built to perform at a very high level and last. Cogent Dynamics shocks are not built to be inexpensive, they are built to be the very best we can build them.

Each shock built at Cogent Dynamics is performance tested on our state of the art diagnostic equipment. This extra step is only part of what we do to provide our customers with high quality and reliability.

We offer this upgrade to your stock body at $399 including parts and labor. An optional Mil-Spec hard coating (AOL3 Ceramic) is $125. This coating provides lower internal operating friction, lower temperatures, longer time between servicing as well as extending the longevity of the shock and reducing friction at the same time. We also offer a drop-in kit for DIY at only $295. This includes the same parts in a pre-assembled package.
Special pricing on the special hard coating may be available with group builds.We need to have your stock shock in our shop for about 2-3 weeks when the hard coating is being specified. The re-engineered shock comes back to you with new components including hard chrome shock shaft, High performance damper piston and valving, quad ring type seal head with DU bushing, wide range rebound bleed jet and needle and a mounting clevis with aluminum adjuster knob. Damping rates and progression is setup to provide the rider with the best possible ride, feel and performance.

Old 09-07-2011, 06:11 PM   #323
acesandeights
Asperger

I read that on their site some time ago, but it doesn’t say what they do. So, they gut the shock and replace the internals...with cottage cheese? Is it better than buying a Gold Valve kit, and why? Is it any different than what Ricor Racing builds, how? Why would you choose one over the other?

Old 09-07-2011, 07:14 PM   #324
UberKul
UberNoob

Oddometer: 106
Quote:
I read that on their site some time ago, but it doesn’t say what they do. So, they gut the shock and replace the internals...with cottage cheese? Is it better than buying a Gold Valve kit, and why? Is it any different than what Ricor Racing builds, how? Why would you choose one over the other?
My respectful advice would be contact the vendor and have him explain to you what his product does and what the costs are. GaThumper has provided some good sources of information regarding this product/group buy but we can't expect him to be the factory rep for Cogent Dynamics.
My guess is if you have not been considering this already this upgrade may not be for you. Unless you are having issues with your current suspension settings (and know what is lacking) pass on any upgrades until something is wrong.
Old 09-07-2011, 07:48 PM   #325
GaThumper
Road Less Traveled

Quote:
First, let me say I don't work for Cogent/Rick, am not profiting from this deal, and I'm just a satisfied customer. If you read through the thread here and elsewhere, I'm not the only one.

Did you read the first three pages of this thread? It seems to itemize all the differences and includes pictures of everything compared to stock and the Racetech gold valve. Cogent is a RaceTech dealer (as well as Ohlins) and would be glad to sell you either one. I'm not an expert on suspension and haven't tried or compared any of the DR alternatives. I'll scan through it and try to list the items that are replaced later.

I loved the Cogent shock on my KLR, have read many positive reviews of their DR shock and that's the one I've decided to buy. There are other options and I'm glad there are options. I'm sure all of them are working for some customers and there are probably some dissatified customers with each as well

If you haven't yet talked to Rick I'd suggest you give him a call? Their number is on their web site and I'm sure he would be glad to talk to you about the options. I met Rick and got to know him a few years ago through the KLR community and he and his wife wife Joyce are nice people running a small business. I like supporting small businesses and products that are designed and built in America. I really like being able to talk to the owner of the business and Rick seems to have a lot of knowledge about shocks and suspensions. Individual, personal, great customer service is a big part of my purchasing decisions and I think Cogent Dynamics has got it. I call, Joyce usually answers the phone, and if Rick is in the shop I talk to him, works for me.

Please Don't Shoot the Messenger! I just wanted a Cogent shock, saw this ongoing thread about the group pricing on the ceramic coating and gave Rick a call this week.

Old 09-07-2011, 07:57 PM   #326
GaThumper
Road Less Traveled

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberKul View Post
My respectful advice would be contact the vendor and have him explain to you what his product does and what the costs are. GaThumper has provided some good sources of information regarding this product/group buy but we can't expect him to be the factory rep for Cogent Dynamics.
My guess is if you have not been considering this already this upgrade may not be for you. Unless you are having issues with your current suspension settings (and know what is lacking) pass on any upgrades until something is wrong.
Good advice. You posted while I was busy composing! and you're right.

I would call Cogent, talk it over with Rick, discuss you're needs and see what advice he has for you. Suspension is very subjective, and VERY personal. It's almost as bad as discussing oil or tires! There are many right answers and not really any wrong ones. Some riders never even adjust the stock shocks and ride with big ol grins on their faces for years. I'm a heavy guy and have learned that updating or replacing the stock suspension makes a huge difference in my fun factor.

Keep trying to learn, I'm obsessively analytical myself and learn all I can when I try to decide what to do. I enjoy the journey and usually I'm happy with the results.

Old 09-07-2011, 09:01 PM   #327
GaThumper
Road Less Traveled

OK, so ever the obsessive analytical guy that I am, I've read through the first 12 pages and bounced it off the Cogent page and I think I have a pretty good handle on the changes. I'm sure I've missed and/or messed up something

everything is replaced except the shock body. (unless you keep the stock spring)
optional ride height adjustment available if needed
componenets are cnc machined from billet in the US of A
new hard chrome shaft
new piston and valving
new quad ring type head seal
added rebound adjuster
wide range rebound bleed jet and needle
new mounting clevis with aluminum rebound adjustor knob

when reading through the thread I found this comment from Rick about the RaceTech Gold Valve

A lower cost option that works very well is the RaceTech Gold Valve, I ran one of those for a couple years. They cost $169 but we discount them. installation from us is $85 (we are a RaceTech center). For the $379 we are offering our upgrade at, you get the rebound adjustability as well as a new seal head assembly that includes the shaft bushing and seals as well as a new shaft. Basically it is a new shock that is of very high quality. I don't want to let anything out of this shop that isn't at least excellent.

and a comment about the added adjustability of the Cogent shock

The RaceTech Valving can be adjusted by changing the internal shims. There is a bleed jet that can be changed too, All that, requires the removal disassembly of the shock. Therein lyes the reasoning for the external adjustment. The compression adjuster on our stock DR 650 shocks is quite limited in what it will do. By totally opening it up the spring tension that controls the blow off is basically gone and you get some more bleed for fluid traveling between the shock body and reservoir when the shock shaft enters the body. A real bleed control in the form of a needle jet with a knob controlling it ant the bottom clevis of the shock is what we have done on our new DR shock conversion, this GREATLY improves the adjustability of the shock. This adjustability is accessible at the side of the road or trail, just by using your fingers.

I'm still reading but I don't think there's anything else except discussion about the shocks, the group buys, etc.

I hope this helps someone else, it helped me understand more.

Old 09-07-2011, 09:52 PM   #328
Xplorr
hoi polloi

Oddometer: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaThumper View Post
If you haven't yet talked to Rick I'd suggest you give him a call? Their number is on their web site and I'm sure he would be glad to talk to you about the options.
Funny, I had a cogent shock on my klr, loved it. Wanted one for my dr, but they don't seem all that interested in selling me one. E-mailed, talked to Joyce on the phone--very nice; e-mailed, no word back. Cogent seems to do great work, but I'm not going to beg for their services. Good luck with the group buy, I'm sure you won't be disappointed once you finally get the shock.
Xplorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 08:31 AM   #329
acesandeights
Asperger

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberKul View Post
Sure each individual could contact the vendor with specific questions, but that kind of defeats the purpose of Internet forums. Seems reasonable to me to ask a basic question like mine in a thread related to the subject. Without expecting anyone here to be a factory rep, I would think again, it reasonable to know why people are getting in on a group buy. It can't be because we're all lemmings. There must be a reason these people want to choose the Cogent over another product. I'm interested in their reasoning, as well as product specifics, and you seldom get all that from a vendor.

I looked at Cogents site because I'm intereted in his product(s), but a re-post of his site doesn't explain more specifically what he does, or why someone might choose his product. All too often I read posts that tout a product and if you ask a question about why someone purchased it they get defensive instead of explaining why it was the best choice for them. If you know why it's the best for them, it might be the best for you/me, and if it's not, you can usually then determine why the next product might be a better/worse alternative. I was only trying to find out why someone would choose that product so I could make an informed decision. Making a decision based on, it'll transform your bike, doesn't do much for me. Asking a question like, what does he do for $399 seems like the most basic and reasonable question a consumer could (and should) ask. If you don't know the answer, just say so. It's not a loaded question.

THANK YOU GaThumper. I appreciate you doing the leg-work for me and posting that. That is what I thought you might already know off the top of your head because you were buying a Cogent shock. I did not mean for anyone to have to go to any more trouble than to either tell me what they already knew or tell me they didn't know. So, again, thanks for your post(s).

Old 09-08-2011, 09:41 AM   #330
GaThumper
Road Less Traveled

Quote:
Sure each individual could contact the vendor with specific questions, but that kind of defeats the purpose of Internet forums. Seems reasonable to me to ask a basic question like mine in a thread related to the subject. Without expecting anyone here to be a factory rep, I would think again, it reasonable to know why people are getting in on a group buy. It can't be because we're all lemmings. There must be a reason these people want to choose the Cogent over another product. I'm interested in their reasoning, as well as product specifics, and you seldom get all that from a vendor.

I looked at Cogents site because I'm intereted in his product(s), but a re-post of his site doesn't explain more specifically what he does, or why someone might choose his product. All too often I read posts that tout a product and if you ask a question about why someone purchased it they get defensive instead of explaining why it was the best choice for them. If you know why it's the best for them, it might be the best for you/me, and if it's not, you can usually then determine why the next product might be a better/worse alternative. I was only trying to find out why someone would choose that product so I could make an informed decision. Making a decision based on, it'll transform your bike, doesn't do much for me. Asking a question like, what does he do for $399 seems like the most basic and reasonable question a consumer could (and should) ask. If you don't know the answer, just say so. It's not a loaded question.

THANK YOU GaThumper. I appreciate you doing the leg-work for me and posting that. That is what I thought you might already know off the top of your head because you were buying a Cogent shock. I did not mean for anyone to have to go to any more trouble than to either tell me what they already knew or tell me they didn't know. So, again, thanks for your post(s).
No harm, no foul. I agree with your approach and I love the information sharing that we have in the forums, it's a GOOD thing! But if you can't get the information you need, do give Rick a call. I'm interested mainly on the basis of my experience with the Cogent shock on my KLR650. It worked really well and I'm confident that I'll be happy with the DR shock. Add that to many other happy Cogent DR customers and I'm not going to worry about any other options. The main issue for me is that I need a heavier spring and want to be sure the shock performs as well as possible with the heavier spring. Being able to adjust the rebound externally seems like a good idea, too. I'm sure a DR can be set up to work well with any of the available options.