Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2012, 12:46 PM   #436
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by dutch97501 View Post
So I put a 99 RM250 front end on my DR650 and now it steers like a chopper. I can tell just bouncing on the bike that the front is way stiffer than the rear. I see that some of the DR guys are changing the oil in the rear shock to 10wt and re springing the shock and calling it good. That's the cheapest option. I contacted most of the major shock shops and the only one that did not contact me back was Cognet Dynamics. Hyperpro offered a complete shock in the $600 range with a coupon for a free service at 30k. Wilbers offers 2 shocks starting at $960 and ending at $1090 depending on the level of trickery you want. I have bought everything from Ohlins to Hyperpro ESA in the past and have been happy. So does a guy just buy a new shock or have the stock one tricked out. If I buy a new shock I can pull it when I sell the bike and sell it and sell the shock in the flea market. Whats the best way to go?
i bought a used stock shock (~$100 on fleabay) that i was planning on sending to cogent for a rebuild. i ended up not going that route, cuz i got a good deal on a used awreddy rebuilt shock - race tech walving & eibach spring.

but, i would still consider going the cogent route if i were you - keep contacting cogent via fone or email - they will respond. if i were gonna go brand-new, i would go w/a hagon shock - you can get one for ~$400; best pricing i know for a well regarded brand new solution...

http://www.davequinnmotorcycles.com/

doug s.
doug s. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:28 AM   #437
dutch97501
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug s. View Post
i bought a used stock shock (~$100 on fleabay) that i was planning on sending to cogent for a rebuild. i ended up not going that route, cuz i got a good deal on a used awreddy rebuilt shock - race tech walving & eibach spring.

but, i would still consider going the cogent route if i were you - keep contacting cogent via fone or email - they will respond. if i were gonna go brand-new, i would go w/a hagon shock - you can get one for ~$400; best pricing i know for a well regarded brand new solution...

http://www.davequinnmotorcycles.com/

doug s.
I went over to the UKGSer forum and did a little reading on Hagon shocks. The guys over there have had seal failures on there shocks that Hagon has taken care of up to the 2 year mark. Everything I have read on the Cogent shock is good providing they contact me back. Normally shops take my money before they put me on ignore mode...lol.

dutch97501 screwed with this post 02-09-2012 at 12:30 PM
dutch97501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:10 AM   #438
OhioPT
Adventure Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,096
Quote:
I went over to the UKGSer forum and did a little reading on Hagon shocks. The guys over there have had seal failures on there shocks that Hagon has taken care of up to the 2 year mark. Everything I have read on the Cognet shock is good providing they contact me back. Normally shops take my money before they put me on ignore mode...lol.
They're a "mom and pop" operation and they get really busy at times. Just keep trying to call and you will eventually get a hold of Rick or Joyce. They are great folks to deal with. Oh, and don't bother e-mailing them. Phone is the best way.
OhioPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:13 AM   #439
dutch97501
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioPT View Post
They're a "mom and pop" operation and they get really busy at times. Just keep trying to call and you will eventually get a hold of Rick or Joyce. They are great folks to deal with. Oh, and don't bother e-mailing them. Phone is the best way.
Well I finally got a answer at Cogent yesterday and talked to Joyce. She said Rick would give me a call when he gets in.

Old 02-09-2012, 08:17 AM   #440
dutch97501
Gnarly Adventurer

I talked with Rick today and Cogent not only sounds like the best setup but is also the most affordable. I will be pulling my shock this afternoon and sending it off. He is trying to get enough shocks together to do a group buy at the coatings shop. He said he still has a few of the longer shock shafts on the shelf but when there gone there gone. They are now a Hyperpro dealer as well and are looking into the BMW ESA stuff.

Old 02-09-2012, 12:16 PM   #441
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,120
Quote:
I talked with Rick today and Cognet not only sounds like the best setup but is also the most affordable. I will be pulling my shock this afternoon and sending it off. He is trying to get enough shocks together to do a group buy at the coatings shop. He said he still has a few of the longer shock shafts on the shelf but when there gone there gone. They are now a Hyperpro dealer as well and are looking into the BMW ESA stuff.
Cogent.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:27 PM   #442
Paddle007
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 303
Finally

I finally had a decent ride today. I expected our gravel roads to be a wash but found them perfect. Not muddy just wet enough to stick it. Last week I finished off my 2008 YZF450 fork install. Couldn't wait to run the new suspension. There are a couple of berms that we use for a guage. It was either going to be good or bad feedback. Once I smacked that first berm I realized how badly I messed up. I have been trying to keep the right wrist action down in the interest of public safety and my well being. My DR flew like it had fooking wings. I've never stuck a landing that smoothly. Pray for me people
Paddle007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 08:55 AM   #443
EvanADV
Big Bearded Boy

Oddometer: 1,337
Anybody need a stock shock to send off for rebuild? I have an extra. PM me.
First Trip on 2 Wheels. 10,000 miles. 21 years old.
NC to Maine for Lobster Dinner
EvanADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 02:15 PM   #444
NC Rick
Cogent Dynamics Inc

Oddometer: 599
The present batch of 14 shocks is back here with the ceramic coating. It has been busy and we keep using up all the parts we make... I expect all the shocks that are here in our shop to be done before next week is out. We are waiting on another batch of seal heads but they were shipped to us today.

Take a look at a new option for upgrading DR shocks from Cogent:

We only made up a small batch of these spring preload adjusters but anyone who wants one can add it to the shock work for $28 (includes wrench). Thats an intro price...

Thanks a zillion!
NC Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 04:28 PM   #445
ram1000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,819
Quote:
So I put a 99 RM250 front end on my DR650 and now it steers like a chopper. I can tell just bouncing on the bike that the front is way stiffer than the rear. I see that some of the DR guys are changing the oil in the rear shock to 10wt and re springing the shock and calling it good. That's the cheapest option. I contacted most of the major shock shops and the only one that did not contact me back was Cogent Dynamics. Hyperpro offered a complete shock in the $600 range with a coupon for a free service at 30k. Wilbers offers 2 shocks starting at $960 and ending at $1090 depending on the level of trickery you want. I have bought everything from Ohlins to Hyperpro ESA in the past and have been happy. So does a guy just buy a new shock or have the stock one tricked out. If I buy a new shock I can pull it when I sell the bike and sell it and sell the shock in the flea market. Whats the best way to go?
Just a better shock will not solve your problems. I put a 450 RMZ fork assembly on mine and sent my shock off the Cogent. Rick not only rebuilt everything but added travel internally on the shock and added external eye to eye length to get the rear end up higher than would have been able with the stock eye to eye length. This combined with sliding the forks up into the triple clamps gave me the dirt bike turning geometry you need instead of having the chopper turning of a stock rear height shock. In order to get the longer shock to work I also had to grind the cast aluminum link where it would have touched the frame cross member at full extension of the shock. My bike now has something like 11+- inches in the rear and 12 in the front with a seat height of 36.5 inches when my springs are set to optimum sag. The bike is amazing over whoops for a 375lb. bike.

In this picture you can see the increased angle of the swing arm:
Old 08-07-2012, 10:22 AM   #446
40cu.in.of.furey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 224
when is the next group buy?
40cu.in.of.furey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 02:10 PM   #447
Fabone
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40cu.in.of.furey View Post
when is the next group buy?

Got off the phone with Joyce this morning. Rick is taking in orders now and so far he's got 6 for a run around the 27th. Next run looks like late fall or early winter.
Fabone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 04:45 AM   #448
wee-twin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
I am interested in getting in on the next group buy. I have never done the group buy thing so how do I ensure I do not miss this? Thanks.

Bill
wee-twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 05:21 AM   #449
GaThumper
Road Less Traveled

Oddometer: 512
Quote:
Originally Posted by wee-twin View Post
I am interested in getting in on the next group buy. I have never done the group buy thing so how do I ensure I do not miss this? Thanks.

Bill
Based on Fabone's post it looks like one is going down right now, with another one coming up this fall.

Just give Rick and Joyce a call at Cogent and let them know you want to get in on the group buy.

(828) 628-9025.

http://www.motocd.com/cd/

1996 Suzuki Intruder 1400 (for sale) 1987 Yamaha TT600 (for sale)
GaThumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 05:56 AM   #450
wee-twin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
Thanks, I will give them a call.
wee-twin is offline   Reply With Quote