Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2013, 07:48 PM   #481
Farkles
South America bound.

Oddometer: 53
I just sent out a shock (spare) to CD by way of some relatives who are visiting the US from Canada (save some shipping $$). We have yet to decide whether the shock will be rebuilt as standard or lowered which will only happen once the roads are clear of snow but we will be up for "the group buy" (ceramic coating) fairly shortly.

ADV: http://advrider.com/forumsa/showthread.php?t=931613
Site: t-c-mambo.ca
Farkles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:19 AM   #482
refokus
Just Learning

Oddometer: 2,271
It's been a month so I should be getting a shock back from CD soon. I emailed them and left a message for a status update. I will be ready to put the bike back together this weekend and the following weekend. I am ready to give this DR a try. I only rode it for ~3 miles before I tore it down to make some repairs and upgrades.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:15 PM   #483
Farkles
South America bound.

Anybody else ready to get a Cogent Dynamics rebuilt shock? As mentioned a couple of posts up, I have a shocking sitting a Cogent Dynamics waiting on a "group buy" for the ceramic coating? Anyone else in?

While this one is for my girlfriend, I already have a CG rebuilt shock on my own DR and and it seems great so far.

Adam
Old 04-07-2013, 09:17 PM   #484
refokus
Just Learning

Oddometer: 2,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farkles View Post
Anybody else ready to get a Cogent Dynamics rebuilt shock? As mentioned a couple of posts up, I have a shocking sitting a Cogent Dynamics waiting on a "group buy" for the ceramic coating? Anyone else in?

While this one is for my girlfriend, I already have a CG rebuilt shock on my own DR and and it seems great so far.

Adam
My shock should be here this Thursday..........I am ready to get this bike back together and to go for a ride..............
Old 04-07-2013, 09:19 PM   #485
JagLite
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,052
Cool2 Cogent at ProCycle

Notice that ProCycle is now selling Cogent shocks and rebuild kits?
James
JagLite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:30 PM   #486
RamMan4x4
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
I spoke to Rick this week about a possible group buy on his DR650 rear shock upgrade with the ceramic coating option. The coating is regularly priced at $125 but the price drops dramatically to $45 if the coating is done in batches. Right now he needs 4 more (only 3 more counting me) shocks to get the coating discount. As an added incentive, he's also agreed to drop $10 off the optional adjuster "bling" ring which replaces the stock two adjuster rings with a CNC aluminum ring that uses a spanner wrench to adjust.

Prices: (Note the prices on their website are out of date...these are the most up to date prices)
- Shock upgrade: $434
- Ceramic Coating option: +$45 w/ group buy (Regularly +$125)
- New Spring: +$90
- Adjuster Ring: +$28 w/ group buy (regularly +$38)
- Time: ~2-3 weeks once all shocks arrive

The deal gets even better if we get 6 shocks in the group buy. If you need/want an updated rear spring the price will drop by $10 and you can also get a $20 discount on a front spring/Race Tech Emulator package...sorry, but I'm not sure what his prices are for this at the moment.

There is also a DIY kit for the rear shock for $335, but this group buy is about getting the discount for the ceramic coating option. Here are the details for the ceramic coating option (blatantly stolen from GaThumper in the last CD group buy):

The DR shock has an aluminum body and I think the ceramic coating is a nice upgrade. In the stock shock the piston wears the aluminum body and particles of aluminum get suspended in the oil causing more wear. The mil-spec A0L3 ceramic coating penetrates the aluminum about 1/1000 and adds an additional 1/1000 resulting in a 2/1000 thick ceramic coating. The ceramic is really slick and really REALLY hard. This results in less friction, lower temperature, and much less wear. With the ceramic coating the shock will need servicing less often, probably paying for the coating in the first service. In my opinion it's a good upgrade, but I might have a hard time justifying it for $125. With the group buy it makes it much more palatable at $45.

Disclaimer: I do not work for Cogent Dynamics nor will I benefit from this group buy..other than the discounted coating that everyone else that participates will get
RamMan4x4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:31 PM   #487
RamMan4x4
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farkles View Post

Adam
Farkles, you must be one of the owners of the two shocks Rick mentioned were waiting on the coating option. Hopefully we can get some interest in this group buy and get it done sooner.

RamMan4x4 screwed with this post 04-25-2013 at 09:37 PM
RamMan4x4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:43 PM   #488
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,726
The jury is still out. I only have 30,646 miles on my Cogent shock.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:32 AM   #489
Farkles
South America bound.

I don't have anything in queue. Joyce called me a few weeks back to let me know that my shock was finished. I thought I was waiting on a group buy but it sounds like enough shocks showed up outside of this thread and mine was just added to the batch. Surprise to me but a bonus.

ADV: http://advrider.com/forumsa/showthread.php?t=931613
Site: t-c-mambo.ca
Old 05-10-2013, 08:06 AM   #490
! Danimal !
--Dan--

Oddometer: 129
Ok so I have about 2000 miles on my rebuilt/lowered Cogent shock, front end springs and emulators and couldn't be more pleased. Thank you guys again for the work that you do, I LOVE my bike even more now than I did :)

I will reiterate, what many have said before, that this absolutely TRANSFORMS the handling of the DR!

Any specific questions or for more detailed analysis feel free to PM me

-Dan
! Danimal ! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:03 PM   #491
vwtoby
n00b

Oddometer: 8
any chance of another group buy?
vwtoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:23 AM   #492
NC Rick
Cogent Dynamics Inc

Oddometer: 612
There is always a chance for a group build for the DR650 shocks!

We just finished a build but we do have one other shock in the cue at this time, yours would be 2. We really need 4-5 as a minimum to save on the coating. If we can get a few more folks interested, we could get a build going.

Please keep in mind: the group build is only a real advantage when you want to save on the ceramic coating. With out that, we can do the upgrade right away. Other Cogent options include the total replacement shock Mojave that is now available from Cogent Dynamics, ProCycle have our converted shocks available in an exchange program, and when you are ready, check with us as we sometimes have an exchange shock available. ProCycle also have our Movave shocks available.

We have just completed a project for the new Cogent DDC (Drop in Damper Cartridge) for the DR forks and have these ready to ship now, they are awesome, the biggest bang for the buck in fork performance! That project took up a lot of my personal time over the past 6 months.

USMC, thank you so much for your business as well as for the kind words! Improving our customers motorcycling experience is what makes us happy!

NC Rick screwed with this post 06-26-2013 at 08:28 AM Reason: C
NC Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 12:04 PM   #493
techgeek
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
any more group buys coming up?

I'm looking to upgrade my rear shock/spring as well as front fork springs with DDC..

is there anything in the works?
techgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 12:06 PM   #494
Not Dave
I smell bacon

Oddometer: 192
After our house sells and we get some funds in the checking account I'll be sending my rear shock off to Rick for a rebuild and anodizing. House closes on/around April 30th so sometime in May (I know, riding season). I have a street bike too so will have to live with it for a month or however long it takes. Maybe I can wait until a group buy shows up. Will check the DR boards...