User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2008, 10:07 AM   #106
eyedragaknee
McGuyver

Oddometer: 2,317
DR shock

I'm getting one build for a lowered 2007 and will post how it works when I get it mounted. I can probably already guess what I will say.
eyedragaknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 11:52 AM   #107
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navaho
Good info. I am finding my RT shock so stiff, I have to adjust the compression to the softest setting. Raceworks in Louisiana did mine but it was his first DR650.
I had a race tech guy in chico do my DR shock and the reccomended race tech settings were way too stiff,very buckboard like but good for double jumping. He revalved it 2 more times at no cost,going a fair amount softer every time and it works pretty darn good now for a street oriented 350 lb pig bike. Seems like a big bike to try to get serious in the dirt on. But I am a long time single track two stroke rider so I may be biased.It worked really well out at death valley as long as I wasnt in the dreaded deep gravel bed full of big sharp rocks,the ft end seemed to plow and not steer much in the deep stuff. A knobbie in the back would have helped to get it up to speed and planing.
Foot dragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 05:22 PM   #108
meanstrk
broke ass knee dragger

Oddometer: 217
Here is another review update........

This evening on the way home, I noticed a couple things:

1. My previous statement about not feeling anything on, in, over, whatever, the road, is not entirely accurate. I still feel bumps and crap, but only once! My front end is still stock, and I feel the bumps from the front, but the shock makes em just disappear out back! Amazing!

2. It use to be that when running a set of switchback type twisties, that the suspension would load up and unload pretty drastically. In other words, the suspension would suck up in the corners, to the point of bottoming out, and then unload pretty bad out of the corner, and in a quick set of twisties, this unsettles the bike a bit, but now? This thing is stable as a rock in the rear! No drastic changes. No big time unloading or bottoming out!

Now, after dropping Rick a line earlier, he confessed to me that he set mine up a little stiffer than most others since he knows my riding style, which is very aggressive. My recommendation would be to talk to the man and let him know your riding style so he can taylor the valving to your specs. In my case, he set this thing up just right, right out of the box!

I also hit a couple trail sections on the way home and am happy to report that the bike seemed very well behaved there as well, but to be honest, I am recovering from knee surgery and am not aggressive at all in dirt right now. More of a stand up and ride the trails type of style at the moment, but it handled very nicely and was not abrupt in any way!
USDesmo #845
Nesba #45
Check out my paint work! www.trading-paint.com
meanstrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 05:49 PM   #109
Lil' Steve
PussyWagon™ Chauffer

Oddometer: 3,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyedragaknee
I'm getting one build for a lowered 2007 and will post how it works when I get it mounted. I can probably already guess what I will say.
So the ride height adjustment can lower the bike to equal the stock shock's lowered height setting ? That'd be cool because I dont ever see myself using the bike in the stock height setting. Unless I go to Korea and have that leg extending surgery I've heard about
Lil' Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 08:52 AM   #110
hammockman
Always Lost!

Oddometer: 124
Private Message Sent

Private Message Sent
hammockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 08:09 AM   #111
NC Rick
Cogent Dynamics Inc

Oddometer: 598
Thanks for the kind words Meansrk and thank you for the business!
Eyedragaknee, your stuff is under control!

VFR870, the stock shock has a high and low position, selected by the two holes (overall length) and flipping the spring clip (shock stroke). For me to provide the shorter stroke, I must shorten the shock shaft. On either version of the shock, the ride height adjuster only provides a VERY small range of shortening but will lengthen either. The short version can be returned to close to the stock ride height and the long version can be raised by an inch or so. The shock stroke can only be changed by opening up the shock so to convert a short shock to a full travel long shock it is likely that the shock will need to be returned to our shop. To add further clarification: the Cogent shock has the same stroke and length as the stock shock in either configuration but you loose the ability to fully convert it in your garage (at least for most people).
NC Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 08:45 AM   #112
Lil' Steve
PussyWagon™ Chauffer

Oddometer: 3,798
Thanks for the info/clarification, Rick. My (lack of) off-road skills cant outride the stock shock yet but I plan on using the DR for longer road trips as well and I'm sure your shock will help with a loaded bike in the twisties. Your shock is on the short list of mods I'll get to as soon as my pocket allows

Steve
Lil' Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 04:34 PM   #113
hammockman
Always Lost!

Oddometer: 124
Rick sent you another private message

Rick, I sent you another Private Message about getting a shock built.
Thanks,
Mark
hammockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 09:36 AM   #114
Jackazz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 815
My shocks at cogent right now, any more reviews while my bikes down and out would be cool.
"T"
Jackazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 03:34 PM   #115
darmahman
"Illogically Deluded"

Oddometer: 2,757
Cogent shock

Got the rebuilt Cogent rear shock from Rick in N.C. today and put it on my old DR 650(I sold it to my friend a couple of months ago).

Rick did a great job. The bike now has a very good rear suspension. IMHO this is the way to go with the rear shock for the DR. Now I wish I wouldn't have sold her!
darmahman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 08:08 AM   #116
Wizard
Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 72
Okay, anybody else have any first hand experience with this shock? Just picked up a 2000 DR650 and want to get some suspension work done!!

Thanks,
Jim
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 08:42 AM   #117
P-nut OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard
Okay, anybody else have any first hand experience with this shock? Just picked up a 2000 DR650 and want to get some suspension work done!!

Thanks,
Jim
I love mine. I weigh 185 lbs and it works fantastic.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:04 AM   #118
Wizard
Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 72
Thanks P-Nut. Now just need to get a few more people to send their shocks in so NC Rick can get another batch going so I can enjoy one!!

Thanks,
Jim
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 10:30 AM   #119
lightfighter
where does this go?

Oddometer: 2,153
pm sent to the builder...
lightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 11:58 AM   #120
switchback
Eatin' Dirt Since 1982