User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2008, 08:58 PM   #121
neepuk
Such a drag...

Oddometer: 1,543
Looking for some more feedback...

Well it's been decided that I am definitely getting one of these shocks soon. Right now I'm running a freshly rebuilt and revalved stock shock with the Eibach 7.6kg(I think) spring.
Currently the shock I'm running works far better than stock and keeps the tire in contact with most ground surfaces at most speeds, but it's not plush... I want fast, great control, and plush...
In hopes of achieving what I'm looking for I'm trusting the professional (Rick) and going back to the stock spring with the Cogent Shock. From all I've read so far I'll be happy with this decision.
I weigh around 180, ride pretty hard but not a motocrosser, start every day with 5 gallons of fuel, often carry soft-bags, atgatt....

Any feedback from you guys that are already running the shock would be appreciated?

Not looking for a brawl here over suspension concepts, just real feedback.
neepuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 11:25 PM   #122
lightfighter
where does this go?

Oddometer: 2,189
i wish i could order one up but happily, my son wants to start riding, so my quarterly slush fund is going to buy him a bike instead of new shctuff for my toys. happy happy!!!!
lightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 06:26 PM   #123
meanstrk
broke ass knee dragger

Oddometer: 217
You can look back over the last couple pages and see my remarks on my shock. Bottom line is I love it! I am close to your weight and went with the stock spring and have zero complaints! I ride mostly street and Rick taylored it to my riding style and it just plain WORKS!
USDesmo #845
Nesba #45
Check out my paint work! www.trading-paint.com
meanstrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 07:06 PM   #124
neepuk
Such a drag...

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanstrk
You can look back over the last couple pages and see my remarks on my shock. Bottom line is I love it! I am close to your weight and went with the stock spring and have zero complaints! I ride mostly street and Rick taylored it to my riding style and it just plain WORKS!
Thanks Meany,
I've been reading your posts. Hoping to get some "dirt" feedback too. These things are still really new and most guys don't have too many miles on them yet. Just posed the question to get some feedback from the guys that are out taking their first rides on them this weekend.
Tap, tap, tap.... this thing on?
Old 03-10-2008, 07:21 PM   #125
NC Rick
Cogent Dynamics Inc

Oddometer: 599
I have been sitting on the last batch of DR shocks because of some parts supply issues. I had expected to have all the shocks built and shipped back to their owners by this past Friday but failed. We have all the parts and most of the shocks are ready to ship. I have one or two guys to call yet to be sure to get the set up correct. Every shock will be done by tomorrow providing I get to talk to everyone. A couple shipped Friday and a couple more shipped today. Once these are all back to their respective homes, the call for a next build will go out.

I know that P-Nut Ladd and I did a perty fair test a week ago Sunday running the ACME Dual Sport ride here in the hills. Lotsa smiles. I'd say we got it.
NC Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 03:55 AM   #126
Brendan J
ONE HACK AT A TIME

Oddometer: 1,485
Rick after my phone call with you today I posted a new thread here in Oz and seems there maybe a few interested in the upgrade I know I still am.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=319920

If you want to answer any question the guys feel free !!!

Kind Regards - Brendan
Brendan J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 12:22 PM   #127
switchback
Eatin' Dirt Since 1982

Oddometer: 1,484
I just returned from the Kokopelli Trail Gathering in Moab, UT this past weekend. The bike is freshly set up with a Cogent Dynamics Shock with the stock spring and race tech springs/emulators up front. I weigh in at around 215 lbs without gear.

Through the ride I encountered washouts in the road at 30+mph, rocks, ledges, freeway, twisties, stream crossings, sand, mud, and about anything els you can think of.

First of all I have to say that these are the best mods I have done to any bike. Throughout the ride the bike was planted and soaked up every obstacle. I used just about every inch of suspension through the ride but never bottomed. Even the abrupt square edged ditches (many areas where 2 feet of the road was suddenly missing) at higher speeds were handled well. Rock ledges and loose rock were soaked up with no deflection. During the entire ride the only thing that limited my traction was my 50/50 tires and high air pressure (never did air down). Total for the shock, fork springs, and RT emulators was ~$680. Not bad for suspension that works!

Wind is strong and cold
Rain blurs the winding road ahead
I live on two wheels
switchback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 02:43 PM   #128
neepuk
Such a drag...

I just talked to Rick a few minutes ago. For those of you about to get your shocks rebuilt: SEND THEM IN SOON PLEASE! He's ready for another batch and waiting on business to send some bodys out for Hard Coating. Mine won't go out for coating until some others get there too. Please send your shocks. BUY THE UPGRADE PLEASE.
Old 03-17-2008, 04:02 PM   #129
Jackazz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 816
Switchback, I just recieved my shock/springs and emulators Fri and went out Sat and have about the same review, of all the mods I have done to this bike; airbox, pipe and rejet ect., this is the only mod that truely lets me ride faster off-road. The suspension makes the other mods worthwhile, if I was to start over again I would start with the suspension.
"T"

Quote:
Originally Posted by switchback
I just returned from the Kokopelli Trail Gathering in Moab, UT this past weekend. The bike is freshly set up with a Cogent Dynamics Shock with the stock spring and race tech springs/emulators up front. I weigh in at around 215 lbs without gear.

Through the ride I encountered washouts in the road at 30+mph, rocks, ledges, freeway, twisties, stream crossings, sand, mud, and about anything els you can think of.

First of all I have to say that these are the best mods I have done to any bike. Throughout the ride the bike was planted and soaked up every obstacle. I used just about every inch of suspension through the ride but never bottomed. Even the abrupt square edged ditches (many areas where 2 feet of the road was suddenly missing) at higher speeds were handled well. Rock ledges and loose rock were soaked up with no deflection. During the entire ride the only thing that limited my traction was my 50/50 tires and high air pressure (never did air down). Total for the shock, fork springs, and RT emulators was ~$680. Not bad for suspension that works!
Jackazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 09:41 AM   #130
craigman
Lost in the woods

Oddometer: 444
Quote:

Switchback, I am also considering a complete suspension upgrade for my 06 dr650. By far the suspension is the worst thing about the bike. I plan on starting with that as my first step towards a super/moto, off-road, commuter bike.

Did you convert the front to cartridge? If not and it works that would be great for me.

$680 for a complete suspension upgrade is not bad at all. What was the turn around for that much work?

I weigh about 220 so I'm thinking your settings would work for me. Is it asking too much if you could list them in greater detail? Spring rates just for future reference.Thanks!
craigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 10:25 AM   #131
neepuk
Such a drag...

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigman
Switchback, I am also considering a complete suspension upgrade for my 06 dr650. By far the suspension is the worst thing about the bike. I plan on starting with that as my first step towards a super/moto, off-road, commuter bike.

Did you convert the front to cartridge? If not and it works that would be great for me.

$680 for a complete suspension upgrade is not bad at all. What was the turn around for that much work?

I weigh about 220 so I'm thinking your settings would work for me. Is it asking too much if you could list them in greater detail? Spring rates just for future reference.Thanks!

Do It. I converted my front end to the Race-Tech Emulators with Eibach 48 kg Springs a few months ago and it made all the difference in the world. I've jumped this bike, been riding in Death Valley and just generally beat up on it pretty good since the conversion and I've not bottomed it out once yet. I also put on the rear Eibach spring and had my shock rebuilt and serviced. If anything, the set-up is a little too stiff as it is and I need to soften it up.
I'm getting one of Rick's rebuilds done on this build and going back to the stock spring with his rebuild...
Pull your shock off your bike and get that thing in to Rick now and you should be ready to ride in a little over a week. He does them in batches so that we can all get a good deal on the Hard-Coating and he's usually got springs and emulators in stock.
At your weight, you could actually use the stock spring in the rear but you're right at the top-end of the range... Talk to Rick and see what he'd recommend.
Old 03-18-2008, 01:00 PM   #132
craigman
Lost in the woods

Oddometer: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by neepuk
Do It. I converted my front end to the Race-Tech Emulators with Eibach 48 kg Springs a few months ago and it made all the difference in the world. I've jumped this bike, been riding in Death Valley and just generally beat up on it pretty good since the conversion and I've not bottomed it out once yet. I also put on the rear Eibach spring and had my shock rebuilt and serviced. If anything, the set-up is a little too stiff as it is and I need to soften it up.
I'm getting one of Rick's rebuilds done on this build and going back to the stock spring with his rebuild...
Pull your shock off your bike and get that thing in to Rick now and you should be ready to ride in a little over a week. He does them in batches so that we can all get a good deal on the Hard-Coating and he's usually got springs and emulators in stock.
At your weight, you could actually use the stock spring in the rear but you're right at the top-end of the range... Talk to Rick and see what he'd recommend.
Thanks Neepuk.

It's been a long winter wish I had this done already. If I start boxing up parts then the front forks are getting sent also.
craigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 08:53 AM   #133
switchback
Eatin' Dirt Since 1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigman

I had the shock rebuilt by Cogent and ordered the RT emulators and springs from cogent for a self install. The $680 price does not include labor for the forks as I did that myself. I had to buy an impact wrench to disassemble the fork so that may be an added expense. I used .46KG fork springs.

Wind is strong and cold
I live on two wheels
Old 03-19-2008, 10:01 AM   #134
Eugene
-

Oddometer: 1,135
Quote:
I had the shock rebuilt by Cogent and ordered the RT emulators and springs from cogent for a self install. The $680 price does not include labor for the forks as I did that myself. I had to buy an impact wrench to disassemble the fork so that may be an added expense. I used .46KG fork springs.
Actually, a 3/4" threaded rod and 2 big nuts will do the trick as a damper rod holder. Total from Home Depot was around $6 and some change. It was easy that way. The nuts are around 1 1/2" across.

I got my shock back and installed. I just need to fill my forks with oil and slap the springs/spacers in. Unfortunately I did something to my shoulder/back. It's been feeling a little better each day so hopefully I'll be able to get the forks done and give it a test ride sometime this weekend.
Eugene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 10:40 AM   #135
switchback
Eatin' Dirt Since 1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene
Actually, a 3/4" threaded rod and 2 big nuts will do the trick as a damper rod holder. Total from Home Depot was around $6 and some change. It was easy that way. The nuts are around 1 1/2" across.

I got my shock back and installed. I just need to fill my forks with oil and slap the springs/spacers in. Unfortunately I did something to my shoulder/back. It's been feeling a little better each day so hopefully I'll be able to get the forks done and give it a test ride sometime this weekend.
Great tip!

Wind is strong and cold
I live on two wheels