User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2008, 11:00 PM   #1
Wheedle OP
I love inflatable fun!

Oddometer: 3,772
Planning a rockies trip late summer early fall 08

Thinking about taking two full weeks late summer / early fall 08 and heading out to the Rockies. I was thinking about heading back out through the ozarks again, then over near Santa Fe and turning north into Colorado. Id like to hit a little of Wyoming, Idaho, and Utah while Im at it. What are the must sees and must rides. I want to minimize interstate running, and stay on the relative cheap... camping out some also. So... where do y'all recommend going. Anyone got a couch I can borrow too?

Life is short, Enjoy the ride!
- Todd Phillips
Ride in peace brother.....
Wheedle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 05:40 AM   #2
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
Post this in the Rockies Regional Forum.
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 11:38 AM   #3
Bonebag
ADDvrider

Oddometer: 5,370
A couch may be pushing it a bit...especially with motorbike travel and it's need for flexible scheduling. Check the Tent Space list and that will help. You can find camping all over the place but never count on a small town to have available accomodations..that will bite you in the ass and you'll end up sleeping in a parking lot if you don't plan to bring camping gear... Anywhere you ride in the rockies will be amazing and you will not be dissapointed. I'd pick out two or three must see places for yourself and just wing it with the rest....you'll be more relaxed and your travel will be more natural feeling. Just leave on your planned date and let the world unfold for you. Also..make sure you give yourself a couple two or three extra unplanned days beyond your planned home arrival date just in case you run into mechanical/weather/booze/women problems I'm not kidding
Bonebag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 01:01 PM   #4
enduro-ince
dirtslave

Oddometer: 4,947
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonebag
A couch may be pushing it a bit...

Might be a little tough fittin it on the bike too.
enduro-ince is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 10:02 AM   #5
Bonebag
ADDvrider

Oddometer: 5,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by enduro-ince
Might be a little tough fittin it on the bike too.
Bonebag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 11:57 AM   #6
Oldwin1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,500
Trip planning

For some reason it seem the Rocky Mountain forum is the only ones who go completely over the top helping people plan their trip. Throw out the dates things you want to see. Dirt, Gravel or pavement? Don't worry about finding places to stay. If you have camping gear most of Colorado is national forest. Must do pavement rides are probably from Santa Fe go towards Taos. Then maybe wander your way to Chama. Good coffee place in Chama by the steam train. Then maybe Pagosa Springs. I am not a big fan of these hot springs since there are less expensive places so keep going to Durango. If you want you can make the entire trip a hot springs tour though. That would be a different request. Highway 550 is definately a must. If you can time it right I like to stay in either Silverton or Ouray. From there you can go to Telluride then either north west towards Grand Junction or up through Black Canyon or east towards Salida/Buena Vista. If you go to Salida look up Hayduke and buy a T-shirt. Seems like everyone does. I would probably go towards Grand Mesa instead. If you have the time go through Aspen. It is nice in the summer. This would be a side trip though. I would then go north. If you want a great scenic well maintained gravel road you can go from Meeker to Yampa through the flat tops. It doesn't show up very well on the map but it is easy to follow. Then jog south and make certain you go over Gore pass. See this is the problem I am going to give you a months worth of riding. Look at this and tell me what looks good. Post on the Rocky Mountain forum and throw out some specifics. We can keep you on dirt for the whole two weeks if you want.
Ron
Oldwin1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 06:21 PM   #7
SirWrecksAlot
Slowventurer

Oddometer: 10,515
+1 for Ouray area!

Posted in the Rockies forum may be better.

From the Gunnison south even past Silverton is pretty awesome. Highly recommend Orvis Hot Springs just south of Ridgway. Great place, but you'll need reservations. The wife and I found awesome forest roads everywhere. Awesome views are abundant. Hell, I wanted to stay another 2 weeks after I bought a Gazetteer map!!

Pick a general area and give it hell. You probably won't have to sleep in the parking lot unless you get as drunk as I did.
Good luck!
Adam
SirWrecksAlot is online now   Reply With Quote