User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2008, 09:26 AM   #31
Charles Seguin
Noob4Life

Oddometer: 521
Thumb

Nice pics and posts.... keep 'em coming.
Old 01-20-2008, 11:04 AM   #32
nerudarider
nerudarider

Oddometer: 327
This is an awesome ride!

I wish you all the luck for you guys along your voyage!
Historical Balkan - Istanbul to Stockholm via Belgrade, Budapest and Warsaw 2007
Tatar Rush from Trakai to Yalta to Istanbul 2007
Turkish Coastline - Riding in the Aegean and Mediterranean Coastline 2007
Heaven at the Gates of Hell - Chapadas in tropical Brazil 2008
nerudarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 01:55 PM   #33
eddie98
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 625
Here are a few more pics of Lake Atitlan. I was there last spring break to visit my family. There is a trip in the works to ride down there. I cannot wait to ride down there in a bike.
If you don't mind sharing the routes you took thru mexico would be great.
Be safe.

Traffic is a nightmare and like he said, the diesel fumes are all over the place.
Watch out for oncoming traffic :)

cars packed with one too many people.

eddie98 screwed with this post 01-22-2008 at 07:56 PM
eddie98 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 03:50 PM   #34
Uncle Pollo
happy cachiporra

Oddometer: 47,396
Uncle Pollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 01:27 PM   #35
2betterthan4
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaman
Why hasn't Ian explained the whole How Max And Barb Happened To Ride Together thing?

Quote:
From way back in October- this is how our riding together got started.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=277719

Advrider... bringing lunatics together and helping to shrink the world!
Hey Bananaman,

Thanks for all the pics and regular updates!

I didn't fully know how you and Barbara met up until I saw your posting with the link (above). When I saw her before she left she was still going solo. Her first update email said she met up with you in TX. I then checked advrider and found this trip report. Earlier, I let Gadget Boy know (offline) that you two had just met and were not a couple.

Barbara had been planning this trip for a long time. She originally had other people interested in doing the trip with her. As the "go" time approached they dropped off until it was just her.

Sometimes you have to take that scary step into the unknown alone. Then you find that others are there when needed and it all works out. Advrider is great spot for fellow wanderers to meet.

It's good to hear that your bike is fixed and Barbara was able to catch up amid the chaos.

I look forward to your next update.

Ian
2betterthan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 03:52 PM   #36
LaOutbackTrail
Certified Smartass

Oddometer: 5,058
Nice report Bananaman! Counting the days till my departure.

LaOutbackTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 05:10 PM   #37
Bartbert
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Great Stuff!!

You guys are living my dream.
Keep up the posts and photo's.
I wish you the best of luck for a safe and awesome ride.
(Taking notes for my trip in Oct. '08)

Bartbert
Bartbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 05:44 PM   #38
bananaman OP
transcontimental

Oddometer: 6,458
Choloteca, Honduras. Several hours of border crossing from El Salvador. Very good riding in El Salvador. Places that have seen zero riders, almost no gringos. Some more bike trouble- thought it was serious, ended up being a loose battery cable, but it took several hours to diagnose (since there was no way, thought I, that it could be something as simple as a loose battery cable!). Tons of photos but they´re going to have to wait because I´ve got very limited internet here. On to Nicaragua tomorow, but neither of us are looking forward to the border crossing.

We found an amazing spot in El Salvador. Too bad we only spent one night. It was a good place to have the bike pretend to break, though!

Also I would like to amend my commendation of the Guatemala City BMW dealership. They broke my gps mount, left a washer off the hand-guard, and screwed up the entire throttle. I can go, but the whole thing is loose by about half an inch, and the throttle lock does not work at all. Incompetence, if you ask me.
bananaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 07:10 AM   #39
bananaman OP
transcontimental

Granada, Nicargua.

Last night at the first annual Nicargua Adventure Rider Meeting we decided that henceforth all advrider meetings will be held in exotic locations. Attending and voting and declaring themselves slightly buzzed were myself, Topaz69, Salcar, JDinfinity, and Larose. In celebration we ate fish-cheeks. Yum. (I had no idea that I love fish-cheeks. I had only read about them in childrens´books.)

Right now our bikes are parked on an island inside the hostel. Trick riding to get over the curb. Ok, so JD and Larose just kind of picked up their bikes, but me, Salcar, and Topaz69- we had to ride ours and it was a nice little bump. I can still smell my clutch.

Getting here- the last few days were ADVENTURE! El Salvador, Honduras, and Nicaragua... Amazing. I need to come back and spend a lifetime exploring. Or I could just become a fisherman, live on the beach, spend my time in a hammock... eat fish-cheeks...

Crossing into Honduras sucks. Vultures- we were swamed by ''helpers,'' I call them vultures. They grabbed at us, grabbed our bikes, almost knocked me down. I had to shut off the bike and threaten to actually murder one of them. That worked.

It took forever to get into Honduras. You need to hire a corrupt 'ayudante.' Salcar has advice for how to do it. I'll repeat it later.

I got pulled over by a naughty Nicaraguan cop. I talked my way out of it. In case talking didn't work, I was prepared to ride away. I had given him an expired drivers license. I was thinking that if he kept it, I'd only have two throw-away licenses left. Which would mean having to find a decent copy-shop so I could fake a few more.

We saw cows on the road. Cows on the road? That's old. They have cows on the road in Wisconsin. Wait. These were COWS ON THE ROAD. Cowboys pushing their cows and using the entire road to push entire herds for miles and miles. This is like all the time. You'll be riding, and then COWS! and then you have to worry about getting pooped on. Cows, as you might know, have no manners. In the heirarchy of who-hates-motorcycles-most, cows are superior to taxis and chicken-buses. I did not know that I was going to have to learn how to quickly identify the bull, the alpha-cow, and the frolicking-calfs. The perfect line? Try to tuck in behind the cowboy (who might be on a bicycle) or as close as possible to a local motorcycle. Then weave through. Keep your legs in out-rigger mode but don´t slip on the cowpies.

I'll try to upload some pictures later. Salcar recomends not using the public computers to upload photos because he once lost 1000 photos due to a virus.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:38 AM   #40
bananaman OP
transcontimental

El Salvador, Honduras, and Nicaragua, in no particular order...

Old 01-24-2008, 09:43 AM   #41
bananaman OP
transcontimental

More of the same-

Old 01-24-2008, 12:53 PM   #42
jeepinbanditrider
Dunkin Donuts Crasher

Oddometer: 1,132

I like how they painted the VISA signs up

jeepinbanditrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 09:44 AM   #43
bananaman OP
transcontimental

Safe in Costa Rica. We're in Tamarindo, just west of Liberia.
Old 01-25-2008, 11:08 AM   #44
jeepinbanditrider
Dunkin Donuts Crasher

Oddometer: 1,132
Ya'll stay safe and keep up with the pics they are awesome.

jeepinbanditrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 02:02 PM   #45
salcar
Riding 4 Health

Oddometer: 1,076
Quote:
Granada, Nicargua.

Last night at the first annual Nicargua Adventure Rider Meeting we decided that henceforth all advrider meetings will be held in exotic locations. Attending and voting and declaring themselves slightly buzzed were myself, Topaz69, Salcar, JDinfinity, and Larose. In celebration we ate fish-cheeks. Yum. (I had no idea that I love fish-cheeks. I had only read about them in childrens´books.)

Right now our bikes are parked on an island inside the hostel. Trick riding to get over the curb. Ok, so JD and Larose just kind of picked up their bikes, but me, Salcar, and Topaz69- we had to ride ours and it was a nice little bump. I can still smell my clutch.
Hey Bananaman it was great meeting you after reading many of your posts. I hope you make it to Ushuaia with your tight schedule. make sure to stop when you get tired and to keep pressing the 911 buttom I look forward to you return to Nicaragua that way you can experience the country out of the gringo trail. Say hi to Topaz69 and i look forward to seeing the rest of the pictures!.... in particular the one of the domino effect with all the bikes