BMW R1200GSA
BMW S1000RR
'A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent upon arriving.' - Lao Tzu
Quetzal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 07:01 PM   #47
bananaman OP
transcontimental

Oddometer: 7,009
Safe in Panama City! Barb stayed in Tamarindo, Costa Rica. I am tired. Off to Cocuye tomorow.
bananaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 11:43 PM   #48
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 16,232
Nice, very nice. Thanks for report.
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 11:58 PM   #49
duitswes
NAM Biker in CA

Oddometer: 287
Nice trip. Thanks for sharing.
duitswes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 06:09 PM   #50
bananaman OP
transcontimental

1) If anyone has been where I've been, post your photos in your own damn report and quit steppin on mine.

2) My bike is in the jungle near San Blas. The road to Cocuye kicked my ass today. 5 good river crossings. The 6th suddenly got too deep. I'm back in Panama City for the night. It's at least 3 hours back to where the bike is stashed (in the jungle).

Pics later. I'm also going to ask the collective what I need to do to fix it. I spent 2 hours drainin the water and I got it started, which is pretty incredible.
Old 01-27-2008, 06:51 PM   #51
Charles Seguin
Noob4Life

Oddometer: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaman
1) If anyone has been where I've been, post your photos in your own damn report and quit steppin on mine.
Well said...

Now let's see more of YOUR pics...
Old 01-27-2008, 06:56 PM   #52
bananaman OP
transcontimental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Seguin
Well said...

Now let's see more of YOUR pics...
I'm tryin! I'm on an ancient computer and it won't let me into smugmug! I'll try to post some low-res pics. I have some do-sies! Clay in the jungle and me layin it down in it! Water pouring from the muffler!
Old 01-27-2008, 09:07 PM   #53
bananaman OP
transcontimental

Sorry but I'm at my uncl's huse in Panama and my 1 year old cousin got some keys off the computer so it son't work ood. Plus I had three beers which on top of today is mre than enouf.

Barb stayed in Costa Rica but nw she's in David with bike problems of her own. That 50 mile stretch in Costa Rica of rick and gravel was hard for both of us.

Last niht my uncle Raulito oes, you're ust in time because we're oin to Cocuye at 5 tomorow the road is great wanna come?

Ha. Great road? Ha. It was dry at first. And I made great time from Panama t Colon. Cocuye is the last town before San Blas. As far as I know, nobody has ridden there from Wisconsin. The road goes throuh private property but lucky for my my uncle is one of the land owners. If anywone else wants to try it send me a PM. If I ever load photos I wonder who else will want to try. Sure Barb will but who will spot her? After today I doubt my dad or my uncles will!

At first the road was great. Then it got potholed. Then it was gravel but dry. They it started to show a little moisture and I was only on Anakees.

My dad did it a few days ago in a landrover and he said it was perfect. Ha.

Raulito, my dad, Michelle, and Paulo went in a Honda Pilot. Oh that thin got abused today!

The first river was easy. I walked it and it seemed ok. I rode it fine.

The second river was wide. At least 50 m. Only one line. I took it ok.

The third river was deeper, but not as far across. I made it!

The fourth river was easy.

Then it turned to mud. The road, I mean. I kept falling. I kept gettin stuck. We'd push and lift and eventually I had to give up. THere was no way I was etttin up the last hill. Red clay, steep, and it was HOT. I was covered in mud.

So I turned around.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:23 PM   #54
bananaman OP
transcontimental

We left Panama at about 6 on my watch. I got bad-stuck at about 2. I didn't make it thruh the river at about 2:30? Raulito and co. left me to go get help. I took the engine apart. By the time they got back and hour later I was ready to put it back together. And it started! But with tons of water pourin out the exhaust!

We let it run for half an hour. We were all exhausted. We had planned a day at the beach at Cocuye and instead we spent the day pushin a motorcycle thru mud.

We ot back t Panama around 8? Straiht to the computer to plead for help, then dinner and beer, now this, now bed for me. TOmorow is goin to be really hard. I need to buy 10 quarts of oil to change the oil twice. I need an air filter and I lost the nut for the bolt that holds the gas tank on. It's at least 4 hours from here to where the bike was last time I saw it. I need at least an hour- probably 2- to chane the oil (gotta take th crash bars off!) and then we have to get the bike on a truck to et throuh the rivers. I'll either sleep at the house in Cocuye, or maybe Porto Bello? Or in the jungle. I don't know. I have a/c tonight though.

Barb is due in Panama tomorow. Maybe I'll be able to upload some photos from her computer. I have some amazin shots that Paulo took with my camera. Paulo was awesome- he's just in Panama fr a cuple week vacations, and he ended up bein my phtorapher, bike-pusher, and then on the way home, my driver. Everyone was awesome- from the indians who helped me tip the bike on its side to pur the water out, to the locals who halped me carry stuff across the big river, to my dad, Raulito, Michelle, and Paulo.

And on the way home, outside Colon, there was a traffic stoppage, and when I asked why, a guy said someone had been shot! The car was in the middle of the Transisthmian hiway and it was a wreck.

For supper, clams, spagetti, pork chops, and pizza! Flan for desert. At Napoli! Wooo-ya!
Old 01-27-2008, 09:38 PM   #55
bananaman OP
transcontimental

Sorry, I'm on an Anakee front, Tourance rear, both of them have about 5000 miles. Not what I would recomend for MUD.

But it wasn't supposed to be mud!

I remember a very important conversation with the guys at the BMW dealership in Beaver Dam. We decided that 90/10 road/dirt tires would be best. We were 90% right. I had said that if I decided to mess around in the jungle, then I would get a set of knobbies down here. I didn't know that Raulito wasn't going to give me any time to get knobbies.
Old 01-28-2008, 06:23 AM   #56
bananaman OP
transcontimental

n 9 degrees, 30.945 minutes; w 79 degrees, 14.888 minutes. That's where I left my bike. Check it out on google earth.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:49 AM   #57
LaOutbackTrail
Certified Smartass

Oddometer: 5,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaman
n 9 degrees, 30.945 minutes; w 79 degrees, 14.888 minutes. That's where I left my bike. Check it out on google earth.

Sounds like fun B-Man
LaOutbackTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 11:04 AM   #58
bananaman OP
transcontimental

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaOutbackTrail

Sounds like fun B-Man
I'm back at Raulito's house waiting for Carlos Enriques and a diesel Toyota HiLux flatbed 4x4. I spoke this morning to Luis Torrero at the BMW shop. Torrero confirmed that I should NOT ride the bike out. So me and Enriques are going to haul it. It's 1 PM here. Probably 4 hours to the bike. An hour to load? Then slow and easy driving back to Panama City. With any luck I won't have to sleep in the jungle tonight. Otherwise we'll spend the night at Cocuye.

My dad, as bored as he is, might bring Barb later- just for the adventure of it. But if Barb is riding from David to Panama today, I bet she's going to want a shower and a beer, not a 4 hour drive in a diesel Land Rover, to some place in the middle of the jungle.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:41 AM   #59
salcar
Riding 4 Health

Oddometer: 1,078
Dinner with Bananaman in Granada Nicaragua

Old 01-29-2008, 12:32 AM   #60
bananaman OP
transcontimental

Thanks for the photo Sal!

I got the bike out. On the back of a truck. Complete with an adventure. You will like the photos. I will post them tomorow.

Barb caught up. She is here in Panama now.