Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2010, 08:52 PM   #706
daveg
no longer homeless

Oddometer: 787
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaman
Bump cuz in two days it'll be two years since I rode out of Madison. I was so fucking lucky- the day I rode out, it was about 50 degrees, but the high for Thursday will probably be 10. Riding out of Madison, right now, would totally suck.
It is amazing how quickly time flies when you're ... working...

Your bump really confused me as wondering what other "Latin America!" thread I had subscribed

When/where is the next big one???
Old 01-06-2010, 06:52 AM   #707
bananaman OP
transcontimental

Oddometer: 6,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveg
When/where is the next big one???
Ssh. Secret. I don't want to jinx it. But if you see me knocking looking for a place to crash, then open the door. I'll have beer.
bananaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 07:57 PM   #708
bananaman OP
transcontimental

Hi Sorry to Interupt Current Ride Reports but I was just drinking a few beers and reviewing where I was two years ago. I laughed out loud at this post. Yes, I'm PWI. (Dear Noob: PWI means Posting While Intoxicated.)

Quote:
For those who weren't at lunch today, here's a quick summary of who these riders are: some are going to Africa. Some have ridden across Russia. Some are going home to Europe after truly epic rides. Some are taking off as soon as their parts arrive. Some are continuing on in South America. Some have actually met the elusive GatoGato. There was a gas tank bigger than mine. There were bikes with sheepskin seat covers- covers that looked like they were on a sheep maybe yesterday. Almost all the bikes had been crashed- missing blinkers, bent parts, welded side cases, plenty of duct tape. there were comments like, Yep, they survived that 70mph crash pretty good, but they should be stiffer... There were worn out tires getting replaced, worn out tires still being ridden. Nearly everyone had been robbed or had almost been robbed. People were sleeping in tents, on cots, on bunks.

The best part was when I asked for directions, and I got GPS coordinates. I was, like, a-Ha! Someone who speaks my language!

If you are ever within a few thousand miles of Buenos Aires, come to Dakar Motos.

If you are ever in the Andes, check out this plant. It's actually a carot.

Old 01-15-2010, 06:47 PM   #709
Nata Harli
The Accidental Tourista

Oddometer: 2,534
Quote:
Yes, I'm PWI. (Dear Noob: PWI means Posting While Intoxicated.)
Is there any other way?

No, it's not a Harley , it's a BMW.
Nata Harli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:18 AM   #710
bananaman OP
transcontimental

Bump for it being 3 years since I stared out the window and decided to push through the next day no matter the weather.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:10 AM   #711
daveg
no longer homeless

Oddometer: 787
Apparently subscriptions never end! Neither will the memories. Nice to see your thread again.. it's been a while.

Eat a piece of spicy cheesy bread for me.

dg -- waiting for Thursday for the arrival of bike in Thailand!!!
Old 01-05-2011, 05:45 PM   #712
bananaman OP
transcontimental

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveg View Post
Apparently subscriptions never end! Neither will the memories. Nice to see your thread again.. it's been a while.

Eat a piece of spicy cheesy bread for me.

dg -- waiting for Thursday for the arrival of bike in Thailand!!!
Sorry for disturbing your Thai hangover. Say hi to Mai Khunt, Phresh Poosay, and I Pregnant With Your Baby for me.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:37 AM   #713
WhicheverAnyWayCan
Deaf Biker

Oddometer: 742
Max,

I decided to read your Latin America RR after reading your posts in Rider Missing in Mexico (Harry vanished) and I enjoyed your RR. 20 months have passed and I wonder if you have managed to find the time to go to Ireland? or other side of Pacific? Africa? Curious!!

And I wanted to say that it was interesting to see the difference between your RR in 2008 and most Latin America RR that was wrote (or typed) after 2012. Apparently WIFI has kinda got a bit better that more riders are able to upload pics than you did in 2008?? Just wondering out loud the difference here.

And I am in Barranquilla Colombia.. WIFI still sucks anyway. Probably fast enough to download pics but not enough to watch a 2 minutes clip from YouTube.
WhicheverAnyWayCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:43 PM   #714
bananaman OP
transcontimental

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhicheverAnyWayCan View Post
Max,

I decided to read your Latin America RR after reading your posts in Rider Missing in Mexico (Harry vanished) and I enjoyed your RR. 20 months have passed and I wonder if you have managed to find the time to go to Ireland? or other side of Pacific? Africa? Curious!!

And I wanted to say that it was interesting to see the difference between your RR in 2008 and most Latin America RR that was wrote (or typed) after 2012. Apparently WIFI has kinda got a bit better that more riders are able to upload pics than you did in 2008?? Just wondering out loud the difference here.

And I am in Barranquilla Colombia.. WIFI still sucks anyway. Probably fast enough to download pics but not enough to watch a 2 minutes clip from YouTube.
Yes there's a huge difference between 2008 and 2014. For example, I can upload pics from my iPhone from all over the world now. I just got back from India (without a bike) and while I was there, I stayed in touch with family and friends and I regularly uploaded pics.

My new camera is about the same size as my old one, but my new one is about eleven teen kazillion times better.

Nowdays, the ride is almost common. When I was doing it I was just about the only one out there. Colombia was still pretty dangerous. Glenn's kidnapping was still fresh. Now, if anybody asks me for advice, I tell them to avoid the backpacker-trail hostels and take a photography class.

ps: I'm glad you liked the ancient RR of mine.
Old 08-29-2014, 08:47 PM   #715
bananaman OP
transcontimental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nata Harli View Post
Hi, Bananaman,

I'm sitting here in the inner city in Kansas City today working as an election judge. It's given me a good chance to finally catch up on your RR and see how you're doing. It also explains why there's so many posts of mine together.

So, as I'm sitting here reading your RR one of the ladies looks over my shoulder as I have a picture of you and Barb on my screen. She asks me who that is in the picture and I reply, "A couple of friends of mine who are in Central America".

Then, I get to thinking about calling both of you my friends. And, even though I've never met either one of you in person, that's one of the great things about the ADV community and particularly those who take the time and effort to compose a RR for all of us to enjoy. I think of you as my friends as I share in your adventures.

So, keep up the good work, friend. I look forward to meeting you in the flesh one of these days.
And now, like forever later, in real life, we're friends. Life is cool like this.