User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2015, 08:48 AM   #1
bwalsh OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,138
Waking a airhead from a long nap

I recently sold a 2001 R1150GS I had for a little over a year. I had to sell it to help pay for some of my mothers medical bills, and a few of my own.
When I got it, it ran kind of rough,, surged badly and had been somewhat neglected. When I sold it, it ran like a top, idled smoothly and had ZERO surging issues!
That bike piqued my interest in BMW's(I do like Lattes ) so I decided to get an older model and stick with it. I'd been halfheartedly looking around for one but not too seriously.

One day last month a buddy stopped by to drink a beer. He mentioned a buddy of his was thinking of selling a BMW. He had no idea what year or model...just knew it was red in color. I asked him to get some details and get back to me.
Next week rolls round and my buddy stops back by. I asked about the bike again, so he calls the guy and lets me talk to him. He tells me what he has, a 1981 R100RS, makes me an offer I can't refuse, then I make arrangements to come and see it(read: buy it).
I get there the next week and come to find out I had actually met the owner a couple times decades ago, long before I started riding. The bikes been sitting in his garage for about seven years now. He stopped riding it because of stiction in the forks and because the trans was going into false neutrals a lot. It supposedly has somewhere between 50,000-60,000 miles on it. The speedometer isn't working either.
These are few photos I took the night I brought it home along with all the extras that came with it and seven years of dust....

Notice the repair on the right side of the fairing. The PO said he had a quarter fairing to replace that cracked part packed away somewhere. When he finds it he'll get in touch so I can come and get it. I may just leave it the way it is for the time being.

As you can see it came with both seats(in excellent good condition), Krauser bags(I think they leak some), Leather and sheep skin pad for the two up seat, Canvas Elephantenboy tank bag with waterproof cover(It's the size of the fuel tank!), another tank bag, oil filter, carb bowl gaskets, oil pan gasket, new clutch cable, front master cylinder rebuild kit(said it had been leaking but stopped), service manual(He couldn't lay his hands on it either but will call when he finds it) and a few other electrical items. It has a(original?) tool kit...

tool tray and even the air pump that mounts under the seat(looks like a bicycle pump). Tires don't show any signs of dry rot so I will most likely run them, but keep a close eye on them.

Here are a few photo's after I washed it the next day...

This is the worst part of the paint I can see. Too much fuel spilled on it or???

All in all, not a bad deal!
My plan is to get it running as easily and quickly as possible while replacing gaskets(Valve cover and fuel), see what's what regarding the transmission, engine and the rest of the bike, and proceed from there. If all seems OK, I'll run it gently until winter then tear into it a little more. If the trans is screwed, I'll save up for a rebuild.

Stay tuned!

bwalsh screwed with this post 05-15-2015 at 05:05 AM
bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 08:52 AM   #2
deafanddiabetic
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
That's a nice little haul, congrats!
deafanddiabetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 08:52 AM   #3
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,813
Drop the oil pan, and inspect and clean, check oil pickup bolts for tightness, adjust valves. Change ALL fluids, drop carb bowls see if they are gummed up, if not put bowls back on w/ new gaskets.Purchase new tires. , inspect cables Get it running and see what needs further attention.
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 09:00 AM   #4
bwalsh OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Less Harley View Post
Drop the oil pan, and inspect and clean, check oil pickup bolts for tightness, adjust valves. Change ALL fluids, drop carb bowls see if they are gummed up, if not put bowls back on w/ new gaskets.Purchase new tires. , inspect cables Get it running and see what needs further attention.
Actually I've cleaned the fuel system. The inline filters and carbs where pretty clean. I'm in the process of posting that right now.

The oil in the engine is old but clean. I wasn't planning on dropping the pan but I guess it can't hurt.

Thanks for the reply's! I wasn't expecting them so quick!

bwalsh screwed with this post 05-15-2015 at 03:29 AM
Old 05-14-2015, 09:02 AM   #5
bwalsh OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by deafanddiabetic View Post
That's a nice little haul, congrats!
Thanks! This kind of fell into my lap.

Old 05-14-2015, 09:50 AM   #6
bwalsh OP
Beastly Adventurer

Fuel system cleaning

The tank had seven plus, year old gas in it so that had to go!

I pulled the tank and drained into a plastic pan. Damn did that stuff stink! Look what I found in the bottom of the petcocks...

Could have been worse.

I removed the petcocks, clamped off the openings with hose, rubber stoppers and hose clamps, and put a gallon of diesel fuel in along with 1,500 BB's to remove any crap or tank lining that may have been flaking off...

Here is the worst area on the outside of the tank...

It's a light surface rust...just enough to make the paint flake off. No serious rust!

I shook the tank every which way for close to a half an hour, then let it sit for a couple days as I got busy with other, more pressing jobs needing done. The fuel cap allowed fuel past the cap so I will need a new gasket for that. When I got back to the project I shook the BB's again for a long time, turning the tank every which way.
When I drained the tank the diesel was cloudy and there were some flecks of crap coming out but all in all I think the tank is in great shape for it's age! I rinsed it once real good with gas.

The top of the tank has some surface rust...

The entire inside of the tank looks like what you see inside in the previous photo, even before I cleaned it. So I'm not too worried about any serious fuel tank/line flaking/clogging issues any time soon.

I also discovered the spinning gas cap issue...spins but doesn't open. I thought I was screwed until I did a five minute search on the subject. Gotta love the internet!

The cap had some corrosion/rust on it, but not too bad either...

The petcocks were a little filthy. This one was the worst offender...

Here's the other...

One had a tar like substance in it...

And had some corrosion on one of the levers, which I scrapped off smooth...

Next up were the inline fuel filters...

A little crud in this one...

Looks like some thing was trying to grow in this one!

This is a before photo of one of the bowls.

Looks like the PO scrapped some crud off the bottom. Some of that other stuff came out. Some is on there good, even after using brakleen(red can) on it. All passages were clear as were the jets, but the "O" rings around the jets look a little worse for wear.

I had originally thought I'd try and get the bike running without replacing the gaskets in the petcocks but I thought better of it. I have visions of gas dripping out all over the engine now. I'll place an order with MAX BMW soon.

bwalsh screwed with this post 05-15-2015 at 05:09 AM
Old 05-14-2015, 10:01 AM   #7
eight90eight
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
Would love taking that bike apart. Save the patina. Everything can be fixed/updated, made whole. Much good advice here. Good on you for grabbing an airhead. Welcome to the resistance.
eight90eight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 10:22 AM   #8
Steve in OC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 309
Good start on reviving that bike.

Brief rant: the PO may have been a mechanic, like you said. But like so many "mechanics", it looks like he just didn't give a rat's ass. The bike was put away and stored like it was some kind of throwaway 400cc commuterbike: he didn't bother to drain the fuel, didn't cover it, lost some of the parts, etc. And what kind of mechanic can't manage to sort out the caliper leak, the fork stiction, and replace the speedo?

I'm not saying this ^^^ to be snarky. I'm saying don't assume anything on the bike is OK until you check it out yourself. Every sign so far points to neglect/carelessness by the PO.
Steve in OC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 10:26 AM   #9
bwalsh OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eight90eight View Post
Would love taking that bike apart. Save the patina. Everything can be fixed/updated, made whole. Much good advice here. Good on you for grabbing an airhead. Welcome to the resistance.
Well come on over! BTW, I only buy GOOD beer.

That's why I'm not in any hurry to get that spare quarter fairing. And I'll find a way to take care of the paint on the underside of the tank for the time being.

I'm the forth owner. The second was the one who painted the wheels gold. I wasn't too fond of the gold color at first but after cleaning it up and seeing it in the sunlight, along with the other gold trim and pin striping, It's beginning to grow on me!

Old 05-14-2015, 10:44 AM   #10
Steve in OC
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
He also let it go at a price that you probably wouldn't even believe if I told you.
Ah, that would make all the difference!

BTW, why not just say how much you paid for it?
Old 05-14-2015, 10:53 AM   #11
OldnoGPS
Just a sightseer

Oddometer: 1,376
Bob,

The carb rebuild kits have new O-rings, option is usually whether you want diaphragms or not. Chuck those in-line filters and get some new aftermarket filters. Can't help with the petcock specifics (I think there are at least 4 types) but new ones aren't terribly expensive.

Glad to see the progress!
OldnoGPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 10:56 AM   #12
Big Bamboo
Aircooled & Sunbaked

Oddometer: 3,939
Great deals on carb kits and petcocks here (free shipping too!): http://www.eubmw.com/Carb.html
Big Bamboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 11:14 AM   #13
bwalsh OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldnoGPS View Post
Bob,

The carb rebuild kits have new O-rings, option is usually whether you want diaphragms or not. Chuck those in-line filters and get some new aftermarket filters. Can't help with the petcock specifics (I think there are at least 4 types) but new ones aren't terribly expensive.

Glad to see the progress!
Thanks Ted!
You're not a fan of those filters I see.

Upon closer inspection of MAX's parts fiche I found the parts I was looking for in two different petcock diagrams. I'll decide in the next couple days which direction I'll go regarding petcocks...new, or rebuild mine.

Old 05-14-2015, 11:15 AM   #14
Steve in OC
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
Because I thought it would be in bad taste.
This isn't the Beverly Hills Country Club. It's a motorcycle forum. Guys talking about greasy parts, bug guts on helmet visors, and pictures of nearly-nekkid gals draped over bikes. So I call BS on any "bad taste" concerns.
Old 05-14-2015, 11:16 AM   #15
bwalsh OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bamboo View Post
Great deals on carb kits and petcocks here (free shipping too!): http://www.eubmw.com/Carb.html
That's the type of info I was hoping to get. Thank you!