Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2008, 04:50 PM   #91
RockyRoads OP
RockyRoads

Oddometer: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yard Sale
Imagine my surprise, lurking away, and suddenly seeing people I used to ride and race with about 14-18 years ago. What a blast from the past! Sunday Morning Ride, Performance & Design group rides, coasting down Hamilton, etc. I was there when Kathy crashed on Skaggs and was helicoptered out (then walked out of the hospital that evening).
Hmmmm . . . Eric, is that you?

P&D, Steve Mitoma, Sunday morning rides--those were great times! And I am happy to say that I haven't had another helicopter ride since then (knock on wood!).
Old 01-18-2008, 04:57 PM   #92
RockyRoads OP
RockyRoads

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeDub
One thing I've been wondering though, since it seems you guys have had your share of flats is how Maurice hasn't discovered bike stands? He's got a nice truck, he's a pilot, all nice bikes for you to ride, and no life saving and cheap stands to help him change your tires on. I know I wouldn't want to be searching around for rocks to pile up if I had a chase truck! I don't know why these things pop out at me.
Good observation! Maurice actually did have a tire stand in the truck. However, many times the chase truck was far enough behind that we would just start changing the flat without waiting for it to catch up. The first instinct with a flat, I think, is to start looking for some big rocks to balance the bike on (haven't we all been there?). And when the chase truck happened to be nearby, Hugo did dig out the bike stand a couple of times--the stand just didn't make it into any of our photos.
Old 01-18-2008, 05:33 PM   #93
Yard Sale
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Wow, you remembered me. Say hi to Ben. I've got a charcoal and red 1988 Hurricane right now... I think both of you had the same year and color?

Why all the flats? Were they not heavy duty tubes, or were you picking up nails and screws?

I haven't had a flat since I started using HD tubes. I sometimes don't even install rimlocks.
Yard Sale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 06:05 PM   #94
RockyRoads OP
RockyRoads

Quote:
Wow, you remembered me. Say hi to Ben. I've got a charcoal and red 1988 Hurricane right now... I think both of you had the same year and color?
Of course I remembered! I did indeed have the grey and red '88 Hurricane--it was my first bike!

Quote:
Why all the flats? Were they not heavy duty tubes, or were you picking up nails and screws?
I don't think that there is "one" answer for why so many flats. Maurice said that on prior trips, his groups have only gotten 2-3 flats maximum, but our group was perhaps unlucky for him. I never got a flat, although I impacted plenty of big rocks and potholes where I would think, "Oh no, that surely must have caused a flat." The roads in Bolivia are just plain "bad" overall (but fun!--riding smooth roads every day would have been SO dull!). And there are plenty of high-speed sections with opportunities to impact things that can cause flats. One flat was caused by a nail, another by landing improperly after being launched by an unexpected washout at high speed. And Ben is still mystified by the cause of his flat.
Old 01-18-2008, 06:43 PM   #95
BeeDub
Havagoowan

Oddometer: 2,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyRoads
The first instinct with a flat, I think, is to start looking for some big rocks to balance the bike on (haven't we all been there?).
Not yet for me, knock on wood! Any time we've been out riding and gotten a flat, we were close enough to carefully ride it home (dirt). Also, I just got my license this year, and am new to the whole adventure thing, yet to make a really long voyage. My buddy and I were tinkering around in the garage a couple weeks ago, schooling ourselves on changing a tire because we're both new to being able to ride out from the house and go a long ways. That was an experience! As of this point it would still be a half-day killer. What would be nice is if someone started producing a center stand for my XR, that'd make trail changes easier!!!

Nice report, I thoroughly enjoyed it!
BeeDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 09:26 PM   #96
gigmike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,000
Those photos of the kids are great! What group or charity do you sponsor them through?
gigmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 10:39 PM   #97
Watercat
Web Footed Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,458
Great RR:

Uh, yeah there's some serious elevation gain there:

Cool trip!!!!!!

" . . . discovery channel has been shit for over a decade . . . this (ADVrider) is actually good." - OldAndBusted

Expect the unexpected! - Skunked & DfunkD

2006 Husky TE 610
2005 Big Strom
2010 THRUXTON
Watercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 10:41 PM   #98
Salt Lick
Weissbiermann

Oddometer: 989
What a fantastic read! Thanks for sharing!
Salt Lick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 10:16 AM   #99
Timba
Luckiest Man Alive

Oddometer: 242

"Always aim at complete harmony of thought and word and deed." M. Gandhi. (1869-1948)

TnA's travels
Timba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 01:38 PM   #100
SteveRed
Adventure Mojo

Oddometer: 2,678
Quote:
"..I’m embarrassed to say that I wasn’t polite to the bicyclist, and I think that I used the word “idiot”. She pulled herself and her bicycle together, rode off and left me struggling to upright my bike. "
IDIOT!? So you only called her an idiot??

Another brilliant report and thanks for sharing with us. You know that old saying... 'A couple that plays together stays together'. It's great to see you and Ben sharing your dreams and passions. BRAVO!

http://www.adventuremoto.com.au
Your ride.. Your adventure!
SteveRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 06:23 PM   #101
Yard Sale
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
The "idiot" bicyclists sure looked like Gringos Americanos, no? We've got so many idiots on bikes we are exporting them.
Yard Sale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 06:45 PM   #102
RockyRoads OP
RockyRoads

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveRed
IDIOT!? So you only called her an idiot??
Well, I am not proud of the fact that I was angry when it happened--in retrospect, I think that the poor woman was terrified of getting too close to the steep dropoff on her side of the road, and then she probably target fixated on me. I was scared, hence the anger, because she was the probably the 20th bicyclist that I had encountered on my side of the road, and I was afraid that I would hurt one of them upon impact (I was on the heavy motorcycle with full protective gear, and they were on lightweight bicycles with no body armor). If anything, the bicycle tour operators are to blame for not instructing the riders more thoroughly on the importance of staying to the left, and also for not supervising the riders to ensure safety. I regret the name calling (it's not my usual style, and it didn't bring any positive results), as the woman who hit me was probably more scared than I was.
Old 01-19-2008, 07:44 PM   #103
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,393
Simply awesome! Great report and great adventure! My wife and I have been talking about riding Bolivia all day.

Some friends of our rode the "Death Road" on their ride to South America a couple of years ago, and came upon a group of bicyclist stopped and looking over the edge. They asked Mark if he had a rope. He didn't and asked why. "Our friend went over the side and we need a rope to get him up." Mark looked over the edge and saw an obviously dead rider on a ledge about 50 feet down. The bicyclists were in shock and kept yelling down to him that they would get a rope. Mark continued down the road to the town at the bottom and notified the police.

The Road of Death is no joke.

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 08:03 PM   #104
TwistySV650
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Death Road

First off, I have to echo everyone else and tell you what a wonderful report you have presented to us for our enjoyment. The pictures are first rate and the story draws you in and paints a picture that inspires the reader.

It seems that you caught the Death Road at the right time, it will only be getting busier. The other night I was watching Nightline, the ABC late night news show that is on after the local news. They had a segment on biking on the Death Road. So, I'm sure there will be more people aiming at the motorcyclist in the future.

Thanks for the great report!
TwistySV650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 08:52 PM   #105
adventure girl
Donde esta la playa?!?

Oddometer: 1,324
Talking Kathy, you are my superhero!

Hi Kathy! Remember we split that KOA cabin in Moab? I had a blast riding with your friends from CA- learned a lot that weekend. This ride report is AWSOME!!! When I grow up I hope I can be as cool as you are

For some reason I find it amusing to see the Sturgis shirt...

'05.5 KTM 950 ADV (Orange is faster)
'04 KTM 525
adventure girl is offline   Reply With Quote