Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2008, 09:23 AM   #46
Bounce
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,484
Got the full jacket for Christmas and used it running down to Mexico at the beginning of the year. Temps in the 30's with the controller on low and I was toasty. On the way back, I used the liner with the temp off in the 40's and was quite happy. Had no issues with wires after stuffing the jacket in a stuff bag. I've got the XL as I've got a 44" chest and a beer belly...good fit!

If you won't stand behind our troops, please stand in front of them
Bounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 10:36 AM   #47
spraypilot OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdaniels
I purchased the Tourmaster Synergy vest w/collar when I bought my Versys last week and got to put it to a real test today (however I did test it on a short ride a few days ago). The news said it was 22F this morning, the bank I passed said it was 15F, but I was nice and warm the entire 21miles/45 minute commute to work this morning.

It's the first heated item I've owned and love the warmth. I was wearing it under a First Gear leather jacket w/liner - I had a button up shirt & undershirt on under the vest.

The only thing I don't like about this vest, is that the power connector on the vest only comes out about 2" - which requires me to have a good 12"-16" of cord coming off the bike from under the seat. The installation instructions say you should only have about 2" of cord coming from under the seat (or where ever it's routed from) but I don't see how that's possible with my vest.

On my first ride when I tested it, I stood on the pegs once just enought to pull out the connections, but not enough for the cord to come free. My worry is that the cord could come free , dangle from the seat and possible get caught in the chain.

I'm going to explore other routing options for the wire to keep it away from the rear of the bike, but still there will be at least 10"-12" of loose cord coming off the bike.

I have tried to see if more cord would come out of the jacket, but I don't think there is any.

Looks like someone had the came problem in response to the WebBikeWorld review: http://www.webbikeworld.com/heated-m...t.htm#comments

Overall I love the vest, I just may need to explore some options with the power lead.
Do you have the wire coming from the battery routed to the left front of your seat? What bike do you have? I only have about a 3" pigtail hanging out and the plug on the jacket is also very short but works great.
spraypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 09:04 AM   #48
Swashplate
50 MSL & 150 KTS

Oddometer: 1,160
Just ordered a Medium from www.tonker.com final price with discount code "bab" and free shipping was $153.89.

Medium was confirmed the live person there.
(5-10, 180lbs, large t-shirt, 42 jacket/filight suit, medium "polo" shirt)
Old 01-31-2008, 02:52 PM   #49
MrWrestlingII
2007 GSA

Oddometer: 54
I was looking into upgrading my Stitch vest and came upon this thread. For those of you that have the jacket liner does it bind up in the arms when your putting your riding jacket on? I wasn't cosidering a jacket liner but after reading further is sounds like it may be the way to go.
MrWrestlingII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 03:25 PM   #50
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,736
It slips on under my Kilimanjaro easier than the stock liner does. Won't comfortably go under the tight sleeves of my leather jacket but then neither will a bulky sweater or anything else.
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 09:58 AM   #51
DrDale
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
I'm 5'6 about 165, ordered a large synergy jacket liner at the Detroit IMS show. When I recieved it, it was a bit loose, so I contacted the dealer, Motorcity Powersports and they got me a medium to try on. Fit perfect, just a tiny bit of stretch on the side panels. My other tourmaster gear - Transition jacket and Caliber pants are also mediums. Fits well under the Transion jacket, but I haven't had a chance to try it out on the bike yet - too darn cold and several inches of snow falling right now.

I was set on getting the vest, but after considering....I would end up wearing the vest under the jacket's thermal liner - one more piece of gear to carry or wear. I figured (correctly) that the liner would replace the thremal liner that came with the jacket. Plus...on the wee-strom, your body is behind the windshield, and I have handguards for my hands (and heated grips), but my arms are out in the wind. Decided to go for the jacket liner.

As others have mentioned on this post, I have a bit of concern about the small amount of connector that comes out of the jacket, since the instructions state that you're only supposed to have 2" of cable coming out from under the seat. Not sure that will be sufficient cord to hook it all up.

I'm going to try to at least hook everything up this weekend to make sure it works, but it may be a few weeks before I get the bike out of the Michigan deep freeze. I'll report back when I get a chance to truly test it.
DrDale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 10:05 AM   #52
idabeemerboy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 465
Has anyone on here tried the tourmaster pant liners? We were all set to buy our heated gear from tourmaster when we noticed that the pant liners are chaps-style. Then, we got to thinking about it and weren't sure that was such a BAD idea...
Anyone?
Thanks...
Tom and Sue

Quote:
Originally Posted by spraypilot
I just ordered the tourmaster synergy electric jacket liner. I am tired of freezing! I looked at the gerbing but went with the tourmaster after much deliberation. I got the jacket liner for $156.99 shipped to my door which includes the battery connector and thermostat. Gerbing sells the jacket liner for $199.00 plus you have to purchase the thermostat seperately for about $69. Harley-Davidson sells the exact same product with their name on it for $220.00 plus the thermostat. The tourmaster comes with a 3 year warranty vs. gerbings lifetime. I will do a product review after I have used it a few times in the cold and rain for those interested in the product.
I live in the southeast but am planning on riding to Alaska late in the summer so I think the electric heat will be welcome north of Montana in August.
'73 75/5
'07 GSA Adventure
various dirt bikes
and 2 horses.....
idabeemerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 10:24 AM   #53
idabeemerboy
Gnarly Adventurer

So, you have the pants liner? How do you like them? Is the chap style an issue for warmth?
Sue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiz
Does anyone have an email or phone for TourMaster Warranty support? My pants liner controller died after 15 minutes.

Tonker.com is not returning my emails on the issue. That is where I got them.

--Kevin
'73 75/5
'07 GSA Adventure
various dirt bikes
and 2 horses.....
Old 02-01-2008, 12:34 PM   #54
punk_emo_tx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by idabeemerboy
Has anyone on here tried the tourmaster pant liners? We were all set to buy our heated gear from tourmaster when we noticed that the pant liners are chaps-style. Then, we got to thinking about it and weren't sure that was such a BAD idea...
Anyone?
Thanks...
Tom and Sue
I guess you could look at it as "no news is good news".

The "chaps" idea seems good to me. They'll cover the really cold areas, pack smaller (?) and be easier to put on (?) .

I talked to a local seller and he said none have been returned.
punk_emo_tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 12:36 PM   #55
Swashplate
50 MSL & 150 KTS

Pissed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swashplate
Just ordered a Medium from www.tonker.com final price with discount code "bab" and free shipping was $153.89.

Medium was confirmed the live person there.
(5-10, 180lbs, large t-shirt, 42 jacket/filight suit, medium "polo" shirt)

got mine today......controller went bad after 15-20 seconds!!!

contacted
Helmet House Helmet House Inc. 26855 Malibu Hills Rd. Calabasas Hills, CA 91301. Phone 800-421-7247. Fax 800-338-5012

They told me that they had a bad batch of controllers and to contact my purchase point (www.tonker.com) and get them to do the paperwork???? Anyway I called Stuart at www.Tonker.com and he set the wheels in motion and I have another one on the way today!!!! Thanks Stuart!!!

To bad HH had to do it that way

Swashplate screwed with this post 02-01-2008 at 01:05 PM
Swashplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 12:57 PM   #56
Swashplate
50 MSL & 150 KTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiz
Does anyone have an email or phone for TourMaster Warranty support? My pants liner controller died after 15 minutes.

Tonker.com is not returning my emails on the issue. That is where I got them.

--Kevin

Helmet House Inc. 26855 Malibu Hills Rd. Calabasas Hills, CA 91301. Phone 800-421-7247. Fax 800-338-5012
Old 02-01-2008, 02:40 PM   #57
idabeemerboy
Gnarly Adventurer

Yes, another good thing...since they only come in unisex sizes. my big u-no-what won't be an issue, will it?? lol....
Sue

Quote:
Originally Posted by punk_emo_tx
I guess you could look at it as "no news is good news".

The "chaps" idea seems good to me. They'll cover the really cold areas, pack smaller (?) and be easier to put on (?) .

I talked to a local seller and he said none have been returned.
'73 75/5
'07 GSA Adventure
various dirt bikes
and 2 horses.....
Old 02-11-2008, 03:04 PM   #58
MrWrestlingII
2007 GSA

Oddometer: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafpolo
The way that Tourmaster built these clothes, they have the carbon fiber heating wires woven throughout the vest. This means even heat - no more hot spots.

Looking forward to their BMW coonector. Meanwhile ordered one from Powerlet.
Which Powerlet connector did you order?
MrWrestlingII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 03:11 PM   #59
Rabbit_Fighter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
I just thought I would say that after several weeks of daily use, it has been working very well. No problems and very comfortable.

Only one problem . . . .not much of a problem, but just kind of amusing. As I take the left sleeve off (first), I get a series of static shocks in my right arm! Anybody else get this?
Rabbit_Fighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 03:13 PM   #60
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit_Fighter
I just thought I would say that after several weeks of daily use, it has been working very well. No problems and very comfortable.

Only one problem . . . .not much of a problem, but just kind of amusing. As I take the left sleeve off (first), I get a series of static shocks in my right arm! Anybody else get this?
Now you mention it - yes! No big deal though - I get worse from stroking the dog in dry weather.
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote