Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2008, 10:40 AM   #76
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,987
can these be used with a heat troller rather than the included controller?
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 03:59 PM   #77
xtphreak
from B4 "adventure bikes"

Oddometer: 7,961
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams
can these be used with a heat troller rather than the included controller?
not easily, but why?
it comes INCLUDED IN THE PRICE

the jacket controller is not in series between the power cord and the liner

the power goes into the liner and there's a 5 conductor cable going to/coming from the controller

I'll search out a m/f plug set for the controller cable, I have a "standard" controller (thanks ZZR_Ron ) and I'd like the option to use it when/if the Synergy one goes south, so I'll come up with a male plug - SAE in & out to replace it with .... eventually.
Robert A. Heinlen
Adventure is discomfort recounted at leisure. Flash / GSWayne
Chrome don't get ya home. Rob Nye
Stamp Out Hoplophobia in Our lifetimes.
1999 Tiger 885
1995 XT600E
xtphreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 07:54 PM   #78
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtphreak
not easily, but why?
it comes INCLUDED IN THE PRICE

the jacket controller is not in series between the power cord and the liner

the power goes into the liner and there's a 5 conductor cable going to/coming from the controller

I'll search out a m/f plug set for the controller cable, I have a "standard" controller (thanks ZZR_Ron ) and I'd like the option to use it when/if the Synergy one goes south, so I'll come up with a male plug - SAE in & out to replace it with .... eventually.
I own the controller as well as a warm n safe liner. Frankly, I hate feeling like I'm wrapped with a cheap extension cord wearing a cheap windbreaker and these liners seem interesting to me, but, the big ass controller hanging off my body does not sound good at all, hence my question
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 08:36 PM   #79
hammick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams
I own the controller as well as a warm n safe liner. Frankly, I hate feeling like I'm wrapped with a cheap extension cord wearing a cheap windbreaker and these liners seem interesting to me, but, the big ass controller hanging off my body does not sound good at all, hence my question
Jim:

See my post here: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=313414

If I can return this I may get the Gerbings stuff. It cost quite a bit more but you get what you pay for.
hammick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 07:27 AM   #80
mdaniels
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 229
For those that had bad controllers, you may want to look at the connection from the bike to the jacket/vest.

My vest was working perfectly then all of a sudden I noticed it was turning it off on its own. I would turn it back on, it would work, then a short time later it was off again.

After a little trouble shooting, I discovered it was the connection from the bike, to the vest. If I rotate the red connectors it will reach a certain area where it apparently the two connectors don't make a connection. Rotate it a ittle more and it works fine. So while I'm riding, it obviously must roate a little then shut off.

Since I really don't know which connector is the problem, I guess I'll just have to return it for a different one.
'03 Honda VLX600 (Wifes) - Sold
'04 Triumph Speedmaster (RIP)
mdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 06:13 AM   #81
Leebo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by earwig
Can you give YOUR dimensions, so we can compare?

I'm 6'2", 280 lbs, wide shoulders and chest, large belly. Sounds like I'd need an XXL, so I'm interested in your info.

Thanks!
I am 5'10" 238 , I wear a 50" coat, 38 inch wranglers.. I tried an XL on and it was to tight and restrictive. I am going for the XXL unless I loose 30 lbs between now and spring...
Lee
2002 Kawi Prairie 650
Leebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 10:44 AM   #82
catneck
Rabid Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 334
Thumb I have the entire Synergy setup now-Review

Well,
I have had the jacket liner since November. Bought from my local BMW shop. Priced a little higher than internet, but we pay no sales tax here. Glad to have bought local, as 45 days later, the controller failed. They replaced it immediately with one from their showroom jacket. Now back in the heat. This jacket liner is great-nice instant even heat with no feeling of the wires (like Gerbing).
I then added the gloves and pants (chaps really).

First the gloves. They are great looking, feel well constructed, and have their own controller. Which is removed when you use the jacket. That is too bad, because on either of my bikes (RT & V-Strom) the jacket is usually on low, and my hands are still not warm. And a little tricky to put the gloves on with the short lead from the jacket at first (hint-do not be afraid to tug a little in the lead, it will pull out to give just enough slack with a little effort). The gloves heat the back of the hands, and do not include the thumbs for some reason. Heated grips are nearly a must for the 20-30 degree days around here.

And the chaps. Same (removeable) controller like the gloves. I like the easy on and off of these things. Much easier to step into my Fieldsheer Highland 1 piece using the slippery Tourmaster liners than the factory quilted liner. And the boots stay on too. Big plus. And the chaps heat nice, only need low here, too. And guys will be glad to know that your "gear" is not heated in these, there is a relief in the crotch area. Don't want a "short" there. Small miss in the fact that they do not include a lead for heated socks (I run a seperate harness using a splitter from the jacket/chaps here). I use Gerbing's socks-real noticeable wires in these babies, but nice heat.

If only all the controllers were inline like the glove & chaps units. With a 1 piece suit, the contoller poking out the side leaves a bigger hole for weather than I would like. And dual controls would be a plus. I like the jacket and chaps on low, and the gloves and socks on medium. I have seen the thread here about running a seperate lead for that purpose. Maybe I will try that out.

That is about it. Good gear at a great price. Works for me.
Chris
catneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 01:16 PM   #83
bipbap
JM Speedbump

Oddometer: 612
I don't know if it was dumb luck or what, but I just tried a set of these; gloves, vest and chaps. I missed how to wire it with just one controller, so I had the vest one and the gloves controller still connected. They both worked independantly of each other, seemingly. The vest controller set the heat level for the chaps and the vest. I could set them to low and still set the gloves to high.
bipbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 01:22 PM   #84
boxertwin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,021
Jacket

I'm in the Jacket liner. I'm a 44 jacket and I bought a large. 150 mile ride at 34 to 40 degrees and remained toasty all day. Wearing a light windbreaker over the liner (under the Darien jacket) makes the liner much warmer.
boxertwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 01:43 PM   #85
Bounce
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,484
I find the jacket liner works great w/o heat in temps above 36 F. Below that the heat provided is wonderful. I've only needed it a few times since it was given to me at Christmas, but it goes with me everywhere and takes up little space. I've had no issues with the controller as long as the power cord stays plugged into the outlet and that problem would be minimized if the power cord was located on the side of the jacket instead of the front.

If you won't stand behind our troops, please stand in front of them
Bounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 05:05 PM   #86
DukeVA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 415
Synergy Jacket WTF!!! & Thank you Rick @ webbikeworld

when I first received my TM Synergy Jacket Liner I was in heaven!! It was awesome, I would ride in well below sub-freezing temps and be as comfortable as lying in bed with an electric blanket. I was happy riding with a work shirt under my TM Jacket with my armour over that. Until the day it died!! It was in the low 10's on my 45 minute commute to work! I had to ride home in absolute misery! I was pissed! to say the least. This happened within 2 weeks of receiving my Synergy Jacket.

I called the online retailer to exchange the jacket - which require I purchase a new one, the receive the refund on the old one once they receive and process my returned item.

when I received my second Synergy jacket it lasted almost 3 weeks before the controller crapped out!! Again leaving me exposed to 10 degree temps, but only this time it was on my ride home. Again very pissed off. I wrote my second strongly worded letter/email to Tourmaster, neither email was returned. I was happy to become pissed off unhappy Tourmaster customer.

This all happened yesterday, so today I ended up writing an email to the editor of webbikeworld to express my very unfavorable opinion of Tourmaster and suggested they double check their TM results.

I received a nice, warm email from the editor@webbikeworld (Rick) within 45 minutes of my sending him my message. He was very helpful and reminded me that the gear they had was still working as they had reported and put me in touch with the parent company of Tourmaster - Helmet House (800-421-7247).

I immediately called and spoke with a very nice woman named Amanda. She informed me that they were aware of this being an issue and mentioned they had a 'recall' in these controllers and they have since fixed the problem and she was sending me a free new controller today. Which I should have by Monday.

Hurray for Helmet House!!!

THank you Rick - YOU ROCK!!!!

Thank you Amanda!!! you made my day and Winter!!!

D
DukeVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 07:52 PM   #87
sekalilagi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
The jacket

So I've not actually taken mine out on the bike yet (bought it at last month's IMS show in Clevelan) but it does get warm in a hurry. I read someone asking about even-ness of the heat. Must admit I could only tolerate High for about a minute indoors. Most of heat appears contained though the belly starts to glow after a bit...prolly cause it sticks out! I've posted a couple more, one with it off and the other a backside shot...

Moderators : please accept my apologies if I've miss-posted...

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/KENADM%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/KENADM%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.jpg[/IMG]
sekalilagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 12:23 PM   #88
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,792
That's a neat video and certainly shows the even heating for the first few seconds at least (although my experience using my jacket bears that out). At risk of hijacking the thread, what system did you use to get the IR shots?
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 08:52 PM   #89
sekalilagi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
Flir

the camera is a dinosaur Indigo Alpha (names have since changed)...an uncooled medium wave unit with a whopping 160*160 pixel resolution... I've thrown a couple more up on youtube. One shows the inside vs outside. Sorry for the sloppy camera work.
sekalilagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 04:33 PM   #90
Leebo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 531
OK I am getting ready to buy a jacket but I have to say I am a bit leery of this due to all the bad controlers. Do you think all the bad ones are out of the system?
Lee
2002 Kawi Prairie 650
Leebo is offline   Reply With Quote