User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2015, 09:27 AM   #1
MotoX178 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
KTM 690 - Power, But Not Turning Over

I ran 150 miles on my new to me 2012 690 Enduro yesterday and toward the end of my trip I turned it off on the side of the trail to take a look around the area. I did this on and off all day without issue.

Well I go to start the bike, key on and ignition switched on. I hear the pump prime and the instrument cluster does its normal cycle. Hit the start button and nothing, starter does not turn over. Tried this a few times with the same result. Everything powered up but the starter made no attempt to turn over.

First I tried unhooking the battery for a few seconds then starting the bike, no change. Then I went and pulled the battery, checked all fuses, and inspected the wires that run under the battery box. Everything was fine and no loose connections found. So I put it back together and it fired right up!

So I rode it 30 miles home with no issue. I even stopped for gas and it fired right back up then. I'm leaning toward the battery being the issue since it looks original and the bike only had 1000 miles when I bought it, but I want to be sure so I do not get stranded in the woods next time.

Also the clock does not stay set correctly and I did get a new message on the instrument cluster on start up saying "SOFT" but I could find no reference to this in the owner's manual.

Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.
MotoX178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 10:49 AM   #2
MotoX178 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Looks like the clutch switch failed and it no longer starts in gear. Did not even think about this bike having such a feature.

It is not displaying "SOFT" today on the instrument cluster, still not sure what that relates to. Also the clock still does not keep the correct time. Guessing I still might have a power issue?
MotoX178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 10:58 AM   #3
SCflyer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoX178 View Post
Looks like the clutch switch failed and it no longer starts in gear. Did not even think about this bike having such a feature.

It is not displaying "SOFT" today on the instrument cluster, still not sure what that relates to. Also the clock still does not keep the correct time. Guessing I still might have a power issue?
The clock resets/changes whenever you disconnect the battery so have to reset each time. I don't recall specifically (don't have the manual handy) about the message but it's not a problem message or suspension. Any error messages will come from the FI light flashes that you have to count reference in the back of the owners manual. You may try searching "ADVrider problems with 2012 KTM 690 thread" as there was one specific though not sure if that year bike gave any more problems than any other.
Old 05-31-2015, 11:00 AM   #4
NomorBills
WesternExplorer

Oddometer: 154
If the clock is not keeping its time then that would indicate a total drop of voltage. Mine did this after I left the switch on and the headlight ran it down. Took a charge and has been good since. But it didnt take long to run down so I am thinking of a new battery also.

Kickstand switch and clutch switch will not let the starter energize. One of them could be intermitant
NomorBills is offline   Reply With Quote